Author Topic: Shaun Grigg has announced his retirement, effective immediately [merged]  (Read 3113 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Premiership player Shaun Grigg considers retirement to allow Tigers a mid-season draft pick

JON RALPH
Herald Sun
May 13, 2019 6:27pm

Richmond will be without premiership ruckman Toby Nankervis for up to two months as teammate Shaun Grigg considers retirement to allow the Tigers a mid-season draft pick.

Premiership hero Grigg is battling knee and hip injuries and at 31 is unlikely to go on next year.

The Herald Sun understands conversations are taking place with Grigg about his future and whether he might potentially pull the pin mid-season.

He is not being forced to make that call but with an AFL recall looking unlikely given his injuries retirement is one option.

It would clear the way for the Tigers to take a pick in the May 27 mid-season draft.

The club has already interviewed Coburg small forward Sam Lowson.

Midfielder Grigg has played 214 games with Richmond and Carlton and was a key factor in the 2017 premiership win as a midfielder and part-time ruckman.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/premiership-player-shaun-grigg-considers-retirement-to-allow-tigers-a-midseason-draft-pick/news-story/47c6beb71e439511eb5db7c78f86a1cd
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 03:40:36 PM by one-eyed »

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
..wouldn't be suprised if Grigg retires... :shh

:shh :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
Such a great clubman

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Hutchy reckons it will be announced in the next 24-48 hours.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
A very good man if true.

Deserves to be remembered even more fondly if this occurs.
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
RFC website has posted a 'best of Grigg' video. I wonder if that's a sign an announcement is imminent.

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2019-05-14/best-of-grigg

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Ah it is. Grigg has retired.

Richmond premiership player, Shaun Grigg has announced his retirement from AFL, effective immediately.

Recent knee and hip injuries have prevented Grigg from playing in season 2019.

“It’s been amazing to play 13 seasons of league football with two great clubs,” Grigg said.

“I’ve loved my football journey, and feel incredibly grateful for the opportunity to play this great game.

“Although it’s difficult to make the decision to call time on my own career, it may give the Club a chance to provide someone else an opportunity.”

Richmond General Manager – Football, Neil Balme said Grigg has been a class-act throughout his career.

“Shaun has been a wonderful contributor to our football club on and off the field,” he said.

“We’ve loved the way he’s gone about his football – always bringing a team-first attitude to the roles we’ve asked him to play.

“He brings a lot of fun to the Club, and has built great connections to his teammates, staff and coaches, and we will miss him.

“We wish Shaun, his wife Sarah, and their two boys Sonny and Spencer all the best in their next chapter, and they’ll always be part of the Richmond family.”

Grigg will continue to work closely with the club both on and off-field as he prepares for the next chapter in the AFL industry.

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2019-05-14/grigg-announcement

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame

Obviously another thing I just pretended to know to feel relevant ...or something..... :shh :shh

- Gustav Mahler

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Sensational clubman and a bloke who made the most of his abilities. Deserves his medal and I'm glad we traded him in. Fond memories and best wishes mate.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame

Obviously another thing I just pretended to know to feel relevant ...or something..... :shh :shh
So a guy who is 31 and got long term injuries that cannot get onto the park to even train retires and you think you are breaking the news to us all.

Edit: Leave out the insults and namecalling. OE.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 03:18:46 PM by one-eyed »

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame

- Gustav Mahler

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
his legend grows
 :thumbsup
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
I know he wasn't everyones favourite but he leaves Richmond a better place than when he started. Richmond won 57% of the games Grigg played which considering where we came from is impressive.
He kicked two goals in the 2017 final series including a very important crunch goal when it mattered most in the Grand Final.
I wish him all the best. Anyone who played in the premiership will always be a hero to me.
Unleash the tornado

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond