Author Topic: Can ex-Pie Sam Murray be Tigers’ next redemption story? (Herald-Sun)  (Read 1054 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Can Murray be Tigers’ next redemption story?

Sam Landsberger
Herald Sun
26 November 2019

Sam Murray’s hopes of earning another AFL lifeline appear to be down to three with Richmond, Melbourne and Greater Western Sydney all open to selecting the Collingwood discard.

In what would be a dream scenario for the Henty family, the Giants could pair Murray with his younger brother, Nick, who is in their talent academy.

Adelaide is also considering Nick Murray, 19, who impressed as a key defender this year.

While the Tigers, Demons and Giants have all met Sam Murray, most clubs immediately put a line through his name

The lack of widespread interest means the dashing half-back’s best chance appears to be at Friday’s rookie draft.

If Murray, 22, misses out then he intends to sign with an AFL-aligned VFL club in a bid to have another crack next year.

Murray was on course to play for Collingwood in the 2018 Grand Final before he was banned for testing positive to cocaine on game day.

Former Sydney star Daryn Creswell has coached both Murrays in the Ovens and Murray league and, with Sam’s 18-month suspension due to expire before next season, Creswell urged a club to give him another chance.

“He ran a 2km the other day in 6min 35 sec. I’ve never seen Sam that fit before,” Creswell said yesterday.

“Before his case was heard he trained with us, and then he’s obviously not allowed to train now he’s had that suspension, but he’s hired his own personal trainer (Danny Kennedy).

“The kid’s got enormous talent, enormous talent.”

Murray will be free to train with a club from December 17 and eligible to play from February 17 next year.

“He’s really positive and he’s got a good mindset, even to the point where he says if I don’t get drafted I’ll go play VFL and I’ll prove myself and that I’ve changed and that I want an opportunity again,” Creswell said.

“That’s one thing we’ve spoken about and he’ll go to an AFL-aligned (VFL club), so he can be under their eyes and guidance. It’s a good attitude to have.

“To be honest he suffered a bit of depression when that (drug saga) happened to him, which is understandable, but I’ve noticed a real change and a real weight off his shoulders since he got the suspension.

“You don’t really know what you had until it’s gone and I think that’s really hit home for him.”

Murray was drafted by Sydney although all of his 13 AFL appearances came for the Magpies in 2018.

While Sam plays in the mould of North Melbourne coach Rhyce Shaw — a creative halfback with breakaway speed — Creswell said Nick was “taller, tough and took some absolute hangers for GWS in the NEAFL this year”.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/premier-richmond-among-three-clubs-considering-drafting-excollingwood-defender-sam-murray/news-story/5e0717541ae1f81b702133baec1addd5

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Can ex-Pie Sam Murray be Tigers’ next redemption story? (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2019, 07:02:52 PM »
Anybody heard if he is a dickhwad? I worry he might fall the no idiots policy, for Collingwood to dump him and they usually have some patience.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Can ex-Pie Sam Murray be Tigers’ next redemption story? (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 06:59:54 PM »
If we pick him up then it'll be at 56 or as a rookie. We could even do what we did with Stack and have Murray do preseason training and if his attitude is good then select him as a supplementary player in March.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd