Author Topic: Houli considering retirement if he has to (7 news)  (Read 1060 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Houli considering retirement if he has to (7 news)
« on: April 11, 2020, 06:40:02 PM »
As per title.

More in Ch 7 news' sports report coming up shortly.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 07:59:28 PM by one-eyed »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Houli considering retirement if he has to (7 news)
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2020, 06:53:19 PM »
Houli said as much as he loves footy, family comes first.

He's working at the family fish & chip shop.

With the talk of list culls, if it's best for the club then he would consider retiring. He'll stay on as long as we'll have him. He has no regrets if there's no more footy this season and nothing to complain about if he has to retire as his last game was a premiership.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 07:59:38 PM by one-eyed »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2020, 07:06:52 PM »
As the momentum for AFL hubs continues to build dual premiership tiger Bachar Houli admits he would seriously consider choosing family over footy. @_AMcCormack7 #7NEWS

Watch here: https://twitter.com/7NewsMelbourne/status/1248897401051471872
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 07:59:46 PM by one-eyed »

Offline skiddymcghee

• Future Richmond star
  • "Be the Ball
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2020, 09:56:16 AM »
Great man is Bachar Houli

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2020, 01:23:37 PM »
Can play for another 2 years. He is as fit as anybody. Lives a clean lifestyle and he is a great man. Houli plsys on IMHO.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2020, 01:41:16 PM »
Starting to get injured far more frequently...should do the noble thing and hang up the boots so promising kids can stay on the list... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2020, 05:39:25 PM »
Problem for Houli and it isn't his fault is the likelihood lists are going to be cut

So players are going to cut in alot of cases when they shouldn't be

After carefully building our list in particular depth the changes are going to be terrible for us

Some good players due to their age will go. Some kids who haven't had time will go

Tough decisions are on the horizon
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2020, 11:19:29 PM »
Problem for Houli and it isn't his fault is the likelihood lists are going to be cut

After carefully building our list in particular depth the changes are going to be terrible for us

Some good players due to their age will go. Some kids who haven't had time will go

Not sure I agree.
If the list sizes are cut to 34-38, I don’t think we’ll be giving up much at all. Our strengths don’t really hit picks 34-42.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2020, 03:33:33 AM »
HOULI HEADACHE ON AFL HUB IDEA

Richmond star Bachar Houli has acknowledged family may outweigh footy should the AFL go ahead with its quarantine hub plan.

The plan would see one or multiple hubs house players for an extended period while they complete games of football in an effort to get a season away.

Houli, who has played 181 games for the Tigers, suggested it would be a tough decision to leave home.

“I love my football, but far greater I love my family more,” he told Channel 7.

“So for me it’ll be just a case-by-case.”

On the prospect of retirement, the 31-year-old said he will do whatever is in the best interests of the club.

“I’m a person that will put my hand up and say you know what if it’s for the best of the club no problems at all,” he said.

“I’ll stay on as long as I can until kindly enough I get nice tap on the shoulder.”

Source: Foxsports.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2020, 09:52:25 AM »

Not sure I agree.
If the list sizes are cut to 34-38, I don’t think we’ll be giving up much at all. Our strengths don’t really hit picks 34-42.

We have kids on our list that haven't played, drafted over the last 12-24 months. What happens to them?  Some will get flicked

The issue becomes balancing the list with your core and which kids and over 30 to keep.

Personally I'd cut  list to 42 and no rookies. But that creates problems for us as we have a number of rookies who we must keep.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2020, 01:52:22 PM »
There'll be quite a few conundrums  - might also depend of what depth we have in what areas...f.e. you'd think KPD's would be more valuable which might save the likes of Garthwaite and see us keep Nyuon ahead of blokes drafted higher like Martyn & Cumberland.......then again with less coaches & and a skinnier list we probably can't afford to carry or put as much time into developing kids or project players like Biggie.... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2020, 03:03:50 PM »

It will be interesting to see how the AFL handles this.
The easiest way to cut lists is to remove players who are out of contract. It avoids the whole complication of contract law.
Having said that I cannot see how you could remove a draftee who only signed this year, for two years, and hasn't played a game.
I think we have 12 senior players and 3 rookies out of contract this year (among them of course Houli).
To avoid any extra legal issues over breaking contracts we would delist our quota from those players.

Of course this does not even consider the way large contracts - Dusty, Lynch, etc - can be re-negotiated to fit a lower salary cap.

IMO this is the very reason why the richer clubs - including Richmond - have decided not to take too much debt from the AFL.
If you are in debt to the AFL they will make a lot of the decisions about support structures and even who remains on your playing list.
I can see some clubs being put in the position where, if they don't have many players out of contract, some of their most important players would be delisted.
Similarly Richmond and Collingwood would probably opt to structure their off-field to keep Murray and Maxwell at their club. Debtor clubs may not have the choice.
We already know that head office thinks there are too many game analysts, sports science staff and player welfare personnel (leadership, minfullness) at clubs.
This is an opportunity to restructure off-field staff that I don't think the AFL will be able to resist.   

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2020, 06:31:06 PM »
Why not just pay the players less? And keep the lists the same size.