Author Topic: AFLW R1: Richmond vs Carlton @ Princes Park  (Read 9551 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
AFLW R1: Richmond vs Carlton @ Princes Park
« on: February 07, 2020, 01:47:38 AM »
AFLW Round 1

Richmond vs Carlton

Friday, 7th February @ Ikon Park (Princes Park)

Start time: 7:40 pm

Gates open: 6pm

Entry: FREE

TV: Live on Fox Footy and Channel 7 from 7.30pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GETTING THERE

Car: There is limited on street car parking available around Princes Park. Free 2-hour and meter parking in surrounding areas, please check street signage. Melbourne Zoo Parking: $2 for 5 hours. Managed by Zoo staff, monitored by city of Melbourne parking officers.

Tram: No. 19 tram (City-North Coburg) runs from the city to Royal Parade Walker St / Stop 16, a three-minute walk to Ikon Park.

Train: Take the Upfield Line to Royal Park Station. It's a 13-minutes walk from there to Ikon Park.

Bus:
Route 123 Bus to Walker St / Stop 16, then three minutes' walk to Ikon Park

Source: Herald-Sun.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: AFLW R1: Richmond vs Carlton @ Princes Park
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 01:59:07 AM »
Richmond’s Round 1 team:

B: 18. Sarah Sansonetti, 2. Phoebe Monahan, 34. Akec Makur Chuot
HB: 15. Rebecca Miller, 28. Gabrielle Seymour, 1. Sophie Molan
C: 13. Alana Woodward
HF: 14. Sabrina Frederick, 6. Christina Bernardi, 9. Hannah Burchell
F: 8. Courtney Wakefield, 24. Tayla Stahl, 16. Laura McClelland
R: 11. Alice Edmonds, 3. Katie Brennan, 4. Monique Conti
I/C: 12. Laura Bailey, 20. Holly Whitford, 7. Lauren Tesorerio, 5. Maddy Brancatisano, 10. Kodi Jacques

Emg: 17. Ella Wood, 26. Ciara Fitzgerald

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/560860/tigers-name-inaugural-aflw-team

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 02:03:01 AM »
Time to paint Carlton yellow and black: The Tiger army is coming

Sarah Black
womens.afl
6 Feb 2020

RICHMOND key forward Sabrina Frederick is hoping the Tiger army makes Ikon Park its own in Friday night's blockbuster AFLW season-opener against Carlton.

It will be the first time a Richmond AFLW team takes to the field, and despite the Tigers having hosting rights, the match will be held at Carlton's home ground to allow as many fans as possible to attend.

"I think the girls are just really excited to start the season. It's something I watched on quite enviously over the three years of playing at Brisbane, but it's nice to now be a part of that and it's such a special time," Frederick said.

"We personally want to paint Ikon Park yellow and black on Friday night, definitely just want as many fans as we possibly can out here.

"It's going to be great weather, thank god, which has been great for us, but can't wait and just want to get as many people here as we can."

Carlton midfielder Sarah Hosking is coming into her third season-opening match and believes the home ground advantage may give her side a bit of an edge.

"If anything, the girls are prepared. The season opener comes with nerves and especially being around these first four years, it's an understanding of what to expect from a game like this," Hosking said.

"Especially given it's Richmond's home game, but here at Ikon Park, we're lucky enough to train every day.

"We've sort of got an upper hand there, but we're really looking forward to starting the season opener, the girls know what to expect from a big game like that."

Richmond has been a powerhouse club in the AFL competition over the past few years, winning flags in 2017 and 2019, but Frederick is eager for her side to stand on its own two feet.

"Obviously there's a lot of history there and there's a lot of great resources in the people that's around [the club]," she said.

"But at the end of the day, we're a new team, we're not the exact same team as the boys and we want to create our own history as well.

"So, come Friday, they'll be here supporting us and the whole club will be, but we're about to write a new chapter of the book."

https://womens.afl/news/42463/time-to-paint-carlton-yellow-and-black-the-tiger-army-is-coming

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 02:05:12 AM »
Cotchin's rousing message for Tiger Army

Al Paton
Herald Sun
7 February 2020

RICHMOND is urging its fans to paint Ikon Park "yellow and black" as AFL braces for a near-capacity crowd for the opening game of AFL Women’s tomorrow.

Richmond will play its first-ever AFLW game on Friday night against the Blues, and league women’s football boss Nicole Livingstone said plans were in place for crowd numbers that could mirror those seen at the competition opener in 2017.

Tigers AFLW captain Katie Brennan said she couldn't wait.

"There’s anticipation of what it will be like and how many people will be in the crowd,” Brennan said.

“We really hope that the Tiger Army get down and pack out the stadium. But also just the significance of such a massive day for the club. I’m so excited for all the girls that haven’t played AFL Women’s, but then you go into people like our president Peggy O’Neal … and all the others at the club who put in all the work and got us here today.”

Among the crowd will be a swag of Richmond premiership stars, with men’s skipper Trent Cotchin lauding the presence of the team at Tigerland.

“It’s incredible for the footy club,” he said.

“It’s another part of our history, which to be around for so long and now have another significant part etched in what I think is a pretty special football club is very cool and I appreciate all the work that has gone into it as well.”

Livingstone said the league was ready for a big turnout.

“We are preparing for capacity and everything’s in place for that. We’ll have a screen on the northern lawn, in case the overflow needs to go out there.

“What we hope is that the Tiger Army does march down Royal Parade and really gets behind them.

“They had a win against West Coast in their practice match, and they looked good. To see Katie (Brennan) flying and Sabs (Sabrina Frederick) was great … it looks good for the Tigers.

“Hopefully with Carlton’s huge support network, we get a lot of people coming to Ikon Park.”

Tigers skipper Brennan said she had watched on as the first-ever game of AFLW in 2017 - contested between Carlton and Collingwood and was "locked out" with a capacity crowd - with "envy" as she anticipates tomorrow night's huge clash.

"It's been something that I've looked on in a bit of envy in a sense," she said.

"The first game I just remember being in tears of pride and just being so excited for all the girls running out there, that it was finally possible - we were playing for premiership points in AFLW gear.

"It's something that I've really aspired towards but I've loved watching along the way.

"I'm genuinely so excited and all you want to do is just play footy at this time of year."

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/aflw/richmond-urges-tiger-army-to-pack-ikon-park-for-first-afl-game-v-carlton/news-story/eb5667e864ab6c70ff4c930d0f1fd207

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2020, 06:57:43 AM »
Gasme day is here!  :woohoo :dogdance :spudnikbackflip

Special day for our Very Special club  :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2020, 07:34:21 AM »
Gasme day is here!  :woohoo :dogdance :spudnikbackflip

Special day for our Very Special club  :thumbsup

Common WP, i know you support the concept but its not a special day. Its just a bunch of girls trying to play footy out at Carlton .

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2020, 11:57:02 AM »

Common WP, i know you support the concept but its not a special day. Its just a bunch of girls trying to play footy out at Carlton .

Your views are duly noted again

But it is special day

Anytime any team steps out on a field in a Richmond jumper for the first  is a special milestone for our Club

Suppose you feel the same way the Wheelchair side too  ::)
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2020, 01:43:48 PM »
Can't wait to tune in! Go Tiges!  :gotigers

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2020, 04:51:47 PM »
So what is the capacity of the ground tonight?

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2020, 07:14:21 PM »
So what is the capacity of the ground tonight?
22,000 according to Ch 7 tonight.

They talked about there might be a lock-out.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2020, 07:21:21 PM »

KB and Jack spoke to the players before the game. Jack presenting the jumpers.

https://www.aflphotos.com.au/galleries/results/?q=collection:AFLW%202020%20Round%2001%20-%20Richmond%20v%20Carlton

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2020, 07:52:33 PM »
Some bad drops so far early. Hopefully the nerves settle.

Conti looks a class above.

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2020, 08:00:06 PM »
Completely embarrassing so far. Cant even get a point.