Author Topic: Hugo Ralphsmith [merged]  (Read 33878 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Hugo Ralphsmith [merged]
« Reply #135 on: July 22, 2022, 11:52:54 PM »
Been saying for weeks he should be dropped

Despite his Rising Star nomination after the GC, he was actually poor in that game

Was poor last week and tonight he was terrible

Pulled out of a contest in the last, stood back when he needed to attack contests and his kicking which is his strength was woeful
« Last Edit: July 23, 2022, 09:45:31 AM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #137 on: October 06, 2022, 11:04:30 PM »
Dont get the angst of supporters not wanting to let him go. Soft as butter outside players while you have to have a few of em are not going to win you games.

Just to tone it down of course he is a kid he has good upside and with a couple of seasons locked in a room with a cow will get to where he needs to physically. Thing is he will never be a game winner or the bloke who can drag his team mates up and over the line. There are some exquisite kicks of the footy with great pace out there with better skills than Hugo. Not as if there are no options to replace him Id say Brown and Banks are not currently that far behind him for a wing spot.
Finally believe it or not im not havng a go at him i like others like the potential but for me in the right circumstances he is very tradeable.

As always you usually have to give something decent  up, in this case potential  to get something decent  in return.

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #138 on: October 06, 2022, 11:24:12 PM »
I wouldn’t be against trading him but if we’re giving them soldo and Hugo then I’d want more then just being able to keep our pick 31. If it were hopper + their third (think it’s around 44) for our FF, soldo and Hugo then I’d be all for it as we can replace the two outgoing players with the draft picks. Also GWS have more draft picks then they can possibly use even without the players we’d give them they just don’t have the list spots available with all the picks they have.

It’s a moot point though because Hugo doesn’t want to leave and fair play to him for it. As you say above he has areas of weakness but also upside. Happy to keep him.

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #139 on: October 06, 2022, 11:30:43 PM »
I wouldn’t be against trading him but if we’re giving them soldo and Hugo then I’d want more then just being able to keep our pick 31. If it were hopper + their third (think it’s around 44) for our FF, soldo and Hugo then I’d be all for it as we can replace the two outgoing players with the draft picks. Also GWS have more draft picks then they can possibly use even without the players we’d give them they just don’t have the list spots available with all the picks they have.

It’s a moot point though because Hugo doesn’t want to leave and fair play to him for it. As you say above he has areas of weakness but also upside. Happy to keep him.

The current rumours are

31, future first and Soldo for Hopper and 44

You are suggesting

FF, Soldo, Ralph for Hopper and 44

Thus valuing Ralph as 31

Seems about right .. but as you say , fair play that he wants to stay

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #140 on: October 07, 2022, 09:46:47 AM »
Don't see how GWS would want two players. They will have multiple draft picks this year so can fill their list numbers from the draft

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #141 on: November 22, 2022, 01:38:08 PM »
'It's like we haven't missed a beat' - Ralphsmith

Hugo Ralphsmith speaks with Richmond Media following the years one to four players return to training.

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/1249796/-it-s-like-we-haven-t-missed-a-beat-ralphsmith

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #142 on: November 28, 2022, 06:20:52 PM »
After exciting Richmond fans in 2022, Ralphsmith said he was eyeing off a big pre-season.

"I'm just trying to have a really good pre-season this season, and then go into camp and then hit Round 1, and try and break into the team for Round 1 and play as many games as possible," he said.

"I think the half-back line is where but I've developed the most, but I also see myself as a wingman, but if I make the team wherever, that's where I'll play."

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1250805/ralphsmith-to-wear-father-s-no-13

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #143 on: December 03, 2022, 11:26:41 PM »
Never considered going to GWS. He first heard of it on Instagram. Flattered by Kingsley wanting him but Hugo said he's happy at Tigerland.

ps. Hugo is keeping the mullet. "Too far down the rabbit hole".

https://twitter.com/7NewsMelbourne/status/1598948553610579975

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #144 on: March 31, 2023, 11:24:22 PM »
Thought Hugo had a decent game going back playing that sweeper role. One of the few Tigers who kept his head under pressure and could actually find and hit targets.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #145 on: March 31, 2023, 11:40:32 PM »
Thought Hugo had a decent game going back playing that sweeper role. One of the few Tigers who kept his head under pressure and could actually find and hit targets.
Your joking aren't ya. Soft as butter again.

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #146 on: March 31, 2023, 11:50:00 PM »
Lol,I too thought he was ok for a kid , he is in the side as an outside runner not an inside mid.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #147 on: April 01, 2023, 12:09:32 AM »
Was average.

Did a couple of good things but a crucial one on one contest in the last he didn't put his body on the line. If he had of he would have won the ball.

Until he gets that out of his game he's going to cop criticism

And like so many tonight his disposal was poor
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #148 on: April 01, 2023, 01:06:41 AM »
Sleeps with the light on

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Hugo: The Tiger who raced on Oscar Piastri’s team (Age)
« Reply #149 on: April 04, 2023, 04:58:36 PM »
The Tiger who raced on Oscar Piastri’s team

By Peter Ryan
The Age
April 4, 2023 — 4.02pm

Playing in front of 85,000 at the MCG on Friday night and then heading to Albert Park on Saturday to watch one of your former schoolmates tear around the track in a Formula 1 car is not a bad 24 hours for a Melburnian.

That was how emerging Tiger Hugo Ralphsmith spent last weekend as he checked out his old Haileybury schoolmate and current McLaren driver Oscar Piastri in qualifying for his first F1 race in Australia, the day after Ralphsmith played his first senior match for Richmond this season.

Ralphsmith is in a unique position to assess Piastri’s rapid progress through the fiercely competitive sport. Not only did he attend classes with Piastri, he actually raced with the young driver during their primary school years.

The pair was on the same team racing human-powered vehicles in the Energy Breakthough series in 2013, testing their design skills and racing ability against those from other Victorian schools, in a 14-hour challenge in country Victoria.

Ralphsmith was as alert to Piastri’s ability as former F1 driver Mark Webber and McLaren CEO Zak Brown have been recently when he watched him hare off in the contraption they had designed as part of a subject focused on conserving energy. Ralphsmith told Snap Shot the vehicle was basically a “lie-down bike”, before praising Piastri.

“He was our best rider. He just did the turns and everything else better,” Ralphsmith said.

Which doesn’t say much for the rest of Haileybury’s team, because they could not get to the chequered flag first despite having Piastri – who also happens to be a Richmond supporter – and Ralphsmith – who has a fair set of wheels too – in the team. In fact, Ralphsmith won the grand final sprint last year.

Piastri left Haileybury in year nine to pursue his motorsport crew in the United Kingdom reducing Ralphsmith’s contact with him but since he hit Formula One he has been as interested as anyone in his progress.

On Sunday Piastri avoided trouble to finish eighth, earning points for the first time in just his third race.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/the-tiger-who-raced-on-oscar-piastri-s-team-20230404-p5cxul.html?js-chunk-not-found-refresh=true