Author Topic: Thomson Dow [merged]  (Read 41202 times)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Re: Thomson Dow [merged]
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2019, 09:00:17 PM »
Paddy & Tom....which one is Reece and which one is Luke? :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2019, 09:01:05 PM »
Dow lands at Tigerland

richmondfc.com.au
Nov 27, 2019 8:39PM

Richmond has used it's first selection (No. 21 overall) in the 2019 NAB AFL Draft to recruit Bendigo Pioneers midfielder Thomson Dow.

Here is a summary of what Richmond fans can expect to see from Dow on-field...

Club: Bendigo Pioneers
State: Victoria
Height: 182cm
Weight: 72kg

This year Dow split his football between Geelong Grammar and the Bendigo Pioneers at NAB League level. He also represented Vic Country in every game at the National Championships.

He plays his best football through the midfield where he can showcase his brilliant agility and ball handling to win clearances and either step out of traffic or release using clean and creative hands. When resting forward Dow is a constant threat. His speed off the mark and marking ability mean he is a tough match up for defenders.

We think Dow has huge growth in his game. He has the athleticism and football smarts to develop into a very good midfielder for the Richmond Football Club.

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2019-11-27/2019-draft-first-round

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2019, 09:04:53 PM »
The big move to Grammar that helped midfielder

Josh Barnes
Geelong Advertiser
November 19, 2019 4:00pm

AS HE faced the daunting task of packing up his life in Swan Hill two years ago, Thomson Dow was sure he wasn’t moving to Geelong.

The midfielder was welcome to board at Geelong Grammar, but as a confessed shy teenager, at first he wasn’t interested.

After considering it, a change of mind meant Dow relented and moved to the school, where his older brother Paddy also went, a move that would set his path towards the AFL.

“It was a pretty big step and to start with I was adamant I didn’t want to go down to Geelong,” he said.

“Then all of a sudden I changed my mind and it’s been unreal down at Grammar, I’m so glad I went.

“Definitely moving to Geelong has helped my footy excel, not only footy but my education and friendship group as well.”

The younger Dow brother has been conscious of following in the footsteps of the Carlton midfielder since his junior football and initially spurred any comparison between the two.

Although Dow has used Paddy – who was drafted to the Blues with the third overall pick in 2017 – as a sounding board through his schooling and football with Grammar and Bendigo Pioneers, he has worked to make his own name.

PLAYER PROFILE

Player: Thomson Dow

Height: 182cm

Weight: 72kg

Position: Midfield

Clubs: Swan Hill, Geelong Grammar, Bendigo Pioneers

“I tried to forge my own path where I can because as always there are comparisons, so it’s nice to get out of the spotlight of (Paddy),” he said.

“Early days back in the juniors I used to hate it and never liked the comparison, but now I’m well aware it’s going to happen.

“It’s always nice to have him there to talk to but the comparisons have become a normal thing so I’m not really bothered with them anymore.”

An explosive midfielder capable of breaking out of congestion, Dow played in four games for Vic Country during the national championships during the year.

In study he has gravitated towards business and hopes to take up a commerce degree at university around his football.

Dow’s teammates during that carnival and at Grammar, Brodie Kemp and Caleb Serong were inseparable during their school years and all appear likely to be linked once again when they have their names called on November 27.

“We’ve become really good friends between all three of us,” Dow said.

“We do everything together at school and it’s a bit of a joke amongst our mates that we do everything together all the time.”

https://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/sport/localfooty/thomson-dow-credits-move-to-geelong-grammar-for-his-growth-ahead-of-afl-draft/news-story/c460a3443faeaa36dad4777c51c7b8cb

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2019, 09:08:15 PM »
Is Dow destined to join his brother in navy blue?

Chris Cavanagh
Herald Sun
November 25, 2019 5:30pm

“I’d be happy if I were to go to Carlton but I would be just as happy if I were to go to any other club,” Thomson said.

Paddy and Thomson are slightly different players.

Both are agile midfielders, but Thomson is seen to be a little more of an outside player who is able to play a taller and can drift forward and provide a target.

“I reckon he’s a lot more damaging on the inside,” Thomson said of his brother.

“He does a lot more grunt work and he’s really strong with his hands in the contest and he’s powerful in that regard. I can probably be more damaging on the outside and use my jumping ability as well to take some overhead marks.”

Thomson and Paddy have two other siblings and grew up on a stone fruit farm in Swan Hill.

Both went on to attend boarding school at Geelong Grammar and work their way through the talent pathways, including playing for Vic Country in the under-18 national championships.

The pair speak regularly and Thomson likes what he hears from Paddy about life in the AFL.

“He always says it’s a good lifestyle and you stay healthy and fit,” Thomson said.

“You get to play footy which he loves and I love so to follow in his path of playing AFL would be a dream and what he says is exactly what I’m after.”

DOB: 16/10/2001

H: 182cm W: 72kg

Position: Midfielder

Plays like: Marcus Bontempelli

U18 National Championships averages: 12.3 disposals, 1.0 inside-50, 4.8 contested, 1.5 marks, 3.3 ground ball, 2.5 clearances, 1 goal total, 1.5 score involve, 1.8 tackles, 48 SuperCoach ranking points

Originally a North Melbourne supporter now with a soft spot for Carlton, Thomson said he looked at Western Bulldogs star Marcus Bontempelli as a player to try and model his game on.

A nervous wait comes now ahead of the draft, but Thomson said he was as relaxed as he could be.

“You can’t do anything about it really now so we’ll just wait and see,” he said.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/draft-prospect-thomson-dow-says-hed-be-thrilled-to-join-his-brother-paddy-at-carlton/news-story/c9de5657067028069c23370351b4e03e
Not great numbers but good luck to him.
He will have some great people around him so there is no excuses.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2019, 09:10:23 PM »
"Plays like Bontempelli"...,,only 11 inches shorter... :shh

- Gustav Mahler

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2019, 09:13:02 PM »
And about 25 possessions  :lol

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2019, 09:14:50 PM »
# 34 North Melbourne

Thomson Dow / Bendigo / 182cm / 72kg

Interesting prospect and struggled where to place him as think he could go a bit higher than I have him. Midfielder who really good ability to play inside the contest and win in his own ball as well as get on the outside. Inside the contest he is impressive. Wins it, moves through the stoppage well, is composed and distributes it to advantage. Also seen him play through HF and he again is able to read and use his agility to get into good spots. Ceiling could be pretty high.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/snoop-dog-2019-mock-national-and-rookie-draft.1232503/

27 Geelong – Thomson Dow
Bendigo Pioneers/Vic Country | Midfielder/Forward
16/10/2001 | 184cm | 76kg

... Dow is the brother of Carlton’s Paddy. While he is not as readymade as his brother, he has similar athleticism and is good inside 50 on the lead. A forward to start his career, but will eventually develop into a full-time midfielder.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/slice-of-pie-2019-draft-thread.1216143/

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2019, 09:18:06 PM »
I mean, Bont isn’t 6’ 11”.

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2019, 09:19:21 PM »
Based on his hilights its an underwhelming selection. Sharp, Bianco, Robertson etc all look like better players.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2019, 09:22:05 PM »
I do like that he's quick though (but then so was Menadud)...hmm...someone on BF suggested Philp was the kid we wanted and Dow was the next best mid with leg speed...though IIRC most seem to have had Philp lasting to around our next three picks and after Dow in the draft...Fox Footy labeled him(Philp) a bolter when his name was read out.. :shh

Meh who cares, we're still premiers.... :shh :shh

- Gustav Mahler

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2019, 09:25:37 PM »
I mean, Bont isn’t 6’ 11”.

*centimetres...  :shh :shh

- Gustav Mahler

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2019, 09:28:30 PM »
At least he won't be under the pressure to tear it up from the get-go like his brother was... :shh

- Gustav Mahler

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2019, 09:34:25 PM »
I do like that he's quick though (but then so was Menadud)...hmm...someone on BF suggested Philp was the kid we wanted and Dow was the next best mid with leg speed...though IIRC most seem to have had Philp lasting to around our next three picks and after Dow in the draft...Fox Footy labeled him(Philp) a bolter when his name was read out.. :shh

Meh who cares, we're still premiers.... :shh :shh

We didn’t want Philp. We got our guy

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2019, 10:30:48 PM »
Meet our newest recruit 👋 📱 #AFLDraft #gotiges

Watch here: https://twitter.com/Richmond_FC/status/1199639165471621120