Author Topic: Richmond vs GWS @ the M.C.G. --- 2019 GRAND FINAL  (Read 34561 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Richmond vs GWS @ the M.C.G. --- 2019 GRAND FINAL
« Reply #60 on: September 26, 2019, 12:47:37 PM »
Who should Matt de Boer tag in Saturday's Grand Final?

By SEN
26 Sep 2019

SEN Breakfast host Garry Lyon has crunched the numbers of Richmond’s Dustin Martin and Dion Prestia, in order to shed some light on who Matt de Boer should tag in Saturday’s Grand Final.

De Boer tagged Martin when the Giants faced the Tigers in Round 3, but Lyon is suggesting Prestia could be a real option on Saturday.

“Prestia’s been extraordinary since the bye,” he said on SEN Breakfast.

“This is why the argument is made for Prestia.

“From the AFL rankings, this is in the competition, (he is ranked) six for disposals, three for metres gained, 17 for clearances, four for score involvements and 14 for pressure.

“They’re the numbers that the Giants footy club is looking at right now and working out where de Boer goes.

“Don’t, for one second, underestimate the Prestia influence.

“Don’t for one second underestimate how important he’s been for that footy club.”

Essendon great Tim Watson understands why Prestia is in the conversation, but believes Martin is the obvious choice because “he’s the most destructive player in Richmond’s team.”

Lyon outlined how de Boer quelled Martin's influence in GWS' 49-point win over Richmond in Round 3.

“Round 3, he got under Dustin’s skin,” Lyon said.

“Kept him to season-low ranking points,second fewest touches, second fewest contested possessions, second fewest metres gained and the lowest goals and assists for the season.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/09/26/who-should-matt-de-boer-tag-in-saturdays-grand-final/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond wary of Giants' Dusty silencer (Nine)
« Reply #61 on: September 26, 2019, 01:38:00 PM »
Richmond wary of Giants' Dusty silencer

By Anna Harrington
wwos.NINE.com.au
26 September 2019

Richmond forward Jason Castagna says the Tigers will be out to look after any of their midfielders who cop a tough tag in Saturday's AFL grand final.

In round three, GWS tagger Matt de Boer restricted Dustin Martin to 15 disposals and got under his skin, with the star Tiger suspended for striking Adam Kennedy off the ball and also fined for flipping the bird and making snorting gestures.

"(It's) maybe not so much a lesson but more a reminder that we need to look after our blokes," Castagna told AAP.

"And if Dusty's getting tagged or if it's Cotch (Trent Cotchin) or whoever, then we'll just look out for them and give them the support they need."

The Giants forced their way into the grand final with three aggressive performances but Castagna said the Tigers were prepared for whatever their opponent threw at them.

"They've looked like they've kind of really tried to physically impose themselves during the finals, so we'll expect that again," he said.

"And I'm sure we'll deal with it fine, I'm just looking forward to the challenge."

The Tigers had to grind through a tough preliminary final against Geelong and Castagna said that gritty performance would hold them in good stead for Saturday.

"I think we've definitely looked at it as a positive thing - having a tough game before the grand final," he said.

"I think having a real grind and having them get the jump on us early and then us fighting back will just give us belief if we find ourselves in that position again that we can come back and win."

In 2017 Castagna was in his first consistent AFL season when he found himself caught up in a remarkable ride to a breakthrough premiership.

Now he's part of a team that experienced disappointment in 2018 and is hungry for redemption.

"It feels good this time around. It seems like it was a lot harder - that prelim was a real grind and I guess being there in 2017, (then) missing 2018, I realised it's not that easy. I'm really pumped to be there again," he said.

"I've learned a heap. I guess 2017 (was) my first consistent year of footy - I was just trying to cement my spot and a flag came up.

"But another two years under my belt, I feel a lot more poised and ready to take the finals on and a grand final."

https://wwos.nine.com.au/afl/tigers-ready-to-deal-with-giants-tagger/c41cfe92-835a-4e33-a559-335b0ceb8a20

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #62 on: September 26, 2019, 02:34:58 PM »
Tom Browne @TomBrowne7

Phil Davis now fits into the serious question mark category. Probably the biggest footy grand final story so far today in my opinion. Sources are worried the pool session / back pain might be related to management of the calf too.

https://twitter.com/TomBrowne7
Giants' footy manager Cambo has said Whitfield and Davis will play.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #63 on: September 26, 2019, 02:49:52 PM »
Elbows to Whitfield's guts. knees to Davis' calves, bumps to his shoulders....#noholdsbarred :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2019, 04:36:09 PM »
Giants captain Phil Davis on the the flight to Melbourne. Playing gear in tow @7NewsMelbourne #AFLGF.

https://twitter.com/_AMcCormack7

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
The two young Giants that Richmond must not underestimate (SEN)
« Reply #65 on: September 27, 2019, 02:47:38 AM »
The two young Giants that Richmond must not underestimate

By SEN
26 Sep 2019

Terry Wallace has pinpointed GWS pair Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper as players Richmond must not underestimate in the Grand Final.

The two young Giants have had breakout years, both averaging over 26 disposals a game.

"Tiger fans out there, don’t whatever you do underestimate their two young midfielders who have now become stars – they’re stars of the game," Wallace told SEN Afternoons.

"We’re talking about Jacob Hopper and we’re talking about Tim Taranto. If you look at their numbers, they are now absolutely living up with the elite midfielders – the absolute best midfielders in the competition.

"Don’t underestimate them whatever you do."

Wallace believes the Tigers will need to negate their impact in certain areas to get on top in the midfield battle.

“They are super strong in winning their own footy,” Wallace said.

“Taranto can do it both ways, he is an overlap player, who is a high inside 50 number player. Hopper is more your (Patrick) Cripps type … he’s the really combative one.”

“For Richmond, Hopper is dangerous at the coalface because that is a major strength of GWS over Richmond is clearance.

“Taranto is a danger, he is damaging and he will get inside 50 and high inside 50 numbers if not looked after well enough. He will supply (Jeremy) Cameron, (Harry) Himmelberg and (Jeremy) Finlayson if given opportunities.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/09/26/the-two-young-giants-that-richmond-need-to-stop/

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #66 on: September 27, 2019, 08:05:03 AM »
Gee I like that Hopper. Great player!

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #67 on: September 27, 2019, 08:55:40 AM »
The Giants have a very good midfield. Definitely need to curb it.

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #68 on: September 27, 2019, 11:30:00 AM »
To curb there influence we need to bring the heat with our pressure and tackle count forward through to midfield. Don't give them clean ball and time to built.Force them wide to.If we need to tag someone who do we use ?.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #69 on: September 27, 2019, 01:16:27 PM »
I heard a whisper that we may spring a late change
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #70 on: September 27, 2019, 01:27:54 PM »
Phil Davis did nothing at their training today. He hasn't trained all week.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #71 on: September 27, 2019, 06:21:00 PM »
I heard a whisper that we may spring a late change
Mark Stevens on Ch 7 news said our preparation has been smooth and we'll go in as selected.

Ch 10 news said the Giants are giving Davis up until the start of the game before making the call. Keefe to replace him if there's a change. However, Tom Browne on Ch 7 said Davis gave him the "thumbs up" so he expects Davis to play even though Davis did nothing at their training session today and wasn't even wearing footy boots.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #72 on: September 27, 2019, 06:57:57 PM »
Pretty pumped we are there again folks, bit unreal really, didn't even think we were a sniff after all the injuries.  Last year I thought we were a pretty good shot but this year I thought we would be watching two other teams, and the Giants weren't one of them either.
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Ivan Drago Giants ready to KO Rocky Balboa Tigers: Brereton (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #73 on: September 27, 2019, 08:18:50 PM »
Ivan Drago Giants ready to KO Rocky Balboa Tigers

Dermott Brereton
Herald Sun
27 September 2019

The Giants reached their first two preliminary finals that way.

They were better than the opposition that the Premiers — Western Bulldogs in 2016 and Richmond in 2017 — faced on Grand Final day.

And the young Giants of ‘17 were not overawed playing in front of 94,000 mainly Tigers fans at the MCG.

Their core players haven’t lost their talent, it’s just that this time they have made their way through the final series with raw power and real grunt.

They have bashed and crashed their way to this Grand Final.

In the past four games, they increased their physical output each time they stepped on to the park.

If it increases again, look out.

If Richmond are the Rocky Balboa of the league, the Giants have stepped back into the ring as Ivan Drago.

With Lachie Whitfield’s return from keyhole surgery last week for appendicitis, the Giants will field six players who were originally selected inside the top 10 in their respective draft years.

Add Jeremy Cameron to that list because of his status pre-draft — 17-year-old access selection — and they have seven top-10 draft picks.

The talent is there, no doubt. But what might surprise a few is six players started as humble rookies.

Don’t just think of the Giants as white-collar workers. They have more than their fair share of players who did it the hard way.

I had the privilege of working with the young Giants forwards in the early years and I was annoyed by the frequent trash talk in the media.

Melbourne media described a group of spoiled brats who had been handed a cushy lifestyle and an easy entry pass to AFL success.

Rumours suggested they were comfortable with themselves.

Those rumour-mongers didn’t see these kids front up to training to learn each week after 15-goal losses each game. Each week I’d see these kids, see their emotions and see their self-confidence had been walloped.

I’d talk about what they needed to keep doing and how they could train various techniques into their repertoire that would benefit them in the short and long-term.

You could see their spirits rise, see them try the next weekend, and see the team fail again by another big margin.

The next training run, the entire process would start again. And through its unique circumstance, these talented kids have learned resilience.

All the way through were two youngsters who did not like losing. Not that anyone does, but these two hated it with a passion.

And they played with a 1970s mentality that if you played against them and beat them, they would try to do something to you that would make you think twice the next time you played them.

One was named Jeremy and the other was Toby.

I would tell my media mates long before his first suspension that Jeremy Cameron will be no stranger to the tribunal.

And my mates would ask how this first-year kid Toby Greene, playing in the middle for the Giants, so good at finding the footy?

I’d tell them Toby’s a little different to your average 18-year-old. He’s got swagger and he fears nothing. Not a thing.

Those two young men have grown into warriors who happen to have real class as footballers.

I have always had a soft spot for the Tigers. I donated back in the day to the Save Our

Skins Appeal and I have loved watching the Tigers over the past six or seven seasons.

It’s hard not to love a rags-to-riches story.

Inspired by their journey, I bought a Tigers membership a couple of years ago even though they had a habit of exiting in the first week of the finals.

But now they are the competition’s pacesetters.

I have loved seeing these young Giants become men and now they are being rewarded for all their efforts.

To see young lads grow up and into their dreams is as fulfilling for me as it is for former Giants football manager Graeme ‘Gubby’ Allan.

Many others contributed to the rise of the Giants, but he has his fingerprints all over this club.

The Tigers are starting as warm favourites.

But, just like in the movie, if Richmond is the Rocky Balboa of this game and ends up beating the GWS as Ivan Drago, it just might take such a beating like Rocky did, that he might never fully recover.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/gws/dermott-brereton-ivan-drago-giants-can-ko-rocky-balboa-tigers-even-if-they-lose-grand-final/news-story/14a790dadc59b6dadf6bc2f1e388aae6

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Six battles that will decide the Grand Final: David King (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #74 on: September 27, 2019, 08:25:09 PM »
Six battles that will decide the Grand Final

David King
Herald Sun
28 September 2019

Richmond and the GWS have outplayed and outlasted 16 rivals to have a crack at being crowned Premiers. But there’s no silver medallist in AFL — it’s winner take all.

Here are my six “premiership points” that could dictate the result in the final 120 minutes of the season.

Replay the 2019 Toyota AFL Grand Final in full on KAYO SPORTS. Get your 14 day free trial and start streaming instantly >

HAND v FOOT

Will Richmond’s forward-handball game beat the Giants’ pure kicking dexterity? Who will execute more effectively under Grand Final pressure?

Clearly handballing is easier and, while inviting harassment from the Giants, the Tigers have mastered exiting tight, overcrowded or congested spaces.

The Giants’ long kicking will need to avoid Dylan Grimes and company, who will hold their positions across the half back flank.

The Giants’ counter-attack kicking game is aggressive and spectacular in full flight. Lachie Whitfield and Zac Williams are not your standard midfielders and if given time and space they’ll separate this game.

The teams possess different ball movement methodology, but the Tigers have the AFL’s most scores created from the defensive half. Richmond “runs and guns” like no other.

CLEARANCES

IT’S a case of “Operation 31”. The Giants are six losses and three wins when they’ve scored 31 points or less from stoppages, yet they’re 13 wins and three losses when they score more than 31 points from stoppages. It’s a simple equation.

Either the Giants continue with their clearance weaponry and have success, or the Tigers force them to find another way to score. And if they can’t, it’s Tiger time.

The Giants score heavily from clearances and average 10 points a game more than their direct opponent.

Jacob Hopper, Tim Taranto and Matt De Boer will be face-to-face with Trent Cotchin, Dion Prestia and Dustin Martin. But it’s Whitfield and Williams at first handball receive positions off clearance who do the real damage.

Expect Dan Rioli and Shai Bolton to be sweating on them as they roll up from their half-forward positions.

Richmond’s clearance game isn’t a priority for coach Damien Hardwick, but it must defend lost clearances like never before. If Richmond wins the clearances, it will win the game.

But Richmond has only won the clearance battle four times this season.

TURNOVERS

THIS time it’s “Operation 36”. The Tigers are the AFL’s most difficult team to move the football against as they consistently force their opposition to turn it over.

Since Round 15, Richmond has scored 63 of its 98-point average from turnovers from forward-half pressure.

Richmond is comfortably No. 1 in the competition in this category.

Geelong’s plan last week was to force the Tigers to find another way of scoring by conceding only 24 points on exiting the defensive half with safer, slower ball use.

That was a two-goal saving on Richmond’s 34-point average, which doesn’t sound significant, but is considerable in a small-margin game.

The Tigers were 15 wins from 16 games when they got more than 36 points from forward-half turnovers. Yet, they were three wins from eight games when they had 36 points or fewer.

If GWS cannot control the football exiting its defensive end, shut the gate.

CAMERON’S CLAMPS

GWS coach Leon Cameron supposedly coaches for talent. But make no mistake, he refuses to allow the opposition’s elite talent to perform on their own terms.

“Cameron’s Clamps” have become a major factor in the Giants’ recent success.

De Boer’s scalps in the past month are Lachie Neale, Marcus Bontempelli and Scott Pendlebury, who were kept to season-low disposal tallies. Prestia is in for a tough day.

The roles of Harry Perryman and Adam Kennedy as pseudo-taggers with a defensive mindset have been understated. They remain actively involved when GWS has possession. Shane Edwards and Bachar Houli are prime candidates for the pseudo taggers.

PREMIERSHIP QUARTER

THE start is critical for belief and the opportunity to commit a matchwinning lead, but it’s just as important to restart after the main break.

The “Premiership Quarter” has always been the third term in the Grand Final.

The winner of the third term in the past five years has won the flag.

The Tigers outscored Brisbane and Geelong by four and five goals respectively over the past two outings — after the halftime break. The Giants smashed Collingwood at the clearance to reap a four-goal to zero third quarter last Saturday.

THE MOMENTS

EVERY Grand Final has moments that matter more than others. The Matthew Scarlett toe poke, Leo Barry’s intercept mark or Jeremy McGovern’s dare to create late in the Grand Final last year.

There’ll be opportunities for more legacy moments on Saturday. The game now gives star players more chances to be that player. It might be Martin or Cotchin, but I get the feeling Toby Greene will create another.

The climax to our season will be a cracker.

Will it be the regimented yet ruthless Richmond, or the big sound from Sydney’s west?

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/david-king-breaks-down-the-six-key-battles-that-will-decide-the-grand-final/news-story/52ee4f67edb3495cbce042dcb481360c