Author Topic: Frawley may quit if Tigers lose tonight (but stay on until end of the season)  (Read 5896 times)

2JD

ok Jack, I'll be rapt with that, cant go to the brissy one anyway  ;D

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Greg Miller was asked on MMM about Danny quitting after the game. He said it was just media speculation again and it's untrue. He seemed annoyed about speculative media reports about the Tigers everyday.

IMO for the Club's sake Danny should say he's going within the next month. Say no later than round 16 to still give us plenty of time to search for our next coach. With a record of 4-11 or 4-12 it would come across as a sensible action by Danny and show no sign he was pushed which would be good come the time we hunt for a new coach.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Gee I hope this time that Car's predictions are more factual than her CEO (Leighton Wood appointment). ;D

Just remember folks that even though public statements aren't being made that doesn't mean there isn't movement behind the scenes.

As they say in the classics "keep the faith" ;D ;D ;D

;) ;)
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond

With the Tigers sitting 14th on the ladder with only four wins this season and the lowest percentage in the competition, the accepted wisdom at the club now is that despite his best attempts, Frawley has not lost the respect but no longer has the belief of his players.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2004/06/18/1087245115139.html

I have to say I am confused by this statement.  :-\ :-\ :-[

What does it mean? Respect but no belief? ::)

I would be interested in people's thoughts on this one

Ox

I THINK It means that the players respect him as a human being
but, by now, are aware that he has no coaching skill therefore giving them no belief in him as coach.

It means he's a good bloke but a professional dud.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
I THINK It means that the players respect him as a human being
but, by now, are aware that he has no coaching skill therefore giving them no belief in him as coach.

It means he's a good bloke but a professional dud.

Spot on Ox.

Ox

Still no word.....................
he must be waiting until mid week to let us know that
HE IS RESIGNING AT THE END OF THE SEASON !  >:(
« Last Edit: June 20, 2004, 12:16:02 AM by Ox »

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Frawley tight-lipped over future
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2004, 03:24:41 AM »
Frawley tight-lipped over future
By Martin Blake
realfooty.theage.com.au
June 20, 2004

Danny Frawley refused to address questions on his future after Richmond slumped to another defeat, against Carlton, at Telstra Dome last night.

After the Tigers' record slipped to 4-9 at the break and out of contention for the finals, Frawley began his news conference with a plea for no questions about his own situation, which is tenuous to say the least. He would not confirm or deny the tenor of an Age article yesterday that suggested he was on the verge of resigning.

"Before I start, I'd like a little bit of respect and decency about the article that's in the paper today," said Frawley. "I reckon I've been fairly up-front and honest with you guys, and ladies. I would really respect if you could ask questions about the game."

Richmond's coach of the past five years said questions about his future needed to be addressed to other people. "I just don't need to be seen commenting about it."

On the Tigers' 31-point defeat, Frawley blamed the poor start, with Richmond slipping to a 55-point deficit midway through the second quarter before a third-quarter revival.

"It was a pretty disappointing first half. We showed a bit of grit in the second half but you can't afford to give away starts like that," he said.

The Richmond coach also acknowledged the influence of Carlton full-forward Brendan Fevola, who booted eight goals on Ray Hall, Ty Zantuck and Kayne Pettifer. "We had no one to play on Fevola . . . He had three opponents. His performance was the difference in the end. There's no doubting that."

Asked whether Richmond had given up on the finals, Frawley said: "It'll look after itself, I suppose. We've got to make sure we grow this group."

The Tigers were not helped last night by an early concussion suffered by Nathan Brown, who left the field for the whole second quarter before returning. Frawley said Brown had been "away with the fairies" and had shown great courage to return to the field.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2004/06/19/1087595792871.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Miller denies Frawley ready to resign
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2004, 03:35:36 AM »
Miller denies Frawley ready to resign
20 June 2004   
Sunday Herald Sun
Jon Ralph

RICHMOND football director Greg Miller yesterday ruled out an announcement on Danny Frawley's coaching future this week, but said a decision before the end of the season was possible.

Miller, responding to reports Frawley would announce as early as today his intention to quit at the end of the year, said there had been no discussions about the coach's short-term future.

"It is pure speculation at the moment. Danny may have his own private thoughts, but certainly from the point of view of the club it is just speculation," he said.

"It is way beyond the boundaries of possibility. It won't happen. If that is to occur in two weeks, four weeks, eight weeks or 10 weeks, the first thing we would do is sit down and discuss it together.

"I have a chat to him about different things all the time. He probably knew (this week) it was a very difficult chance to make the finals. At some point that might happen at Round 21 or perhaps earlier, but it certainly hasn't been discussed yet."

There has been pressure on the Tigers since early in the year to either back Frawley's tenure or state their intentions for 2005. Miller said there was different speculation about the Tigers every day.

"It has happened many times before; coaches have made the decision (to resign) before the season ends," he told Triple M. "It is not as though it is groundbreaking.

"It hasn't been discussed. (Danny) knows his circumstances. We haven't performed well. That isn't hard to work out, but it certainly hasn't been a discussion point."

Miller said that while it seemed finals football was out of reach, players needed to realise they would be judged on their performances in the second half of the year.

"Players respond differently," he said. "Some are fighting for their footy lives. I, as one person who will be there next year, will be making that decision as well.

"They have got different varying reasons for their own pride to play well. They don't want to let (Danny) down.

"When a team is not performing there is a combination of factors. It is not just the players, not just the coaches, not just the administrators, it's a combination of things we have to do better and some of the players that played good footy this year haven't last year."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,9894747%255E19742,00.html

2JD

WHAT PRIDE!!!! There is not a skerrick of pride when Richmond play. I went...  i sat in my seat till half time, then I had to remove myself for the safety of the kid in front of me who had to turn and look at me every friggin time Carlton got a goal(plus I didnt want him to see my look of utter resignation or the tear in my eye) >:(. I went and stood with foxhat and his mates, which made it a little better, but, being unable to drink and numb the pain I took my son and went home. I didn't think it would be right to leave my 13 yr old parked outside The Locker Room while his mum got herself lost in the warm smoky surrounds and wrapped herself in a few bourbons  :(

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
Well Caro has just said on 3AW that she stands by her story (what a surprise :o).

She also said (and I cannot remember the exact words but I did almost choke on the lovely snowball I was gutsing at the time :)) that somtimes when you have a story that's right to write it maybe wrong.

Huh.......?

Yeah nah I know what you mean I think :P :-[ :o

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
One of his strengths at Richmond has been his development work with the younger players at the club.

The mark of any good coach is in being able to impart something to the players that can take them to the next stage in their development.  And that has been our biggest downfall for years and perhaps the reason why our players never get to a level that is beyond mediocre, especially when compared to the rest of the competition.

Our players stagnate at or about their 4th or 5th year and never progress thereafter.  Instead, they play for ten years as though they are in the 4th or 5th year of their development.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.