Author Topic: Under this model the premiers wouldn’t have got Tom Lynch: King (Fox)  (Read 2134 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Free agency gave Richmond Tom Lynch — but under this model the premiers wouldn’t have got him

October 4, 2019
Sarah Olle
FOX SPORTS

David King has made the bold call that top-four teams should be precluded from receiving free agents — or at least, teams that have made the top-four two years in a row.

The AFL great said the current format benefits clubs at the top of the ladder, with the gap between the rest of the pack growing each trade period.

Richmond was the latest club to benefit from free agency, with Gold Coast Suns forward Tom Lynch choosing Punt Road Oval as his new home. Twelve months later he has a flag.

But under King’s model, Lynch wouldn’t have had the option to go to the Tigers, who made the preliminary finals in 2018.

“I think when we signed up for (free agency) the equalisation measures, the pillars, are gone,” King told Fox Footy’s Trading Day.

“The draft doesn’t do what it’s supposed to do, the salary cap doesn’t do what it’s supposed to do.

“We see Tom Lynch come to Richmond, players take pay cuts to get a superstar in like that, so the salary cap — while it impacts once every three or four years at each club — it doesn’t rule the roost like it should.

“I think if you finish top-four in the competition, maybe in two consecutive years, you’re not able to get involved in free agency until you fall out of the top-four and become part of the pack.”

It’s unlikely the AFL Players’ Association would acquiesce to such conditions.

Free agency has opened the door for players like Lynch, who’ve served at the bottom placed clubs, to experience not only playing finals, but winning a flag.

But King said that wasn’t the way other sporting codes operated and that the AFL should conform to world standards.

“It happens around the world and it seems to work,” King said.

“We’ve got to give those clubs stuck in the middle or down the bottom a chance because clearly the sell for Richmond, and other clubs at the top, is too easy.”

What’s perhaps even more perverse is that Brandon Ellis’ departure to the Gold Coast Suns could give Richmond a compensation pick in the draft, which could be as low as Pick 19, one pick after the Tigers’ first selection at the draft.

Herald Sun journalist Jon Ralph suggested one way to help equalise free agency would be to do away with compensation for top-eight clubs, while St Kilda great Leigh Montagna said there would be more balance if players became free agents after six years of service.

Under the current model in which free agency was activated after eight years, Montagna said players became a “bit itchy” and would naturally search for success at the top clubs.

“If you can have free agency at six years you can sell the bigger picture to a club that’s rebuilding,” Montagna said.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-trade-period-2019-david-king-says-topfour-clubs-shouldnt-have-access-to-free-agents/news-story/7d5ce75a21612505657495235806308e

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
Re: Under this model the premiers wouldn’t have got Tom Lynch: King (Fox)
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2019, 06:02:38 PM »
Nobody gives a poo when we were down, they were rorting the system, tanking, exploiting every loophole.  Now they want to move the goal posts even though we have done nothing except finally find some success, and they cannot stand it.
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2019, 06:09:37 PM »
When St.George won 11 GF's in a row in the old NSWRL comp back in the 50's & 60's they constantly changed the rules of the game to to try and stop them...most notably going from unlimited tackles to four tackles before settling on the set of six we see today.... hope we go one better & do a twelvepeat....the AFL will probably disband & dissolve itself... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2019, 06:42:06 PM »
What King is sprouting is a backwards move. It would no longer be free agency as there would be restrictions on where a player can move.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2019, 07:35:45 PM »
When St.George won 11 GF's in a row in the old NSWRL comp back in the 50's & 60's they constantly changed the rules of the game to to try and stop them...most notably going from unlimited tackles to four tackles before settling on the set of six we see today.... hope we go one better & do a twelvepeat....the AFL will probably disband & dissolve itself... :shh

Everyone knows that at worst we are about to head off on a 5-peat, potentially more.... :shh
AFL and the other clubs are quaking in their boots...... :shh :shh
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2019, 07:56:57 PM »
You can't have your cake and eat it too.  Either you want players to move or you don't.  Players want to go to successful clubs. 

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2019, 11:30:30 PM »
What King is sprouting is a backwards move. It would no longer be free agency as there would be restrictions on where a player can move.

it also wouldn't stand up in the courts. it would be a clear restraint of trade against a player who has an opportunity to go to a successful club.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2019, 05:47:37 AM »
It is pure stupid whinging, the salary cap will keep you from pillaging every big name on the books

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2019, 09:36:07 AM »
Your not that AFL David and no one cares about your suggestions.  Your wrong about so many things it's not funny anymore but your always right after the fact.

Offline Tazzytiger

• Future Richmond star
  • Tiger in my tank !
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2019, 12:36:34 PM »
Free agency gave Richmond Tom Lynch — but under this model the premiers wouldn’t have got him

October 4, 2019
Sarah Olle
FOX SPORTS

David King has made the bold call that top-four teams should be precluded from receiving free agents — or at least, teams that have made the top-four two years in a row.

The AFL great said the current format benefits clubs at the top of the ladder, with the gap between the rest of the pack growing each trade period.

Richmond was the latest club to benefit from free agency, with Gold Coast Suns forward Tom Lynch choosing Punt Road Oval as his new home. Twelve months later he has a flag.

But under King’s model, Lynch wouldn’t have had the option to go to the Tigers, who made the preliminary finals in 2018.

“I think when we signed up for (free agency) the equalisation measures, the pillars, are gone,” King told Fox Footy’s Trading Day.

“The draft doesn’t do what it’s supposed to do, the salary cap doesn’t do what it’s supposed to do.

“We see Tom Lynch come to Richmond, players take pay cuts to get a superstar in like that, so the salary cap — while it impacts once every three or four years at each club — it doesn’t rule the roost like it should.

“I think if you finish top-four in the competition, maybe in two consecutive years, you’re not able to get involved in free agency until you fall out of the top-four and become part of the pack.”

It’s unlikely the AFL Players’ Association would acquiesce to such conditions.

Free agency has opened the door for players like Lynch, who’ve served at the bottom placed clubs, to experience not only playing finals, but winning a flag.

But King said that wasn’t the way other sporting codes operated and that the AFL should conform to world standards.

“It happens around the world and it seems to work,” King said.

“We’ve got to give those clubs stuck in the middle or down the bottom a chance because clearly the sell for Richmond, and other clubs at the top, is too easy.”

What’s perhaps even more perverse is that Brandon Ellis’ departure to the Gold Coast Suns could give Richmond a compensation pick in the draft, which could be as low as Pick 19, one pick after the Tigers’ first selection at the draft.

Herald Sun journalist Jon Ralph suggested one way to help equalise free agency would be to do away with compensation for top-eight clubs, while St Kilda great Leigh Montagna said there would be more balance if players became free agents after six years of service.

Under the current model in which free agency was activated after eight years, Montagna said players became a “bit itchy” and would naturally search for success at the top clubs.

“If you can have free agency at six years you can sell the bigger picture to a club that’s rebuilding,” Montagna said.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-trade-period-2019-david-king-says-topfour-clubs-shouldnt-have-access-to-free-agents/news-story/7d5ce75a21612505657495235806308e
What a load of crap. As mentioned by Owl the salary cap defines it all. If I wanted to apply for a position with a company and they could afford to pay me why should I be restricted ? Footballers are people. We seem to forget that sometimes. The AFL is a Fing Joke

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2019, 03:38:48 PM »
Free agency is to allow players the freedom to get to whatever club they want without the need for a trade agreement to be made. It never has been and never will be about equalisation.

Like someone above said all this fuss is being made when we’ve become successful. Not just this but the changing of the rules this season. Where was all this when the hawks were having their 3-peat and getting Gibson from north, Frawley and Bruce from Melbourne etc.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2019, 09:49:56 PM »
TK. Hawks got rolled too. Buddy pick 19 while frawley got pick 2 compo was it?

lets be honest media hate us and this has hocking's name written all over it

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2019, 05:22:13 PM »
Let em change it.  Watch all the nervous shuffling of feet by the sooks, we got ours through so stuff em, cuts both ways.  They will have to find another thing to sook about.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2019, 12:57:27 PM »
Footy journos are still sooking  :lol

Sam McClure: I think free agency hasn't worked the way the league would've liked it. Tom Lynch going to Richmond was a catastrophic disaster for free agency, but it was good for Tom.

https://twitter.com/traderadio/status/1181728210980966400

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2019, 01:10:41 PM »
Free agency was not introduce because the AFL wanted it. It was introduced because the players wanted more freedom and the AFL agreed as it help ward off any legal action by players in restraint of trade.

The very fact that free agency has worked for player Tom Lynch shows it is a roaring success