Author Topic: What's our best ruck combo?  (Read 33031 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: What's our best ruck combo?
« Reply #75 on: June 11, 2020, 11:11:44 PM »
Ruckless

With a cardboard cut-out crowd behind the goals it felt like the Tigers channelling their inner Mick Malthouse and playing a cardboard cut-out ruckman.

Toby Nankervis was left out of the team leaving Ivan Soldo to go, err, solo against Grundy and second gamer Darcy Cameron. He was given help from Riewoldt and Lynch.

Collingwood decisively won the centre clearances - 8-6 - and Grundy had the better of the night but he was not commanding.

Source: The Age

Online georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #76 on: June 11, 2020, 11:17:49 PM »
Soldo was a gun not sure better on the night just media love for me even around the ground was very good.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #77 on: June 11, 2020, 11:40:58 PM »
I’m not sure winning the centre clearances 8-6 is ‘decisive’.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #78 on: June 12, 2020, 07:01:51 AM »
I’m not sure winning the centre clearances 8-6 is ‘decisive’.

But Grundy is at least responsible for 2 of those clearances.

There were a few instances where Grundy didn't even bother competing in the ruck, stood there and waited for Soldo to tap it to him.

I thought we missed Nank last night. Especially his dropping back and filling the hole down back and his ability to impose in pur F50.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #79 on: June 12, 2020, 07:35:41 AM »
I thought soldo was average. Truth is about 15  of our blokes were ordinary last night. Id like to the hyphen given games.

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #80 on: June 12, 2020, 09:12:27 AM »
Soldo was decent I thought. Grundy outsmarted him a couple of times but he battled on pretty well and Grundy didn't dominate like he did in R1.

We had far more ineffective players than Soldo.

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #81 on: June 12, 2020, 11:26:29 AM »
Would Coleman Jones offer something more? The hyphen can also go forward and kick goals. We need to give the hyphen a chance.

Offline Tiger Tragic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #82 on: June 12, 2020, 11:31:29 AM »
Would Coleman Jones offer something more? The hyphen can also go forward and kick goals. We need to give the hyphen a chance.

Yes.  CCJ gives us two things.  Genuine ruck relief but also ability to play key forward which I think will help Jack even more.  If Jack is getting a 3rd tall forward, he is smart enough to take advantage.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #83 on: June 12, 2020, 02:03:23 PM »
Soldo was fine honestly FMD.

Grundy is the best ruck in the league and that's ahead of top shelf blokes like Gawn and Naitanui.

Nank is nowhere near as competitive in a ruck contest and CCJ would be no better either.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #84 on: June 13, 2020, 12:09:08 AM »
3. Damien Hardwick made the correct decision to play Ivan Soldo

Brodie Grundy has stamped himself has the game’s premier ruckman over the last season and a half.

A few eyebrows were raised when Damien Hardwick unveiled that Ivan Soldo would be given a one-on-one ruck match-up against the reigning All Australian, especially given the fact the Tigers had the option to play mobile ruckman Toby Nankervis in a dual-ruck set-up, similar to the 2019 grand final.

But Damien Hardwick is a two-time premiership coach for a reason.

Ivan Soldo played the game of his career, tallying 23 hit-outs along with a game-high nine tackles, which made his presence known around the ground. Soldo’s performance has all but certainly solidified him as Richmond’s number one ruckman.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2020/06/12/five-things-we-learnt-from-richmond-versus-collingwood/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #85 on: June 13, 2020, 12:12:04 AM »
Of course Kane Cornes begs to differ.

RICHMOND - Rucking big issues

Whilst Ivan Soldo was serviceable at the stoppages against Brodie Grundy on Thursday night, he offers nothing around the ground and the lack of ruck class at Richmond could develop into a major problem as the year goes on. 

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/06/12/your-clubs-fortunes-summed-up-in-three-words/

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #86 on: June 13, 2020, 12:41:01 AM »
Slomo & Nank are outdated models...need to start blooding Chol, CCJ and even Balta....skill/speed/agility/versatility/scoreboard impact....and in CCJ's case at least, contested marking...  :shh
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 03:34:54 AM by Diocletian »
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #87 on: June 13, 2020, 10:42:30 AM »
Yeah whatever we won a flag with our 2 ruck dinosaurs last year both plenty upside when CCJ and Chol a smashing the door down maybe.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #88 on: June 13, 2020, 12:05:39 PM »
We also won a flag with Grigg in the ruck....12 months later that was redundant  ...just like life, football often comes at you quickly... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #89 on: June 14, 2020, 09:54:22 AM »
I think the key is to go in with two ruckmen. Right now 2/3 of Soldo, Nank and Chol. Depending on the opponent and form of the 3.