Author Topic: Frawley may quit if Tigers lose tonight (but stay on until end of the season)  (Read 5891 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
By Caroline Wilson
realfooty.theage.com.au
June 19, 2004

Richmond coach Danny Frawley is planning a dignified exit from Tigerland and could announce his resignation in a matter of days should the club lose to Carlton tonight.

Frawley is believed to have accepted his time is up as senior coach of the Tigers, having achieved only 45 wins from 103 games, and has told friends he will resign over the mid-season break should the finals become a mathematical impossibility after tonight.

But Frawley, 40, has no intention of walking out on his contract and will coach until the end of the season.

With the Tigers sitting 14th on the ladder with only four wins this season and the lowest percentage in the competition, the accepted wisdom at the club now is that despite his best attempts, Frawley has not lost the respect but no longer has the belief of his players.

A subcommittee headed up by director of football Greg Miller has made it clear that work has begun to find a new coach for 2005, although the popular choice, Kevin Sheedy, has not been contacted by his old club.

Sheedy will make a decision regarding a two-year contract offer from Essendon after this weekend's Melbourne game.

But Sheedy's connections scoffed at reports yesterday that the Bombers' coach had been approached by a rebel group plotting the demise of president Clinton Casey, saying Sheedy had no knowledge of any coup and had spoken to no one involved or potentially involved at Richmond since the start of the season.

After tonight's clash with the Blues, the Tigers are scheduled to meet four of the top five teams over the next month - Brisbane Lions, Essendon, St Kilda and Melbourne.

Frawley, his wife Anita and the couple's three children plan to remain in Melbourne despite substantial farming and other interests on both sides of the family around the Ballarat area.

Having worked at the AFL during his final years at St Kilda, where he holds the club record as captain, Frawley is regarded as eminently employable in the football industry.

One of his strengths at Richmond has been his development work with the younger players at the club.

Frawley's manager Ricky Nixon was unavailable for comment yesterday but is believed to have held a series of talks with Frawley and others regarding his future.

Miller told The Age: "Anything can happen in football. Danny and I certainly haven't discussed anything like that."

Having worked as an assistant for three years under Tony Shaw at Collingwood, Frawley took over from Jeff Gieschen at Tigerland in 2000.

He immediately encountered a new group of assistant coaches and a football department structure - with Casey replacing Leon Daphne and Mark Brayshaw replacing Jim Malone - that, in hindsight, left the rookie coach forced to confront situations in which he had little experience.

It was Shaw's mid-season retirement at Victoria Park, paving the way for Mick Malthouse's appointment, that could prove the model for Frawley's method of departure.

When former Kangaroos chief executive Miller took over the football department at the end of 2002, he quickly moved to extend Frawley's contract until the end of this year, removing a performance clause that Miller felt would have placed unfair pressure on the coach.

But Frawley began this, his final season, in dreadful circumstances when outgoing director and mentor Tony Jewell criticised his coaching style. Jewell said Frawley was indecisive in the coach's box and had come from a losing culture at St Kilda.

Casey then said just over a fortnight ago that the club needed to appoint an experienced coach next time around, a comment that hurt Frawley and which Tigers' football department insiders believe was the final straw for players' confidence in their coach.

The club was further damaged by Casey's eroding power-base.

Three directors resigned from his board at the start of the season, chief executive Ian Campbell was forced out, Casey's choice as his replacement Leighton Wood was vetoed by the rest of the board, and it was revealed that the club was in diabolical financial strife and would seek AFL assistance.

Football department costs have been cut this season and disastrous changes to the marketing department, along with a series of worst-case financial scenarios, mean the club will lose $2 million-3 million.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2004/06/18/1087245115139.html
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Happy days are here again  ;D.

In all seriousness Danny if he does go through with quitting will have made the right call to go. Now for Brittain, Crocker, Hutchison, Spargo and Beck to do the same. It'll give us plenty of time and the opportunity to be open about going through the process of finding the next and right coach to rebuild our list.

One of his (Frawley's) strengths at Richmond has been his development work with the younger players at the club.

Apart from Coughlan and possibly Krakouer and Newman that comment is so off the mark it's funny. Sticking young blokes on the bench for 3/4 of each game and not bringing them on until the game is gone is good for their development Caro?!  ::).
« Last Edit: June 19, 2004, 02:09:53 AM by mightytiges »
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Puntroadroar

• Premiership Captain
  • Our Very own Top Gun
thought id never say this but

come on carlton !!!!

oh i feel ill  :-X

i think i need to go wash my mouth out now

see what u have done to me spud!! please pick me to help pack ur bags on ur way out.
There's no I in team, but there is 5 i's in Individual Brilliance.

Ox

Thats the best news i've heard in years.
Better be true and not caro tripping on prozac again.

froars

One of his strengths at Richmond has been his development work with the younger players at the club.

Choking on my Weeties here!

Jackstar

Weeties hey Froars, does it help with hangovers? lol

Jackstar

Really, if he quits tonite or in amonths time, does it make any real difference.? He knows he wont be there next year. What would happen if he turned around and walked out tonight ?
We would have somebody worse takeover if thats possible, BRITAIN.
I would believe there is a bit of friction to say the least behind the scenes.
Ooouch, those knifes in the back must be sharp at punt road.

froars

I don't care when he does it as long as he's not there next year - or has any involvement in recruiting. 
He seems a nice guy, but so is my newsagent - don't want him coaching our club either.
I still want to beat the Blues tonight PRR lol
Jackstar, don't care if there's friction there either.  Let them suffer a bit like the supporters have for the past 20+ years.
Has anyone been outside yet lol
Had to go out early this morning and it is f**** freezing lol

Jackstar

My newsagent is a nice bloke too.
Very cold outside , just been for a run.
Isnt it good we have TELSTRA DOME.
Hate to be playing at the g in weather like this although there are people on certain other forums who would still prefer there red seats in weather like this , lol
Lets just win tonite as it might be a long time between drinks for the remainder of the season.

Offline Struggletown

• Premiership Captain
Development of young players??
Id like Caroline to justify that !!!

At least now we can chase coaches out in the open and not listen to party lines of 'processes at the end of the season' bollox.Get active and aggressive on securing a topline coach fellas,you carn't afford to stuff this appointment up.

If we believe this article,where does this leave the credibility(for the want of a better word) of Patrick Smiths article claiming Sheedy and a CEO of his choice were in the wings for a imminent ticket until yesterdays appointment of Steven Wright??

Caroline seems to be having a shot at Smith by claiming not only was the claim rubbish,but also he hasn't been approached at all??
Drink,Drugs and Shagging models.
The rest l just wasted.
  George Best on where his millions went

Offline wrennyboy

• Future Richmond star
  • Captain Coughlan
Best case senario is if we lose tonite at least he wont be there next year and we can play teh youngsters.
wrenny

Jackstar

he wont be there next year FULL STOP !

Ox

He must be the biggest nuff nuff,loser to ever coach and AFL/VFL Team.

Go Blues and Good riddance you born loser.

2JD

Well, I'll be going tonite, I want to see a win, but.......I know for the betterment of our club I'm sposed to want them to lose, but geez I paid good money for my seats, I dont want to sit in them and cry :'(. Its getting all too difficult to be a Richmond supporter lol

Jackstar

We will win tonite and Frawley will resign after the Brisbane loss ???