Author Topic: KP Backman  (Read 999 times)

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
KP Backman
« on: April 16, 2006, 09:30:12 PM »
Miller has said he was going to chase a big name sometime. Due to injuries the back half of our side seems to be the key area lacking for the foreseeable future.

I personally think Gas and Kellaway may be lucky to see another year beyond this, with that in mind what we really need post haste is a key backman to work with our kids  in the next 5 or so years.

Thursfield in his short time looks a prospect and obvioisly Schulz may become a KP backman (time will tell).

Who is out there around the 23 - 27 year old mark that may be a prospect in the next draft or 2, I am talking class here, not small fry  ???

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: KP Backman
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 10:57:21 PM »
Thursty going down with a knee is a major blow. IMO at least one of Gas or Chubba would have retired at the end of this year if Thursty and Sarge stood up in defence. Now they'll probably stick around for another year as even if Will comes back as good as before and doesn't re-do his knee ever again (touchwood) he won't be fully back to his best till 2008.

As for Miller poaching a 23-27 years old classy key defender, IMO that's too old and no club would allow a classy one to go. Not anyway unless we offered plenty of early picks which would be stupid to pay on just a defender. Midfielders and forwards win you games not key defenders. We're 4-5 years away from recruiting/drafting a decent list and by then this KPP will be nearing the end of his career.

If we wanted to go after someone then we would need to target a Vic playing interstate and for a side not really going anywhere. Perhaps a David Mundy (20 y.o., 192cm, 87kg) from Freo but even then Freo rate him highly so he wouldn't come cheap unless we finished last and Mundy was so desperate to leave that we could hold Freo to ransom.

IMO we need to draft our own KPP and bide our time as painful as losing is. If we're crap (but mostly competitive) for the next 3 years while they develop then that's nothing new but at least we'll get plenty of early picks to rebuild our list properly with quality.  
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 12:21:01 AM »
I'm a fan of Cogs and still think he is capable of being up there with the best, But maybe something of a package like Cogs, krak and tiv for a Mundy, I would take it. Maybe we need to bite the bullet at the end of this year.

Last year was a cleanout and this year will be too, but maybe we need to look at putting something of value on the market for something we need.

I am after no quick fixes but unless we start doing this type of thing are we not just treading water  :thumbsup

I am not talking re-cycling just chasing 1 or 2 bigger name or better players to build the youth around. I know easier said than done, just wondering about ppls thoughts.

I am just getting soo sick of waiting - But I will  :cheers

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 10:05:14 AM »
Getting one of Thorp or Hansen at years end would certainly help  :thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 07:12:45 PM »
I'm a fan of Cogs and still think he is capable of being up there with the best, But maybe something of a package like Cogs, krak and tiv for a Mundy, I would take it. Maybe we need to bite the bullet at the end of this year.

Last year was a cleanout and this year will be too, but maybe we need to look at putting something of value on the market for something we need.

I am after no quick fixes but unless we start doing this type of thing are we not just treading water  :thumbsup

I am not talking re-cycling just chasing 1 or 2 bigger name or better players to build the youth around. I know easier said than done, just wondering about ppls thoughts.

I am just getting soo sick of waiting - But I will  :cheers

I wouldn't be surprised either CUB if someone we don't necessarily want to let go gets put up on the trade table at the end of this year. Except for our young guys no one is really safe as no one is an A-grader (Browny was). The Problem is the ones that should be turned over have no trade value - Gas, Kellaway, Staff, Chaffey, Tivs and even Richo if we're being harsh. They won't be around when we next play finals. That'd be six gone from our list with nothing in return. We're still paying dearly for past admin/coaching mistakes  :-\.

If we do put someone of value on the trade table then I would aim for 2 first rounders (one top 10) rather than a Mundy. I would only chase a player if we can get him cheaply by letting someone go of a type we have an excess of. I don't like giving any player a 5-year deal  :o but ignoring that part of it Simmo for just Fiora in a 3 way trade was a good get. We had an excess of Fiora types (I don't mean duds  ;D ) so letting him go was no loss.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 02:02:54 PM »
whilst not a kpp...i like Matthew Rosa from west coast- he could be a good player that kid.