Author Topic: Newman predicts Tigers turnaround (RFC Site)  (Read 638 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Newman predicts Tigers turnaround (RFC Site)
« on: April 20, 2006, 01:37:42 PM »
Newman predicts Tigers turnaround
11:39:34 AM Thu 20 April, 2006
Jason Phelan
Exclusive to afl.com.au

There is concern, but certainly no panic, down at Punt Road after a slow start to the season and Chris Newman is confident the Tigers can turn their onfield fortunes around sooner rather than later.

"We know that we're a better side than 0-3 and the guys are really keen to get that first win on the board and go from there," Newman says.

"I think myself and a lot of that middle group of players now - like Mark Coughlan, Chris Hyde and Andrew Krakouer - we all feel that we can step it up a little bit and contribute a little bit more. I still feel like I've got a hell of a lot of improvement in me."

Since an opening game that the yellow and black faithful would rather forget, the 23-year old defender says the side has shown promising signs without breaking through for that elusive first win.

"Although the first game was a bit of a disgrace, we made up for it a bit in the second game - I think we played some pretty good football against St Kilda - and against West Coast we were in the game at half time, but had a lapse in the third quarter and they ran all over us," he says.

"There've been some positive signs, but there have been a few lapses that really cost us and if we can try and erase that from our game and put four quarters together and we're going to be a pretty competitive side."

After an outstanding pre-season that saw him post personal best time-trial results, Newman admits to a level of frustration at his own form so far, but he's determined to keep working hard.

"I've been a little bit up and down, I started the season off just reasonable and last week was pretty disappointing for me individually," he says.

"I didn't contribute as much as I wanted to - but I feel like I'm in the best shape of my career so far and I think that if I keep working at it I can start to put a few things together on the field."

Newman says coach Terry Wallace has remained calm and focused throughout and has methodically identified areas that need attention from his players.

"In the first game we were pretty static and we didn't move the ball like we've been practicing during the off-season," he says.

"Terry's just been reinforcing a few things - there's nothing that's been changed and he's still optimistic about how we can finish up during the year.

"He's been really good - he's given us a few sprays which we've deserved and he's also kept it so that we have level heads - but I guess it's been hard on him too, he's been under a fair bit of pressure."

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=258951

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Newman predicts Tigers turnaround (RFC Site)
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 05:07:58 PM »
I wondered last week if the injury Newy copped in the Saints game was affecting him. Non-existent against the Eagles.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd