Author Topic: Campbell is finished  (Read 4125 times)

Bulluss

Campbell is finished
« on: June 19, 2004, 11:04:39 PM »
Wayne Campbell was an absolute disgrace tonight. The only good thing he done was take himself off the ground after giving away two free kicks in a row for very undisciplined acts.

Coming from the Captain i think that it was pathetic and he should be trying to lead by example, he is a disgrace to the number 17 jumper and should stop wearing it immediately. He has lost his pace due to his achillies injury and that has really brang him back to the pack and in my opinion he is no longer up to league footy.

I dont care how many touches he gets each week, his time is up and he should retire.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Campbell is finished
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2004, 01:48:27 AM »
I'm less harsh on Cambo as opposed to the other pretenders in our side. As you say Bulluss he has lost a huge amount of pace due to the achillies injury. He's most likely trying his guts out but his body is failing him dismally. Sadly I agree it's time for him to retire at the end of the year.   
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2004, 02:19:22 AM »
It took him 14 years to do it, but he finally cracked. It says something about our club when someone as meek as Campbell is driven nuts with the way things are going. It was a sad sight to see...

Jackstar

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2004, 11:28:32 AM »
sadly he is finished

2JD

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2004, 11:51:48 AM »
Never liked the way he obtained the captaincy, the way he used to tuck his long hair behind his ears in his early days, the way he takes absolutely ages to kick in from FB. IMHO he has always been a look at me player, not a leader, shouldve been left as a player. Sad thing is we have a lack of suitable replacements

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2004, 01:45:33 PM »
It took him 14 years to do it, but he finally cracked. It says something about our club when someone as meek as Campbell is driven nuts with the way things are going. It was a sad sight to see...

I don’t think Cambo’s meek at all.  It’s just that our footy club wouldn’t know how to get him to direct any natural aggression in a game and at the appropriate time.

Instead of getting angry on the field, he saves it for times when abuse is being hurled at him over the fence or when a player has a go at him and then he just doesn’t know how to deal with it.

I just feel sorry for those players who have some ability, dedication and self-motivation, but no guidance or direction to help get the best out of themselves.  Instead they get turned into robots, with no spirit, passion or enthusiasm.

We should just revert to what we're best suited to and that's being a factory for mass producing machinery, because we have no people skills whatsoever.

If we knew what we were doing, we could be half dangerous.  ::)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2004, 03:32:43 PM by Tiger Spirit »
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2004, 03:28:21 PM »
I'm less harsh on Cambo as opposed to the other pretenders in our side. As you say Bulluss he has lost a huge amount of pace due to the achillies injury. He's most likely trying his guts out but his body is failing him dismally. Sadly I agree it's time for him to retire at the end of the year.   

Sadly my thoughts haven't changed two months later. He did have a 30 possession game yesterday but he had little influence as most were short kicks or handballs. I believe it's time for us to bite the bullet and for Cambo to retire after Saturday and we start afresh next year. Our older/senior blokes must be moved on for the good of the team.

froars

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2004, 03:36:27 PM »
I have warmed to Cambo in the last couple of seasons - thought he had a couple of good years, but i would like to see him retire.  He's one of the last remnants of our losing '90s, and would be good to see a new crop of kids come through with a winning psyche.

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2004, 03:38:22 PM »
I thought he wasn't great but I also think he was our third best player. (just ahead of Richo & Jackson)
JohnF summed it up well a few months ago about the drop in his usually excellent standard. He's still in our best 22 though.
I agree he had many short kicks and handballs. The big difference to a fair proportion of our side was that he actually hit a target.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Bulluss

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2004, 03:50:18 PM »
if he is to continue, he cant play on ball anymore. How many Hawthorn players showed him a clean set of heels yesterday?

He just simply cant chase anymore, it is sad that he has come to this point. He may get a little quicker with another pre-season under his belt. My choice would be to play him on a half forward flank next season, he is a good mark one on one for his size and his experience is still required.

Plus i would rather see DUDS like Nicholls, Houlihan, Fletcher, Hilton, Marsh, Fiora etc etc get the flick before Cambo.

He MUST give up the captaincy though.

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2004, 03:54:03 PM »
Fair call Bulluss.
I wouldn't expect he'll be captain next year. I do hope he plays one more year.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2004, 03:54:31 PM »
Bulluss I totally agree with you......bar the last sentence. You are right in every essence of your post....but there is no one putting their hand up that is STANDING OUT to say they deserve the captaincy. I for one feel Campbo should pass it on, BUT they just appear to be no REAL contenders.

People have underestimated Campbo's service to the club over the years....
Den uparxei Ellada xwris AEK.

Finally our new webage: http://www.original21.com/melbourne

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2004, 04:01:58 PM »
It would be nice if we had a side choc-full of talent which would allow Campbell to play a bit part role, roaming around and picking up the odd possession here and there with the better footballers doing the majority of the work. He could be of value in that capacity. But given how schit we are at the moment he is asked to carry much more than he can handle. And as a leader fo a side, he comes up way short.

Like Fishfinger says, he is still in our best 22, and I would say easily in our best 22, but this is more a sign of how bad we are travelling than what Campbell is offering. Whether its now or midyear next year when he gets another injury, he's finished.

Ox

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2004, 05:02:48 PM »
Poor Wayne.

You can Give your life to a club but when your time has come..............

No captaincy next year if he should play.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Cambo to play on
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2004, 10:54:10 PM »
On the radio today they said Cambo announced before today's game that he would be standing down as captain but would play on for one more year.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2004, 10:57:05 PM by mightytiges »