Author Topic: Castagna on RSN927/ Wary of Lions but we feel better placed for finals this year  (Read 502 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
RSN Breakfast Club - Jason Castagna

Listen here: https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=421544

------------------------------------

Richmond defeated the Brisbane Lions in the final home and away round to secure a finals double chance and the two teams shape up again on Saturday night in a Qualifying Final.

And while the Tigers had a relatively comfortable win at the MCG, Richmond forward Jason Castagna said the Tigers were wary of their opponents as they headed to the Gabba.

He told RSN927’s Breakfast Club that the Tigers didn’t play to their best potential against the Lions and were excited to come up against the same side with what was learned at the MCG.

But Castagna added that he anticipated the Lions would bring a similar game plan but also expected there could be some changes to their style and they might be prepared to take more risks.

“We are preparing for a bit of both from the Lions and hopefully we can come away with a win,” Castagna said.

The Tigers won the 2017 premiership and were beaten by Collingwood in last year’s Preliminary Final and Castagna believes the lessons learned from both seasons would prove beneficial.

“I think we all feel better-placed to tackle the finals this season,” he said.

Castagna said the use of Jack Riewoldt and Tom Lynch in key forward positions had strengthened the Tiger forward line.

“We can count on our key forwards. I know if I can get front and centre, I will get the chance to get the ball or either of the big blokes will mark it,” he said.

Castagna said the Tigers had a lot more to look forward to as there was still a lot to improve on.

“We are giving ourselves the best chance to win and we are confident that if we stick to our best footy, it will give us the best chance for us to win.”

https://www.rsn.net.au/tigers-head-to-the-gabba-wary-of-lions-resurgence/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
The 23-year-old played all but one of Richmond’s home and away games this year, averaging 14.6 disposals and 5.9 score involvements per game.

He has booted 24 goals in 2019, highlighted by a career-high five-goal haul against Gold Coast in Round 16.

My first season really playing consistent footy in 2017 and going on to win a flag was pretty amazing,” Castagna said.

“Last year…once we dropped out of the prelim it was a bit of a realisation that it’s not that easy.

“This year, with a fair bit more experience in the game, I’m pretty keen and feel like I’m in a better place this year to tackle the finals.”

Castagna has long made up a part of Richmond’s dangerous ‘mosquito fleet’. He has, however, relished the change up in the Tigers’ forward line this year, headed by the addition of Tom Lynch pairing up with fellow tall Jack Riewoldt.

“Personally, I’ve found it great…I can get front and centre and know that the ball is going to come to ground, and if not, that they’re going to mark it,” he said.

“I love playing with both of them.”

Castagna said Richmond has taken plenty of learnings out of their Round 23 meeting.

“I think we gained a lot (from the win over Brisbane), it was a good win but we still came away thinking that we didn’t play to our full potential and took a lot of learnings out of it,” he said.

“I think there’s still a lot we can improve on, so we’re pretty excited to come up against them again.

“We’re pretty confident if we stick to our best footy (throughout finals), we’ll give ourselves the best chance.”

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2019-09-06/castagna-excited-to-tackle-finals