Author Topic: Premiership Cup Tour  (Read 5649 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Premiership Cup Tour
« on: November 06, 2019, 03:55:49 AM »

Darwin
Wednesday, November 6
4pm – 7pm
The Landmark @ Gateway, Gateway Shopping Centre, 1 Roystonea Avenue, Palmerston NT
Join us in Darwin as we celebrate the 2019 premiership. Watch a replay of the 2019 Grand Final and get your photo with the Cup!

Adelaide
Tuesday, November 12
4pm – 7pm

Perth
Wednesday, November 13
4pm – 7pm
Leederville Oval, 244 Vincent St, Leederville WA

Hobart
Saturday, November 16
1pm – 4pm
Long Beach Reserve, Sandy Bay

Brisbane
Wednesday, November 20
4pm – 7pm
The Shafston Hotel, 3 Lytton Rd, East Brisbane QLD

Sydney
Thursday November 21
4pm – 7pm

Mildura
Date & Time: TBC

Albury-Wodonga
Date & Time: TBC

Swinburne Centre
Saturday, November 23
Time: TBC

Due to high numbers expected, we ask that fans be patient whilst waiting for the Cup. We recommend arriving to the event early, in order to avoid long lines.

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/richmond-on-the-road

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Premiership Cup Tour
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 03:25:44 PM »
I understand doing it in 2017 but doing it again now is unnecessary.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 03:58:14 PM »
I understand doing it in 2017 but doing it again now is unnecessary.

disagree.

some didnt go last time, and some want to get another pic with kids that are older. Who cares the reason is it a bad thing?

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 06:19:56 AM »
Celebrate it whilst it lasts, I say.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 07:01:10 AM »
Celebrate it whilst it lasts, I say.

^^ this

I reckon it's great that our club gives the fans an opportunity to get up and close to the Cup. Other clubs wouldn't. 

They'd just lock it away with a "do not touch sign"

If people don't want to go, they don't have to. Those that do soak it up and enjoy
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2019, 10:28:27 AM »
I’ll be there
Waited too long for these days

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2019, 02:10:39 PM »
Watch Daniel Rioli's emotional return with the cup in the video: https://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2019-11-08/premiership-cup-on-tour-of-tiwi-islands

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inside Daniel Rioli's return to Pirlangimpi, population 300 people and nine AFL flags

Andrew McCormack
7NEWS
Thursday, 7 November 2019 7:50 pm

The 2019 premiership cup glistens on the water.

Its man-made shimmer stands out against the natural beauty of Melville Island.

In its reflection a beaming Daniel Rioli holds the cup aloft as the leaves of the mangrove trees fly by in a green blur.

Dad, Bradley, has the outboard engine at full throttle, there are no speed limits on the Tiwi waterways.

The yellow and black ribbons, still attached from grand final day, horizontal in the air as we head out to a local fishing spot.

Once there, the cup is replaced with a fishing rod and the hunt for barramundi begins.

Richmond’s 12th premiership trophy sits peacefully on the bow of the dingy as the two-time premiership Tiger casts a line.

The remote town of Pirlangimpi, 30 minutes by plane north of Darwin, is no stranger to footy’s most sought-after prize – Michael Long (‘93, ‘00), Cyril Rioli (‘08, ‘13, ‘14, ‘15), Willie Rioli (‘18) and Daniel Rioli (‘17, ‘19) all products of what can lay claim to footy’s most successful breeding ground.

Not bad for a population of around 300.

Earlier, Tigers chief executive Brendon Gale touches down at the nearby airfield and hands the cup over to the 22-year-old Richmond goalkicker.

It doesn’t take long for word to spread and excited locals emerge with phones in hand to grab a much-cherished selfie as Rioli triumphantly walks into town. New Facebook and Instagram profile pictures a priority even in the top end!

A rockstar reception follows at a local primary school before a visit to the resting place of Rioli royalty.

Maurice Rioli, Richmond champion and Norm Smith medallist, is Daniel’s grand uncle but considered to be his granddad.

He blazed the trail for Pirlangimpi’s place in the VFL/AFL landscape.

Maurice’s widow Mali calls out as we approach the cemetery, letting the spirits know we are coming.

We make our way through the 8-10-foot-high wooden pylons that surround the gravesite.

Each one meticulously carved and painted to represent those who lay beneath them.

Gale places the cup on the gravestone of Maurice senior and immediately recognises the footy card image on the tombstone.

https://twitter.com/Richmond_FC/status/1192255580309573633

The same action shot hangs over 2000km’s away in Richmond headquarters at Punt Road Oval.

Laying beside Maurice is older brother Sibby, an East Fremantle legend and the first of the Rioli’s to venture south and export their unique skill and talent to the footy world.

On the other side is the Rioli patriarch, Cyril Senior, the head of footy’s most successful family.

After a quiet moment of reflection, the time has come to head back to town.

Once again Mali calls out, this time to say thank the spirits for letting us experience one of the most sacred places on the island.

As we fly back to the mainland a rainbow shines above the snaking waterways and lush green landscape. Footy’s pot of gold on board, safely stowed away.

Odds are there’ll be a new cup on its way in the not so distant future as the Pirlangimpi legacy adds another chapter to its already remarkable premiership story.

https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/inside-daniel-riolis-triumphant-return-to-pirlangimpi-population-300-c-545091

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2019, 02:34:11 PM »
It's an excellent strategy by the club, builds greater inclusiveness and so much good will, will increase Merchandise and membership sales as well as potentially increasing non-member supporter base public. Good PR action.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2019, 03:22:44 PM »
I see these Cup tours as important to boost our national profile. While the 37 years in the wilderness ultimately didn't hurt us regarding our supporter base in Victoria which has remained large, we missed out on growing a huge profile nationwide once the game went national from the 80s. We are catching up now especially with Essendon and Carlton being crap for so long but we can be even bigger.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2019, 03:48:51 PM »
I told Benny when I recently spoke to him, we should have a new aim or motto "125(k) by 25!" members. ;D
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2019, 05:57:01 PM »
I told Benny when I recently spoke to him, we should have a new aim or motto "125(k) by 25!" members. ;D

very achievable IMO

3 more in my family will be new members come round 1

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2019, 03:54:40 PM »
Surprise visit for Richmond legend Michael Bowden

Hit107 FM
12 November 2019

Former Mildura teacher, and AFL great Michael Bowden has been presented the 2019 AFL Premiership Trophy, in front of overjoyed family members in Darwin.

The 71 year old is battling motor neuron disease, and is now unable to speak, but looked elated with the surprise visit from members of the Richmond Football Club.

Michael was an instrumental part of Richmond's 1979 Premiership victory over Carlton, 12.13. 85 to 8.12. 60.

He played under legendary coach Tom Hafey as an on-baller - in a team filled to the brim with stars, including future Hall of Fame entrants Kevin Bartlett AM, Bill Barrett, Francis Bourke, Dick Clay, Roger Dean, Michael Green, Royce Hart, Kevin Sheedy AM, and Barry Richardson.

Three of Michael's sons, Sean, Joel and Patrick Bowden all played for the Richmond Tigers in the 90's and 2000's.

Patrick Bowden told FoxSports "we're very very grateful to Richmond for bringing the cup all the way to the territory, first of all to Tiwi Islands with Daniel [Rioli], and now very special for our family, to come here to our family home, to join us.

"Dad can't speak, so he's asked me to speak on his behalf, he's thrilled that the Cup is coming here to see us, in Rapid Creek in Darwin," Patrick said.

The FoxSports video of the surprise visit can be found here: https://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2019-11-09/premiership-cup-visits-former-tiger

https://www.hit.com.au/story/surprise-visit-for-richmond-legend-michael-bowden-144504

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2019, 09:20:23 AM »
someone with a big footy account should post pics on big footy and watch all the opposition supporter madness unravel AGAIN befour eyes lol.

befour instead of before because we will win 4 in a row.

2019 2020 2021 and 2022.

the that's when we will see the real madness from oppo supporters.