Author Topic: Thomson Dow [merged]  (Read 63862 times)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Thomson Dow [merged]
« Reply #285 on: February 22, 2024, 01:00:02 AM »
Jacob Hopper says Thomson Dow will lift Richmond midfield

A fifth-year Tiger who only just clung to his spot on Richmond’s list has been backed by a teammate to “make us better” in 2024.

Ed Bourke
News.com.au
February 22, 2024

Richmond midfielder Jacob Hopper says the addition of teammate Thomson Dow this season will improve the Tigers’ on-ball brigade as he expects a host of senior players to return for next week’s practice match against Collingwood.

Dow, 22, secured a one-year lifeline at Punt Road thanks to three impressive performances at the end of his fourth season, and was prolific again as a first-choice centre bounce option when the Tigers beat Melbourne in a scratch match at Casey Fields on Sunday.

Hopper said the younger brother of St Kilda midfielder Paddy was ready for a breakout season after a terrific summer.

“He’s one of those younger guys who’s had a really good pre-season and we’re excited about what he can bring to the table for us,” Hopper said on Wednesday.

“He’s going really well, so he’s definitely one of those guys that we think can help make us a better footy team.”

Dow will have a fight on his hands to secure a midfield spot in Opening Round though as Tim Taranto, Dustin Martin and Liam Baker all look set for minutes against Collingwood in the inaugural pre-season Charity Shield game next Tuesday.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/afl-2024-jacob-hopper-says-thomson-dow-will-lift-richmond-midfield/news-story/14637953f418fd30018e600cb938b6d0

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #286 on: March 09, 2024, 09:37:31 AM »
Earning his stripes: Fringe Tiger ready to stake claim in best side

Thomson Dow says he is confident he'll be able to step up a level in 2024 after a promising pre-season

By Sarah Black
afl.com.au
9 March 2024

THOMSON Dow knows this is his chance to stake a spot in Richmond's best 23.

The 22-year-old finished last year on a high, playing the last three games of the season in the seniors, culminating in a 27-disposal game against Port Adelaide.

The retirement of Trent Cotchin has opened a midfield role, and a strong pre-season means he's ready to come into his own.

"I definitely took some confidence from the end of last season. I think it was maybe three games towards the end of the season, which was good to get that run in," Dow told AFL.com.au.

"I feel like it did set me up for the pre-season that's just been, in confidence more than anything, and the belief I can challenge at the highest level. Hopefully the ball keeps rolling.

"I think it's something everyone battles with at different stages, even the best in the game. Having star players around me, of the likes of Tim Taranto and Dustin [Martin] – having those guys around to support and instil confidence as well is important, because we all go through it."

Promising Tigers midfielder Thomson Dow caps off an encouraging performance with a well-deserved major in the final term

Once match simulation kicked off in late January, the word from Punt Road suggested there were two clear standouts over summer – small forward Rhyan Mansell (who will miss the first few games with an ankle injury) and Dow.

"Over the pre-season, I've definitely worked closely with [ex-North Melbourne star Jack] Ziebell and Chris Newman. Ziebell's come in as the stoppage coach, which is one of my strengths, so I've obviously worked pretty closely with him in trying to grow my game even more and using it as a real weapon," Dow said.

"We've got players like Tim, as I mentioned earlier, where contest is also is a big part of his game, so leaning on players like him is really beneficial to me as well."

Dow was a talented junior and was selected with pick No.21 in 2019, with the likes of Sam De Koning, Deven Robertson and Dylan Williams drafted in the immediate picks around him.

It didn't translate into a dream beginning to his career, having played 17 games over four years, but he's come a long way in the past 12 months.

"I recognise that it's important to grab your career with two hands. So much changes in a year, and even if I look back to me last year, I wasn't even in contention for round one, due to different reasons," he said.

"It's important to take control of that and go in with so much confidence, because everyone's on the list because they're capable of change. Making sure I believe that too."

The life of an AFL player on the fringe of the best side can be tenuous, with Dow offered a one-year contract in September last year.

He's currently studying a business degree with a major in sports management, ticking away on the backburner just in case.

"You can look at it [a one-year deal] in many different ways. Any year, I suppose, can be a carrot," Dow said.

"Everyone's always striving to get that next contract, but you can't really look at it like that because that's looking pretty far forward.

"I don't try and think about that too much, I think week-to-week is the best way to go about it for me."

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1082710/earning-his-stripes-fringe-richmond-tigers-midfielder-thomson-dow-ready-to-stake-his-claim-in-best-side

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #287 on: March 09, 2024, 07:05:58 PM »
absolute dud, much like his brother.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #288 on: March 09, 2024, 07:12:53 PM »
...at least he didn't cost us a bunch of high draft picks and a huge chunk of our salary cap unlike somemore illustrious members of our midfield who stunk it up just as badly if not worse.... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #289 on: March 09, 2024, 09:20:19 PM »
...also bit hard to use those "quick hands" when there's no-one running in support to give it too.... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #290 on: March 09, 2024, 09:24:08 PM »
For him to use those quick hands, he’s gotta first get possession of the football

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #291 on: March 09, 2024, 09:42:26 PM »
You know it only counts as a possession if you dispose of the ball? :shh

- Thomas Sowell

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #292 on: March 09, 2024, 10:19:40 PM »
Yeah I do. I also don’t remember him having the ball another 10+ times only to not dispose of it because he didn’t have anyone to give it to. Otherwise, he might have set the record for most times a player has been caught holding the ball.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #293 on: March 09, 2024, 10:34:23 PM »

WHAT A WASTE OF A FIRST ROUND PICK. Why we have hung on for so long when this guy has shown a total lack of enough attributes for the modern game is beyond me.
Have a look at a kid like McAuliffe who imo is way in front of him already when it comes to the neccesary skill set to succeed in similar roles.

Why do we hang onto these types for so long who are clearly deficient in the required attributes.
What irkes is he has never projected as any thing special or that he will even make it yet we do so little in bringing in others just in case the obvious may happen and he fails to make it. Why do we always place all of our hopes into so few dodgy  baskets when its so easy to get insurance.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #294 on: March 09, 2024, 10:46:56 PM »
No he usually got smashed straight away or spilled it after getting first hands on it  partly because he was covering for blokes who weren't covering their opponents -Prestia in particular  - bigger & harder bodied,  vastly more experienced midfield teammates who weren't helping  out or putting any kind of real effort .......and yes he was shyte regardless of all that,  never said he wasn't  think that was obvious by this part of this post...

...at least he didn't cost us a bunch of high draft picks and a huge chunk of our salary cap unlike some more illustrious members of our midfield who stunk it up just as badly if not worse.... :shh

...you see the "as badly if not worse" part implies that I still think he stunk it up as he is the base example.... :shh

- Thomas Sowell

Online Gigantor

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #295 on: March 09, 2024, 11:25:43 PM »
I was very disappointed in him today . I know he wasn’t Robinson Crusoe ,but some of his efforts of not chasing his opponent out of the centre was not up to AFL standard

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #296 on: March 10, 2024, 01:30:23 AM »
That’s the part that we are disputing. I just don’t see how you can say the other mids were ‘just as bad if not worse’. Again stats aren’t everything Dow had over 70% game time playing in the midfield and contributed a total of 3 possessions which wernt direct clangers.

Anyway it’s semantics. Fact is our midfield weren’t up to it and were comprehensively beaten.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #297 on: March 10, 2024, 07:51:18 AM »
He had a shocker like the majority

His defensive efforts or lack there of are a massive concern.

Happens far too often and has been happening since he started.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2024, 10:18:49 AM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #298 on: March 10, 2024, 10:14:54 AM »

WHAT A WASTE OF A FIRST ROUND PICK. Why we have hung on for so long when this guy has shown a total lack of enough attributes for the modern game is beyond me.
Have a look at a kid like McAuliffe who imo is way in front of him already when it comes to the neccesary skill set to succeed in similar roles.

Why do we hang onto these types for so long who are clearly deficient in the required attributes.
What irkes is he has never projected as any thing special or that he will even make it yet we do so little in bringing in others just in case the obvious may happen and he fails to make it. Why do we always place all of our hopes into so few dodgy  baskets when its so easy to get insurance.

absolutely vindicated. Absolute waste.

he should be ashamed of himself putting in that effort. I personally expected such because quite frankly i've seen better green shoots come out of my arse than what he has produced.

should have been delisted last year and sent to Carlton for a pack of smokes.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #299 on: March 10, 2024, 10:28:23 AM »
I held some hope that he was going to step up this year but he really struggled yesterday and doesn’t look up to it.

Might aswell get games into McCauliffe.