Author Topic: Thomson Dow [merged]  (Read 44468 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Thomson Dow [merged]
« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2019, 05:23:00 AM »
Richmond draftee can't believe his luck

By Sam Mills
SEN
30 November 2019

Richmond draftee Thomson Dow says he is honoured to join the Tigers and can’t believe his luck that he’s landed at the reigning premiers.

Vic Country representative Dow was selected at Pick 21 by Richmond on Wednesday night. Speaking to Brett Phillips on SEN's Time On, the midfielder said he had no idea which club he’d end up at prior to the draft.

“I spoke to Richmond a few times throughout the year, but I still had no indication,” Dow said.

“They’ve had so much success and credit to them because they’ve put the hard work in and to be part of that journey, it’s an honour, so I’m looking forward to getting to work.

“I was at the Grand Final so being able to watch and see how they play was unbelievable and I never would’ve pictured myself to be on their list if I was thinking about it back then.”

The Bendigo Pioneers product has already spoken to the captain and coach and said he can’t wait to get down to Punt Rd to meet his new teammates and coaches.

“Last night I spoke to (Trent) Cotchin and a few other boys and Damien Hardwick spoke to me this morning which was nice,” he said.

“I’ll head down on Sunday and develop a relationship with the new draftees and have a chat with the staff, then on Monday training will commence and I’ll be straight into it which will be very interesting.”

Brother of Carlton midfielder Paddy Dow, Thomson admits it would’ve been romantic to join the Blues but he’s glad he can create his own path.

“It would’ve been nice but I’m happier to be forging my own career at the Tiges,” Dow said.

“Talking to Paddy, I have a better understanding of what AFL is like so it’s definitely put me in good stead, and it’ll help me advance my carer so I can hopefully have a long one.

“He’s been unreal, I speak to a lot of boys who I’m good mates with and I feel I have a lot more experience in a way even though I haven’t been through it”

The 18-year-old Swan Hill junior is confident his skillset can add to an already impressive Richmond list.

“My athleticism definitely gives me that edge over others and my ability to use my agility and speed to break away from stoppages," he said.

“If I can use those at the Tiges I feel like that can be beneficial and help the team out.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/11/29/richmond-draftee-cant-believe-his-luck/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2019, 07:54:15 PM »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #62 on: December 06, 2019, 07:17:25 PM »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2019, 06:54:48 PM »
Get to know a little more about draftee Thomson Dow 😃

VIDEO: https://twitter.com/Richmond_FC/status/1203903723002400768

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2019, 11:23:22 PM »
Richmond’s first pick on draft night, Bendigo Pioneers product Thomson Dow, was a surprising selection to some but was the Tigers highest ranked player left on the board.

A home visit from Clarke and fellow recruiter and former Tiger Will Thursfield in the final week before the draft ultimately sealed the deal.

“It was one of those ones where we walked out and Will asked, ‘have we drafted him already?’” he said.

“He can probably play inside and outside but he can also play forward as well. He can play some centre bounce long term but (also) can play some wing – some of his good stuff for Geelong Grammar was playing deep forward.”

Source: Herald-Sun

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2020, 11:23:11 PM »
Not my cup of tea. Knew very little of this bloke despite him being in the elite systems mainly because he just aint my cup of tea for a player.
This means i should just shut my trap.But i just dont see how this kid is a better option or a greater need than others who were still there.

The way the draft unfolded i thought you beaut Stephens  Kemp Dekonig Robertson and  Philp who i had very high on our priority list would get to us.I prefered all of them as well as others in front of Dow.
Fine only Robertson was still there when our pick came.my gripe is i had probably another 10 in front of Dow and all met bigger needs and looked to have better attributes. As i said like his brother he is not my cup of tea in a player.

Having seen nothing of him i know it should be just shut the f up but this is after all a place for the ill informed to voice their opinions.

Online taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's
« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2020, 07:19:29 AM »
Not my cup of tea. Knew very little of this bloke despite him being in the elite systems mainly because he just aint my cup of tea for a player.
This means i should just shut my trap.But i just dont see how this kid is a better option or a greater need than others who were still there.

The way the draft unfolded i thought you beaut Stephens  Kemp Dekonig Robertson and  Philp who i had very high on our priority list would get to us.I prefered all of them as well as others in front of Dow.
Fine only Robertson was still there when our pick came.my gripe is i had probably another 10 in front of Dow and all met bigger needs and looked to have better attributes. As i said like his brother he is not my cup of tea in a player.

Having seen nothing of him i know it should be just shut the f up but this is after all a place for the ill informed to voice their opinions.

You fit right in then !

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #67 on: January 06, 2020, 11:26:21 AM »
We can only give people a chance. Maybe he is ok but i only see him as an ordinary player with good handballing skills.

I think our recruiter are drinking their own bathwater

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #68 on: January 06, 2020, 12:32:31 PM »
We can only give people a chance. Maybe he is ok but i only see him as an ordinary player with good handballing skills.

I think our recruiter are drinking their own bathwater

Are they bathing in Koolaid?

Online georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #69 on: January 06, 2020, 05:31:36 PM »
Must be 2 flags in 3 years and a host of great kids coming up.

Online pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #70 on: January 06, 2020, 08:32:29 PM »
Let's wait for him to run out in the y & b before writing him off.  In a system based side like ours maybe he will shine. 

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #71 on: February 06, 2020, 02:59:44 AM »
Richmond development coach Sam Lonergan singled out Thomson Dow, Richmond's first selection in the 2019 NAB AFL Draft, as another Tiger ready to hit the ground running in 2020.

"He's moving really well at the moment. His body is in really good shape," Lonergan said.

"His ability to use the ball by hand once he gets it and create opportunities for his teammates around him and bring them into the game is fantastic, and that's really standing out for him at the moment."

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/558121/tiger-cubs-fit-and-firing

Online georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #72 on: February 06, 2020, 05:52:53 PM »
I reckon we got a ripper with this kid big hopes for him.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2020, 03:13:26 AM »
Hardwick also claiming that fellow first-round draft pick Thomson Dow is "AFL ready".

Source: AFL website.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #74 on: March 02, 2020, 03:43:42 PM »
He looked comfortable at the level.. I'd like to think he would get a bit more game time next week.. We've been very very impressed with how he's gone about it"

- Damien Hardwick post game presser on Thomson Dow

https://twitter.com/aflratings/status/1234259790827704320