Author Topic: RFC Internet  (Read 2756 times)

PuntRdRoar

RFC Internet
« on: April 12, 2006, 10:29:17 PM »
I was looking tonight at some sporting internet sites, then compared those with ours and those that Telstra has done for the AFL clubs and its simply amazing how if you invest a little bit in your own internite site, you get a really good profitable site. I think all the Telstra ones suck. Including ours. And I would like to see us have the balls to invest some cash in our own like Essendon. An internet site where you can order stuff, which has Richmond TV- which runs maybe the highlight packages from games and the individual highlight packages of players from game to game and interviews with the coaching staff and players, and a video library where you can download matches and other videos relating to our club, where you can do some proper advertising of your sponsors, where you can buy memberships and tickets to events and functions. I dont think any of Telstra's sites do those things.

I suggest people look at the english premier league sites- Ive had a look at them all and the ones I favor for there design and layout include

Top 3

West Ham United
West Bromich Albion
Newcastle United

Next Best

Wigan Athletic
Portsmouth
Manchester City
Fulham
Birmingham

Imagine, being able to download say full games for like $5 or individual player packs for $3 or when the club has a major event like the Hall of Fame Night and you cant go but you can get to see it for like $5- if you utilise your membership properly you can make alot of money as club from the Net I reckon and Richmond should be doing more.

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Once a Tiger always a Tiger
Re: RFC Internet
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 04:22:24 AM »
Go get em!! Ramps. :thumbsup

Even Telstras own website is crap and as for members not being able to access things like Terry on Tuesday and other club related media because they do not subscribe to bigpond is discriminatory in my book.

Twice this week i have emailed the club about problems with the website not being up to date for no answer.

So much for the information highway :lol :banghead

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 05:11:49 PM »
Even Telstras own website is crap and as for members not being able to access things like Terry on Tuesday and other club related media because they do not subscribe to bigpond is discriminatory in my book.

Totally agree Mopsy. Those sites are in Telstra's interests not footy's nor the RFC's. Every club member should be able to access footage regardless of which carrier they choose.  The Bombers' site puts the others to shame. Sadly Telstra will wave a big load of cash at the AFL and the AFL will say yes  :scream
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 06:26:34 PM »
Let's get up a petition and enlist support from the other fan sites as well or we could have passive resistance and just bombard their website with complaining emails.

Moi

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006, 07:04:11 PM »
The new Rookie site is a farce as well - dead as and a waste of effort.
All they should have done was just open up a footy tipping comp on footytips.com, because the only time you go to the Rookie forum is to put your tips in.  The site doesn't change at all.  A bit of a con.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2006, 07:46:51 PM »
I am not a fan of the Telstra web-sites either..

But it is worth remembering that the Bombers web-site is a result of a significant sponsorship arrangement it had (and may still have with Channel 7) and that is the reason that the stood alone.

For any club to run their only web-site they would need some form of sponsorship to make it work

I've read with interest that the AFL are asking for $20 million a year for their new internet rights deal (Telstra currently pay $5 million a year :o) see below part of the story in today's HUN....

..."Telstra currently holds the new media rights, for an estimated $5 million a year for 2002-06, but last week allowed to lapse an exclusivity arrangement with the AFL relating to the next deals.

It is understood Telstra baulked at a $20 million a year request from the AFL, opening up the field of prospective bidders to many competitors.

Telstra remains prominent in the running but other interested parties include Vodafone and Hutchison, which operates the popular 3 service.

Media outlets ninemsn, of which PBL is a partner, and Yahoo are also expected to consider bidding for some, or all, of the new media rights.

In January, Seven and Yahoo formed a joint venture web portal, an arrangement that would benefit significantly should it obtain the AFL's new media rights. ..."

From: http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,18801982%255E20322,00.html

If we are lucky CLubs may get a better deal

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Ox

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2006, 08:22:13 PM »
What a joke.

Can the club own and operate its own website ?

The Telstra one is a constant reminder to never go with them.

Most pathetic,neglectful excuse for a professional sporting website iin the enitirety of professional sport..

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2006, 08:55:17 PM »
All they should have done was just open up a footy tipping comp on footytips.com, because the only time you go to the Rookie forum is to put your tips in.  The site doesn't change at all.  A bit of a con.

I'm with you there Moi.

We have your $66 thank you very much :sleep

Now Humm has moved on what about some news on Howat to add to the no further new from Angus.

Even on the official website they do not consider the rookies important enough to paste their vital statistics (another of my emails in the delete bin) :scream

I would have thought that the word Club meant something for all not for a few.

Moi

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2006, 09:17:48 PM »

We have your $66 thank you very much :sleep

Now Humm has moved on what about some news on Howat to add to the no further new from Angus.

Even on the official website they do not consider the rookies important enough to paste their vital statistics (another of my emails in the delete bin) :scream

I would have thought that the word Club meant something for all not for a few.

Precisely.  The news on these kids and Angus should be for all the members - they paid their memberships too.  We got the kid with the $66, chuck in the footy tips for the select few and what other goodies  :sleep they promised, but all members should be in the loop about what's happening with every player.  For those who didn't join, you saved yourself some money lol.

Richmond has always been slack with how they treat their members.  They're better lately (they have to be), but customer service in the past hasn't been a huge priority.  The Bombers do everything better and they reap the results in their membership, off field ventures etc. 

The Internet is the future but we still live in the past.  Well managed, and they could derive untold benefits.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2006, 06:36:23 PM »
I am not a fan of the Telstra web-sites either..

But it is worth remembering that the Bombers web-site is a result of a significant sponsorship arrangement it had (and may still have with Channel 7) and that is the reason that the stood alone.

Any idea roughly what that would be worth WP?

I've read with interest that the AFL are asking for $20 million a year for their new internet rights deal (Telstra currently pay $5 million a year :o) see below part of the story in today's HUN....

I guess you get what you pay for. $5m into 15 clubs is just $333k each  :P.

Let's hope some competition in the bidding process gives us a decent website that is in our supporters/members interests; not just the carrier. Hope there's someway the RFC can have a major say in the design of its own site.

Quote from: fOx-)(
Can the club own and operate its own website ?

Not until the current deal expires.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2006, 09:30:48 PM »

Any idea roughly what that would be worth WP?

Not sure MT but it was a significant amount of $$$$ which meant it cost EFC nothing to set up

I do know under the current arrangement with the Telstra the AFL get there $5 million an outside that there is some other deal where clubs get extra $$$ from Telstra based on the number of hits the site receives.

Let's hope some competition in the bidding process gives us a decent website that is in our supporters/members interests; not just the carrier. Hope there's someway the RFC can have a major say in the design of its own site.

What I'd be looking at if I was the RFC is before agreeing to anything I'd be talking to the other bidders (those who don't get the gig) and see if they are prepared to do solo deal with a single club and look at that option - as long as at a minimum it pays as well as the current deal I seriously look at that
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2006, 11:10:33 PM »
What I'd be looking at if I was the RFC is before agreeing to anything I'd be talking to the other bidders (those who don't get the gig) and see if they are prepared to do solo deal with a single club and look at that option - as long as at a minimum it pays as well as the current deal I seriously look at that

Sounds good to me WP  :thumbsup.

What a joke the current Telstra situation is. "Live" stats that lasts only to half-time before it can't cope then only restarts working after the game has finished  ::).

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2006, 02:36:27 PM »
Just had a look at all of the other AFL club sites. Sadly Collingwood seem to have the best site. Maybe they invest more in there site than we do, im not sure if Telstra does theres as well...but I website needs to get a serious update. Looking at the Pies website and some of the previously mentioned EPL sites would be a good start.

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2006, 03:05:40 PM »
Just had a look at all of the other AFL club sites. Sadly Collingwood seem to have the best site. Maybe they invest more in there site than we do, im not sure if Telstra does theres as well...but I website needs to get a serious update. Looking at the Pies website and some of the previously mentioned EPL sites would be a good start.

Did you notice they are still advertising the the Tigers den will be open on Anzac Day  :sleep:banghead

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2006, 03:29:52 PM »

essendonfc.com.au creams the lot of them IMO. Sheesh they even have pics of Richmond's Rioli, Krak and Blingers to advertise the dreamtime game. Agree though Ramps the Pies have the best of the Telstra sites. Just a few simple additions and touches and a well-planned and regularly updated page can make a huge difference. Websites aren't that hard to make once you know how. You just need to be prepared to put in the time.