Author Topic: Our best 22 for 2020?  (Read 11825 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Our best 22 for 2020?
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2019, 04:42:13 PM »
Who's in, who's unlucky? Your club's best 22 for round one

Sarah Black
afl.com.au
7 December 2019

RICHMOND

Two premiership players – Nathan Broad and Liam Baker – along with Gold Coast-bound Brandon Ellis miss out on the side, allowing for the inclusions of Alex Rance, Jack Graham and Sydney Stack. It's a tough call. The Tigers love what the dour Broad brings to the side, while Baker's enthusiasm is second to none. There's certainly no guarantee Jack Higgins will be right to go in round one; he is still on a part-time program after two operations for a bleed on his brain. Grand Final heartbreak stories Jack Ross and Kamdyn McIntosh are viable options to come into the team in the case of injury.

BEST 22

B: David Astbury, Alex Rance, Dylan Grimes
HB: Nick Vlastuin, Bachar Houli, Jayden Short
C: Josh Caddy, Dustin Martin, Jack Graham
HF: Shane Edwards, Jack Riewoldt, Kane Lambert
F: Jason Castagna, Tom Lynch, Shai Bolton
Foll: Ivan Soldo, Dion Prestia, Trent Cotchin
I/C: Toby Nankervis, Sydney Stack, Daniel Rioli, Marlion Pickett

DEPTH

Defenders:
Liam Baker, Nathan Broad, Derek Eggmolesse-Smith, Ryan Garthwaite, Ben Miller, Patrick Naish, Bigoa Nyuon

Midfielders:
Riley Collier-Dawkins, Thomson Dow, Luke English, Will Martyn, Kamdyn McIntosh, Hugo Ralphsmith, Jack Ross, Fraser Turner

Forwards:
Jake Aarts, Noah Cumberland, Jack Higgins, Oleg Markov

Rucks: Noah Balta, Mabior Chol, Callum Coleman-Jones

https://www.afl.com.au/news/267006/who-s-in-who-s-unlucky-your-club-s-best-22-for-round-one

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2020, 06:37:07 PM »
The replacements: Who will step up to fill the void at your club?

By Mitch Cleary
afl.com.au
11 January 2020

THEY'RE the players to track closest over pre-season.

Can the youngsters and fresh faces eyeing holes left by delisted players and retirees step up and fill the void?

AFL.com.au looks at who's in line to replace a vacant role at your club in 2020 with a new name or non-regular from last year.

RICHMOND

In: PATRICK NAISH
Replacing: Brandon Ellis (23 games in 2019)
Other contenders: Kamdyn McIntosh, Oleg Markov, Marlion Pickett

Took the VFL by storm in the first half of 2019 which forced a senior debut and a subsequent match across rounds 12-13. Naish's outside speed and run and carry will be suited to the role vacated by Ellis, but the son of former Tiger Chris will need greater consistency after a quiet VFL finals series where he averaged 13 disposals. Pickett will need a spot after his sizzling AFL Grand Final, while McIntosh has proven he's up to the level when given the opportunity. Markov's athleticism is another one to watch.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/365186/the-replacements-who-will-step-up-to-fill-the-void-at-your-club-

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2020, 01:06:05 AM »
Be handy if Markov really came on as a forward...can't see it happening though...looked promising when when first moved there in the VFL late in the year...for about 5 minutes... :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2020, 09:11:48 AM »
Be handy if Markov really came on as a forward...can't see it happening though...looked promising when when first moved there in the VFL late in the year...for about 5 minutes... :shh

fROM THE 4 OR 5 SESSIONS i GOT TO BEFORE xMAS HE WAS CERTAINLY PLAYING FORWARD IN MATCH SIM

oops caps, sorry 

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2020, 04:16:10 PM »

Lol.

Surprised we kept him on. Clogger!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 01:27:51 PM by Andyy »

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2020, 11:12:17 AM »
Doing a best 22 is no easier in 2020 than it was in 2019.  Lot's of great players in my VFL side
Egg, Baker, Balta, Short, McIntosh, Chol, Higgins not to mention all the youngsters you would expect to improve and push their case

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2020, 09:25:23 PM »
Lol you need to read a bit better i did mention chol in the same passage as CCJ.
So ross has done sweet f/a fair enough you have not watched him then id say.he was in the mix for the g/f for Geez sakes.
So what makes me think some of those ive named are better options than some who played in the g/f. Id suggest you actually read the post and you will have your answer.
Balta 13 games and i anticipate  stuff yeah i expect him to improve and go past some average players forgive me for thinking that way but bottom six players are bottom six for a reason.

Let me do this one more time just for you as your comprehension seems to be lacking when your favorites are questioned.
You tell me if  these players are not an upgrade or a better way to go. After all,all clubs are looking for a way to keep on getting better.

Rance for broad. Tall for a tall. Is that not an upgrade
Stack for Scaredy pants Short lol there is no comparison and one of them has only played 15 odd games.
Pickett for Ellis No brainer
Graham for Baker fmd its another  no brainer.
Martin, Edwards, Lambert, Pickett etc etc for Rioli a bloke you your self have been critical of. Im sure even you can see the point of difference.
CC-J or Chol for one of the dinosaurs, (good description imo)  nankervis , Soldo,  they both offer more as a fwd but can give a decent chop out to one of the others in the ruck.
I agree neither of these two have done a hell of a lot but when push comes to shove, CC-J in particular has not played, apart from the odd game  at the top leve. In anyones  language  he projects as the best ruckman we have!!!!.  Like it or not he  is at a stage where we should be playing him.
It seems to me its all about right now with you but we all know to stay consistently in the ball park over a long period then its also about the long term.
We are limited in chasing top end talent early because of where we finish.

so the focus has to be on improving the bottom 6.You dont like to hear it but Short is very much a bottom 6 player and its JUST AN OPINION we have better options within our ranks.

Your argument about weather some of those named have done more than those who played, no argument. For me i have little doubt though that those i have  named above  will be better players and options and they are are not that far away.Yet you think thats stupid.Each to his own id say.I do know one thing all premiership sides have their fair share of lets call em average players its the simple reason why premiership sides change so much in a short space of time.

Lastly im sorry to to offend your sensibilities but not every one agrees with your sentiments about players,  not everyone thinks just because some of them were in the right place at the right time and won a flag they  deserve to play in front of those coming thru.

Id be interested to know who you think of the 22 premiership players in 2019 are in the bottom 6.
My bottom six in terms of who I would look to replace first or need to show more to keep their spot are
In order
Ellis (obviously)
Soldo (we can do better but players behind him will need to show more than what they currently have)
Broad (ok player but may find it hard to keep his spot with Rance back)
Pickett (I haven’t seen enough of him to really comment properly)
Rioli (he has done FA in the past 2 seasons)
Houli (getting towards the end and that will come quickly IMO)

I think Baker will be a star and I think Short, Bolton and George will play 150 plus games for the club. These guys are long term players IMO- you will have to be good to push these guys out.

So round 1 next year if all fit, I would say changes to our best 22 from the GF side are
Rance for Broad
Stack for Ellis
and
Graham for Pickett maybe??

Ellis - agree obviously.

Broad - will now stay in the team with Rance gone. With Rance gone it really does become important to play someone capable of playing KPD that someone for me is Balta who played 13 games last yr and granted few were as a defender but is his best role imo.

Soldo - Agree i actually think we can do better than both him and Nankervis.You dont think CC-J is not tracking along nicely and doesnt offer a point of differnce to in particular Soldo.

Pickett - Mate he aint going nowhere and he will play most games next yr. what you see is what you get. He  offers real flexability can play mid h/b and fwd and unlike some offers that touch of hardness. I have him in front of a fair few including Baker and Short.

Houli - We agree on many things about him things that apply to others as well. but imo he is a better option across h/b than both Short and Baker. We both know he aint going anywhere weather we like it or not.

Rioli - Again agree i think he is the most over hyped player we have and he just has not earnt the accolades.not in my starting 22 and we have more flexible options to play as the second small fwd.

On Baker i think he has gone okay but no way in the world should he be playing in defense.He should be competing for a midfield spot and i prefer others there.

On Short well we have so many better options that are not so defensively lacking or panic stricken.

On George he is easily the best small fwd we have in both defensive efforts and fmd cant believe i would say it kicking goals and that can improve out of sight if he ever gets his kicking right.

On Bolton imo it is now time we played him mostly in the midfield

Your having a crack at me but the reality is we arent really that far apart.

Rnd 1

CC-J for  Soldo provided he has a big preseason he didnt look far away at the end of last yr in fact he looked damn good the little i saw of him.

Balta comes into the Rance role. I think this is something that has to be done for such obvious reasons i shouldnt need to mention them. He played 13 games last yr and theres no reason he cant play more than that this yr settled into the one role at h/b

Broad will stay put the preferred structure if you do the home work is for the 4 talls in defense. When all of Rance, Astbury, Grimes and Broad were fit or not suspended these four were always played no matter what. Imo they are on the hunt for a kpd.
Also when Garthwaite played last yr we went with the four talls except when injuries hit

Stack will play no ifs or buts just too big a talent to not play. Personally id play him in Shorts spot or instead of Short.

Ross -  you say he did nothing i disagree. Kid can really play and will be so much better for another preseason. hes also a lovely size and we arent exactly overflowing with big bodied mids. Take the game he was injured in the first quarter and the Eagles game out where he was given less than two quarters, for an 18 yr old he more than held his own. Do you really think it silly to expect him to be pushing for a spot come rnd 1.

Graham - Once again id play him in front of Short, Baker Rioli Caddy.

Pickett - as already stated he is just a better option than a lot of them and i would be shocked if he was not in the rnd 1 team.

TEAM GOES LIKE THIS

B/ Grimes - Astbury - Vlastuin
HB/ Houli - Balta - Broad.  We all know Houli will play here.

C/ Lambert - Ross - Pickett. Big ask for a second yr player but if he can play here it really does free up DM.
R/ Nankervis - Cotchin - Prestia

H/F Edwards - Riewoldt - Stack.  would like Stack at h/b. That wont happen while Houli is around. A better option than Rioli here.
FF/ Martin - Lynch - Castagna

INT/ Graham - Caddy - Bolton - CC-J

Have probably missed someone. If Ross CCJ and Balta improve i think it a far better balanced side than the premiership team.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2020, 04:57:07 AM »
Our current Best 25 according to the AFL website:

RICHMOND
B: David Astbury (29/129), Dylan Grimes (28/151), Nathan Broad (26/54)
HB: Nick Vlastuin (25/141), Bachar Houli (31/207), Jayden Short (24/71)
C: Josh Caddy (27/157), Dustin Martin (28/224), Jack Graham (22/39)
HF: Shane Edwards (31/255), Jack Riewoldt (31/262), Kane Lambert (28/95)
F: Jason Castagna (23/76), Tom Lynch (27/156), Shai Bolton (21/28)
Foll: Ivan Soldo (23/22), Dion Prestia (27/155), Trent Cotchin (29/234)
I/C: Toby Nankervis (25/71), Sydney Stack (19/17), Daniel Rioli (22/77), Marlion Pickett (28/1)

Next three: Jack Higgins (20/33), Liam Baker (22/22), Kamdyn McIntosh (25/90)

https://www.afl.com.au/news/379504/take-a-look-through-each-club-s-2020-premiership-window

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2020, 09:52:55 AM »
Baker is best 22
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2020, 01:09:48 PM »
They seem to have replaced Baker with Graham who by all reports won't even be fit for the start of the season.... :shh
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 01:37:55 PM by Diocletian »
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2020, 02:32:25 PM »
Anybody else have a question mark on Caddy?
I’m not sure where his best position is these days, looks like he’s got to big and slow imo.
Certainly has the footy brain but looks like god body is struggling to keep up!

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2020, 10:20:13 PM »
Baker is best 22
Easily imo.
Natural footballer that will only get better with more experience.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2020, 10:32:53 PM »
They seem to have replaced Baker with Graham who by all reports won't even be fit for the start of the season.... :shh

Graham is a good chance to play up in Wagga Wagga this weekend
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2020, 11:11:18 PM »
Baker would be ahead of Stack in that 22 at this stage based on yesterday's game.

Anybody else have a question mark on Caddy?
I’m not sure where his best position is these days, looks like he’s got to big and slow imo.
Certainly has the footy brain but looks like god body is struggling to keep up!
Caddy's size and physicality has been important to us. A bit of an enforcer type (nothing like the old days though). I think that's why Dimma likes him in the side.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2020, 07:00:12 AM »
Wallace yesterday on SEN said even with a full complement to choose from - Bolton, Balta & Chol are now in our best 22.