Author Topic: Richmond vs Fremantle @ Optus Stadium - Round 8, 2019  (Read 12692 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond vs Fremantle @ Optus Stadium - Round 8, 2019
« on: May 06, 2019, 01:20:24 PM »
They are very even odds given we're playing Freo over there and with our long injury list to so many key players :huh.

AFL Round 8

Fremantle vs RICHMOND

Sunday, 6th May, 3:20pm WST (5:20 pm EST) @ Optus Stadium.

Odds:
Richmond   $2.00
Fremantle   $1.80

https://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2019/8/fre-v-rich

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Richmond vs Fremantle @ Optus Stadium - Round 8, 2019
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 01:23:26 PM »
Road Trip  :clapping
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 02:02:43 PM »
Match preview: Fremantle v Richmond

AFL.com.au
Travis King
May 7, 2019

Where and when: Optus Stadium, Sunday May 12, 3.20pm AWST

Last time they met: MCG, round seven, 2018: Richmond 15.20 (110) defeated Fremantle 4.9 (33)

The Tigers maintained top spot on the ladder courtesy of a 77-point thumping, with the Dockers booting just 1.3 to the long break – the equal second-lowest opening half in club history. Nat Fyfe took the three votes in a losing side for his 33-disposal, 11-clearance effort.

What it means for Fremantle:
The Dockers are right in the mix for finals a third of the way through the season but have only claimed the big scalp of Greater Western Sydney so far. Beating Richmond would help legitimise their September credentials.

What it means for Richmond: The injury-hit Tigers were flogged by the Bulldogs and victory in Perth would give them a bit of breathing space in the early-season jockeying for top eight spots. 

How Fremantle wins: The Tigers were torn apart by Aaron Naughton last round and, even if David Astbury returns from an ankle injury, Fremantle has the potent tall forwards to kick a big score given enough supply.

How Richmond wins: Breaking down the Dockers' miserly defence (AFL No.2) is no mean feat and the Tigers must take the upper hand in the midfield battle and dominate field position to put Freo's backline under pressure.

The stat:
The Dockers incredibly won clearances 43-23 last year against the Tigers, but were smacked 42-64 in inside 50s.

The match-up: Alex Pearce v Tom Lynch

Pearce is in All Australian form and blanketed in-form Crows skipper Taylor Walker last round. Blessed with speed, size and strength, he is the ideal match-up for Lynch, who has been labelled a "liability" by champion goalkicker Matthew Lloyd after booting only one goal in the past three rounds.

It’s a big week for: Reece Conca

Conca has been a useful addition and is averaging 20 disposals for the Dockers as a defensive midfielder and across half-back since his free agency switch from Richmond. There is no doubt he would love to celebrate a victory over his former side.

Big call: Matt Taberner to dominate the Tigers' defenders in the air and finish with a season-high four goals.

Prediction: Dockers by nine points

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-07/match-preview-fremantle-v-richmond

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 04:06:50 PM »
They are very even odds given we're playing Freo over there and with our long injury list to so many key players :huh.

The odds in Mondays HUN had us $1.80 faves, Freo at $1.90.

I don't think we have a hope over there, but I also thought that about the Port game  :pray
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 07:04:54 PM »

The odds in Mondays HUN had us $1.80 faves, Freo at $1.90.

I don't think we have a hope over there, but I also thought that about the Port game  :pray

We were $3.60 against Port with a point to prove, last Saturday night we already looked tired at quarter time.
Our second tier players looked spent
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Lyon warns Dockers to prepare for Tigers ‘ambush’

West Australian
9 May 2019

Fremantle coach Ross Lyon has warned his players to brace for a Richmond “ambush” as the Dockers recover from a bruising loss to Adelaide last Sunday.

Lyon revealed recruit Reece Conca had spoken about how the Tigers like to travel and how much they enjoyed coming to Perth, pointing to their stirring win against Port Adelaide as proof of how Richmond respond to adversity.

“We are expecting a really fierce clash against Richmond. They have got a really strong record here,” he said.

“We are expecting, for want of a better term, for them to try and ambush us.

“They have had their backs to the wall, they have had injuries. They have got a strong list, strong depth. They went interstate to South Australia when the world was against them and won the game convincingly.”

Lyon acknowledged that Sunday’s game was one of the toughest physically the Dockers had played in the last four years and said he instructed players to make sure they got a “gold star recovery” to prepare for the Tigers.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/afl-ross-lyon-warns-of-tigers-ambush-at-optus-stadium-ng-b881192869z

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2019, 04:32:55 PM »
Barrett hoping we get smashed.

IF ... Ross The Boss doesn't go into foot-on-throat mode against the extremely vulnerable Tigers in the Sunday twilight fixture ...

THEN ... I'll be disappointed, but not at all surprised. Please don't bore us again, Ross. Time to unleash Hogan, Walters, Fyfe.

IF ... big Naughton made a mockery of a backline minus Rance and Astbury ...

THEN ... there are equal fears for what could happen this week against Jesse Hogan.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-10/sliding-doors-round-eight

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2019, 02:07:28 AM »
There's only one Ross the Boss outside of Manowar and The Dictators....

« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 08:59:09 AM by Diocletian »
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2019, 12:47:47 PM »
Butler will be the travelling emergency.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2019, 03:06:38 PM »
“They (the Dockers) play a really good style of game that’s going to challenge us . . . They’re very well balanced in the way they play,” Hardwick said.

“Offensively, I think they’re a lot more fluent with their ball movement . . .

“Those key forwards (Hogan and Taberner), I think they lead the league in contested marks.

“Their ground balls are strong, which is a constant with Ross Lyon-coached sides . . .

“Their set-up in front and behind the ball is very strong, and their centre bounce is another area of concern.

“Defensively, they’re very strong. I think they’re ranked in the top four for that as well.

“They’ve got (Joel) Hamling down there and (Alex) Pearce. They’re just fantastic and, in fairness, if they’re in Melbourne, they’re getting a lot more credit than what they are as compared to over in Perth.

“We’re looking to improve our ball use inside 50 because Fremantle, I think, have had the least marks taken against them inside 50.

“So it’s going to be a huge challenge for us, there’s no doubt. But there’s no better place to find out about yourself than an opposition’s home deck against a side that’s going really well.

“We’re really excited about the opportunity it presents to us to play our best footy this week.”

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2019-05-11/tigers-set-for-big-test-against-dockers

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2019, 09:19:34 PM »
only one comment would have played rcd in fact would have given him  games before now.
He may not be capable of running a full game out as a mid but fmd it aint rocket science we can play him in other roles with small stints in the middle.

No one mentions it but the structure is horrid. we still have not replaced rance a kpd .imo a missed opportunity to settle Balta in his best positon at chb and play with some real size.
 we started the yr hoping to play two key fwds and when one gets injured we refuse to play another.Why couldnt we play moore who as it pans out is now probably out for the season himself.
 we are seriously lacking big mids fmd its been a long term problem and all we do is bring in mostly  small flanker types.

I just think with all the injuries we have missed some real opportunities to build some depth in some critical areas or failing that at least give others suited to the roles a go..

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2019, 01:54:39 PM »
Could be a late change for Freo.

Fremantle’s Connor Blakely is on standby to be a late inclusion after being added to the list of emergencies on Friday night.

The Dockers are believed to have several sore stars in the wake of last Sunday’s bruising encounter against Adelaide and Blakely, who has not played since round 13 last season, offers insurance in the midfield.

Source: West Australian

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2019, 03:00:44 PM »
Beautiful day on Perth.

Currently around 22 degrees

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2019, 05:00:25 PM »
AFL live site saying no late changes.

https://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2019/8/fre-v-rich

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2019, 05:28:12 PM »
Great start by Bolton and Bellis.

Dusty looking very keen
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"