Author Topic: Miller tells Pies he won't forget  (Read 5010 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Miller tells Pies he won't forget
« on: June 18, 2004, 01:17:10 AM »
Pies cop double blast
18 June 2004   
Herald Sun
Jon Pierik

COLLINGWOOD was last night dealt a double-barrelled blast from Brisbane and Richmond over its decision to push for a historic Good Friday clash.

Lions chief executive Michael Bowers described the proposal for the Pies to play St Kilda as a "strange one", while acting Tigers CEO Greg Miller said he was disappointed in the move.

The Easter Thursday clashes between the Magpies and Lions at the Gabba have been the highest television rating home-and-away matches in the past two seasons.

The Magpies have also opened their campaign in recent years against traditional rivals Richmond, a fixture the Tigers are keen to retain.

Bowers could not understand why the Magpies would want to end their arrangement, particularly as negotiations for the new television rights deal start later this year.

"When something is going as well as this, why tamper with it?" Bowers said.

"From our point of view, it's a no-brainer. It's a football winner and the best way to start the season."

He said the Lions hoped to play the Magpies on Easter Thursday next year.

Miller, who is also the director of football, said the Tigers wouldn't forget Magpies president Eddie McGuire's plan.

"It is disappointing they are looking elsewhere," he said.

He said it was wrong of the Pies to use finances as an excuse to end their relationship. The Pies accused Richmond of breaking their sweetheart agreement to share the proceeds of the Round 1 game just a week before the contest.

The victorious Tigers kept the cash from the MCG match. While the game attracted a disappointing crowd - 55,000 from a possible 67,000 - the Tigers went home happy because they had an agreement with the AFL to declare the clash a ticketed game.

"We are disappointed in the way they are representing it because the finance managers from both sides spoke in November 2003 and we explained why gate-sharing doesn't make financial sense for Richmond," Miller said.

He said the Pies wouldn't be given any favours in the future.

"They want to be with us one minute and then dump us the next," he said.

"We'll remember. I have a good memory."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,9877630%255E19771,00.html
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

froars

Re: Miller tells Pies he won't forget
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2004, 01:22:15 AM »
I hate the Kangas with a passion, but i hope they get the Good Friday game just to shove it up Eddie.
The guy is out of control - he's now controlling the fixture.
And didn't he look smug tonight.
GRRRRRR!!!!!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2004, 01:27:44 AM »
As much as I admire Miller sticking up for the Club against the might of Eddie and stating what actually occurred, we aren't exactly in a position to scare anyone. Pitiful performances and dull negative football don't attract crowds or tv viewers and while the AFL and Channel 9 (and hence Eddie) decide what games are on Friday (or in the case of Easter Thursday) nights we've got bugger all chance of being involved in the opening game of the season next year.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2004, 01:32:15 AM »
I'm not exactly for Good Friday footy but if Richmond wanted to be proactive they should use Greg Miller and talk to the Kangas about organizing a night game at Telstra Dome just to shove it up Eddie. Remember if this Collingwood v Saints game goes through we get screwed two ways - lose both the opening game of the season against the Pies plus the Easter Monday game against the Saints.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2004, 01:36:23 AM »
And didn't he look smug tonight.
GRRRRRR!!!!!

Always does.....well except on GF day  ;D

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2004, 01:42:59 AM »
I agree that we aren't in a position to be calling any shots.

As far as Eddie goes, the man is a capitalist whore and will stop at nothing to make an easy buck. Making money for your club is one thing, sinking to any low and trying to milk every angle and every avenue to do it is another. I'm surprised it took him so long to push for the Good Friday ticket. I'm wiht you Froars, I hope Demetriou and the lads Greek style him and put the Kangas in the match if the Good Friday game does go forward. Would serve him right. Having said that, the AFL are capitalist gang bangers themselves so its unlikely.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2004, 01:51:48 AM by JohnF »

Offline Disco

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2004, 09:48:41 AM »
Its an eddie move and is a typical and now in eddies case classic conflict of interest!
Eddie being a packer boy and all no doubt his contract is coming up for review and now with the added role of program scheduler, this should add an extra Million to his bottom line!  ???

Offline Puntroadroar

• Premiership Captain
  • Our Very own Top Gun
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2004, 11:09:10 AM »
Surely the AFL has to stamp this out, Collingwood is basically dictating who they play and where.

they just want to ride on the coat tails of any team that is up at them moment so they can cash in and call it good for football.

I hope collingwood fall flat on their face.

I cant see why Richmond doesnt go to our old rival Carlton and strike a deal, we have only played them once a season for the past 3 years, its a joke.
There's no I in team, but there is 5 i's in Individual Brilliance.

froars

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2004, 11:30:23 AM »
Good idea PRR - we have downplayed the Carlton/Richmond rivalry for too long - when we should be promoting the hatred between the teams  ;D
Both teams are on the bottom now - would not have the slightest different n the crowd size in an opening match.  It would be a sell out if it's marketed properly.

Ox

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2004, 01:53:17 PM »
Why not start a petition and send it to the afl voicing our concerns over eddie and his continuing conflicts of intrest
and efforts to monopolise the competition in a way that is beneficial to Collingwood.

This country has rules against it.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2004, 02:10:33 PM »
Why not start a petition and send it to the afl voicing our concerns over eddie and his continuing conflicts of intrest
and efforts to monopolise the competition in a way that is beneficial to Collingwood.

This country has rules against it.

Ox it does makes you sick to the stomach how Collingwood are allowed to get away with taking all the cake all the time.

Problem is the AFL relies heavily from a monetary sense on the TV rights deal and hence Channel 9. Channel 9 will argue that there's nothing against them attracting the biggest audience and ratings and the advertisement dollar that flows from that. Eddie will claim it's not his fault he's the president of the club which has the biggest crowds (we use to have that title for many years  :'() and biggest tv audience share. They've got the AFL around their little finger and as Richard Nixon once said "When you've got them by the balls, their hearts and minds go with them".

Ox

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2004, 02:22:43 PM »
Once again your correct.

Something has to be done though.

They're also a rabble with hacks like Shaw,Davis etc but are a valued commodity
because of their marketing power.

Does PACKER follow Colonwood to?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2004, 02:45:20 PM »
Packer's a rugby league man but from memory he does "support" the Pies. Well while Eddie pulls in the dough for Channel 9 that's no surprise.

Agree something needs to be done but I can only see the situation changing if Channel 7 wins back the rights. That however its up for renewal until around 2007.

I agree Collingwood are crap but only on-field. Off-field they now have a stable board, stable admin, stable coach and 40,000 members. It's easy to make money at Collingwood as their supporters think their side is the greatest even when they are crap. No wonder they've only one one flag in 45 years. More interested in making money than winning flags. Ironically when they were losing money before Eddie arrived ($1 mill in 1999?) they had a dud coach (Tony Shaw) who had a negative and boring style of play that relied on ageing senior players who continually failed - Patterson, Watson, Sav, Mark Richardson. Guess who was an assistant?

Ox

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2004, 02:57:06 PM »
It's easy to make money at Collingwood as their supporters think their side is the greatest even when they are crap

Classy classic! ;D

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2004, 02:58:40 PM »
Believe it or not part of the problem is indirectly the other Victorian based teams that ask for 2 games a year against the Pies because they know they will get a crowd.

The AFL argue they try and accomodate these requests to help the stuggling Clubs out - what a crock!

PRR and froars are right - let's use the Tiger -v- Blue rivalry and kick off the season that way.

And you want to know whay we play so many interstate games? Because all the interstate teams request Richmond because 1/ they know they cannot get C'wood but 2/ they get big crowds when we play them.

Regarding the TV - the only good news on that front is the fact that Channel 7 have the last rights to bid for the next TV rights deal. They had the same option last time and chose not too. The others have to put their bids in and Channel 7 have the right to put in the final bid. I don't think there is much doubt that they will use that right this time round.

That would be speccccccccccciaaaaall ;)
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)