Author Topic: Another SHocking brain fart.... / AFL looking at reducing tackling  (Read 1557 times)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
...seriously need to pee this idiot off....he shouldn't be a feature of our game.... >:(

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/afl-racing-to-build-new-review-centre-for-finals-20190717-p5284z.html

:facepalm :facepalm :facepalm
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 02:10:32 PM by one-eyed »
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
Re: Another SHocking brain fart....
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2019, 10:44:51 PM »
WTF

Why would this clown think we're relieved that the AFL is working on reducing tackling. Are they going to make it so that each team has to pick 11 players with one arm from now on. That'd half the tackle count.

Geez
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2019, 11:55:25 PM »
Simple fix, just play holding the ball more regularly and it will cut the amount of tackles in half!

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 09:21:41 AM »
WTF

Why would this clown think we're relieved that the AFL is working on reducing tackling. Are they going to make it so that each team has to pick 11 players with one arm from now on. That'd half the tackle count.

Geez

I use to play against a guy with one arm once, no one wanted to tackle him due to fear of hurting him

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
'Stop tinkering with the rules': Hardwick on mooted tackling changes

Charlotte Grieve
The Age
18 July 2019

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick said the AFL should stop "tinkering with the rules" following football boss Steve Hocking's comments around tackling.

Hocking said the AFL is examining the issue of excessive tackling to reduce the number of collisions per game. He didn't specify the number of tackles he would like to see per game, but said tackling had become a "feature" of the game and the league wanted to change that.

Tigers coach Damien Hardwick said there should be less rules, not more.Credit:AAP

But Hardwick hit back on Thursday, saying the game has been around for a long time and his opinion was there should be no changes to the rules.

"We’ve got to be very careful with what we do. I think we’ve just got to let the game settle for a while and stop tinkering with the rules."

The coach said defensive measures kept the game close and that was a benefit to the sport.

"I think it’s the closest it's been this season in any amount of time. Is it because of the defensive tactics? Well my opinion of that is it probably is. It keeps the game closer, it keeps fans in tact which increases viewership as well," he said.

Hardwick was against the idea of reducing the number of tackles.

"We want to see three phases of the game played equally," he said.

"Just let the game sort itself out. It’s been around for a long time."

Hardwick said that if there had to be changes to the rules, he would like to see the red tape around the game reduced.

"There are so many [rules]. We’ve got rules for kicking a guy in the face, it happens once every 25 years," he said with a grin.

The number of new injuries per club has increased by more than 11 per cent this season. When asked if reducing tackling would make the game safer, Hardwick said players have a duty of care to opponents and the majority of the time that is respected.

"Guys know when they’ve got a player in a situation that could be dangerous and they limit that," Hardwick said.

"Overall our players of all the AFL clubs are very good at understanding when they’ve got a player in a compromising situation and will generally look after that guy."

At a separate press conference later in the day, Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley said he thought the AFL was in good hands, with reference to Steve Hocking and his lieutenant David Rath.

"The AFL are collecting the right information. They’re making decisions based on facts and looking at how they can influence the game in a positive manner," Buckley said.

Buckley said the "physicality" would always be a defining feature of the game, adding he assumed the move to reduce tackling would be to ease congestion.

"I think there’s got to be a combative element to the game no doubt ... We all still want to see that in the game."

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/stop-tinkering-with-the-rules-hardwick-on-mooted-tackling-changes-20190718-p528da.html

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Another SHocking brain fart.... / AFL looking at reducing tackling
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2019, 05:33:06 PM »
Oh dear

SHocking will probably fine Dimma for those comments and shout Buckley a bottle of Grange
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2019, 08:15:45 PM »
:lol
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2019, 11:28:50 AM »
I'm guessing they're talking about congestion again, not so much running/chase-down tackles.

If they paid HOTB more then we wouldn't have this issue. They usually blow the whistle as soon as a player is wrapped up despite ZERO effort to release the ball (unless you're R Conca playing for RFC vs Geelong...)