Author Topic: Hardwick wants AFL return date ASAP (ABC/Age/Fox)  (Read 502 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Hardwick wants AFL return date ASAP (ABC/Age/Fox)
« on: April 26, 2020, 01:08:03 PM »
Hardwick wants AFL return date ASAP

The Age
26 April 2020

Damien Hardwick would be prepared to take Richmond to an interstate hub in order to reboot the AFL season.

The dual premiership coach admits it has been difficult to navigate training schedules without an official end date for the competition's coronavirus shutdown in sight.

But he believes the defending premiers could be up and running for competitive matches with as little as two weeks' serious training.

"As long as everyone's off the same start point, I think we'll be OK," Hardwick told ABC's Offsiders on Sunday.

"I can't see us going into a three- or four-week training block to start the season.

"I think our players would [need] two weeks maybe and then get the game up and going."

The AFL is considering all states and territories as possible bases for isolation hubs as it attempts to restart the season, which was put on hold last month.

Clubs would likely be kept in hubs for a minimum of six weeks, which could consist of a three-week training block and three weeks of matches.

Most states have already declared their interest in hosting a hub, with Queensland firming as a potential base after Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk announced on Sunday some restrictions would be eased from May 2.

"I think we just want to get the game up and going and we're prepared to do [anything]," Hardwick said of the prospect of moving his team interstate for an extended period of time.

"This is me speaking. We haven't had the real conversation with our players as such because a lot will depend on the AFLPA and their decision-making."

AFL boss Gillon McLachlan has told clubs he will be in a position to announce plans for the competition on May 11.

It is in contrast to the rival NRL's timeline, with rugby league's premier competition set to resume on May 28.

Hardwick applauded the NRL's "aspirational-type leadership" in setting a return date but said he understood why the AFL was yet to follow suit.

"As soon as we get that date, that will make things a lot easier and give us a lot more certainty to plan for that," Hardwick said.

"That's the one thing we haven't got at the moment and that's really challenging from a mental aspect.

"We're working heavily with the government and the AFL are doing a great job in making sure that the environment is safe.

"But from a coaching and playing point of view, we'd love a date as soon as possible. That way we can get started."

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sport/afl/hardwick-wants-afl-return-date-asap-20200426-p54nb3.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Hardwick wants AFL return date ASAP (ABC/Age/Fox)
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2020, 01:08:51 PM »
Dimma applauds NRL plan, wants similar from AFL

April 26, 2020 12:22pm
by David Zita
FOX SPORTS

The AFL were set to make an announcement on a return plan by the end of the month, but it has since been pushed back to May 11.

Speaking on ABC’s Offsiders, Hardwick pointed to the NRL and ARL Commission chairman Peter V’landys for announcing May 28 as its preferred return date.

“I really applaud the NRL for their aspirational type leadership of giving a date,” Hardwick said.

“I love a carrot so to speak, I love a date to work with.

“I think the really challenging aspect for us as coaches and players at the moment is we haven’t got a date so the motivation of when to start your training to prepare for that date.

“We’re very fortunate, I’ve got a great group of coaches who work really hard on getting a great understanding of what the players need and require but as soon as we get that date that will make things a lot easier and give us a lot more certainty to plan for that because it's the one thing we haven’t got at the moment and that’s really challenging from a mental aspect.

“I can understand why (the AFL is delaying its decision).

“Once again, we’re working heavily with the government, the AFL are doing a great job in making sure the environment is safe but I think from a coaching or playing point of view we’d love a date as soon as possible, that way we can get started.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2020-afl-damien-hardwick-richmond-tigers-coach-damien-hardwick-afl-return-date-nrl-nrl-2020/news-story/e35f4ac2d53fa9e04f723c22f80acdcb

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 01:17:49 PM »
Dimma, the NRL's leadership?  :help

Not getting clearance from governments? But using the NSW Police Commisioner view as approval to start on May 28th

Not even having a plan on the length is season, no discussion with their FTA broadcaster. I know Rupert and his media rule the NRL but seriously Dimma?.

The NRL model is based on $$ first and player safety last. That's not leadership in any form

« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 09:18:31 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2020, 07:57:27 PM »
NRL are a bunch of idiots, only outweighed by Rugby Australia. Both are Murdoch's beatches so deserve all they get.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2020, 11:30:35 PM »
“Seems to me like an impatient coach”: Bombers great disagrees with Hardwick’s NRL praise

By Alex Zaia
SEN
27 April 2020

Hardwick’s comments surprised Essendon great Matthew Lloyd who backed the AFL’s call to delay confirming a restart date until May 11.

“I disagree with Damien. I was surprised that he said that he admires the NRL because of what they’ve done and the path they’ve taken,” Lloyd told Sportsday.

“He seems to me like an impatient coach. Gill McLachlan’s not the CEO, and a great one at that, because he is good at dangling carrots.

“He is waiting until May 11 because why throw something out there to give everybody hope when he doesn’t know what that date is.

“Come May 11, he’ll tell us exactly what that date is. Everyone wants structure at AFL (clubs) … but Gill can’t give them that at the moment.

“So just because the NRL has done it … we’ve got to stick to the right processes here.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/04/27/seems-to-me-like-an-impatient-coach-bombers-great-disagrees-with-hardwicks/