Author Topic: Horror injury fallout win ‘may cost Tigers a shot at the flag’ (Foxsports)  (Read 1037 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Horror injury fallout means win ‘may cost Tigers a shot at the flag’

July 5, 2020 7:00pm
Ben Waterworth
FOX SPORTS

Despite regaining their trademark forward handball game for the first time since the season restart, Richmond’s 27-point win over Melbourne on Sunday appeared to come at a massive cost, with three dual premiership players finishing the game on the bench and an injury cloud hanging over its star goalkicker.

On top of that, it emerged during the game that two senior players, Shane Edwards and Bachar Houli, wouldn’t be travelling with the team to its interstate hub to continue the 2020 AFL season.

It means Richmond will fly to Queensland without a full list, with eight to 10 players set to be left behind in Victoria.

Asked if it was the Tigers of old, dual premiership Kangaroo David King told Fox Footy post-game: “It was – but what price, the victory? That’s the situation right now.

“Is this the game that costs them their premiership opportunity?”

As the Tigers held on against the Dees, skipper Trent Cotchin, gun midfielder Dion Prestia and ruckman Toby Nankervis were sitting on the interchange bench after suffering injuries during the game.

Prestia appears to be the biggest concern, as it stands. The ball magnet’s lower leg got caught underneath him during a tackle from young Demon Kysaiah Pickett late in Sunday night’s game. He was assisted from the field and seen close to tears as coach Damien Hardwick consoled him.

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick post-game said Prestia had suffered a syndesmosis injury.

Prestia told Channel 7 post-game: “We’ll find out more tomorrow, so we’ll see how we go.

“It didn’t feel too good when it first happened.

“I’ll try to get up there (Gold Coast) – it’d be nice to get some hot weather – but I’ll just see how we go.”

Nankervis didn’t spend any time on the field in the final term after suffering his own syndesmosis injury in the previous quarter.

Like Prestia, Nankervis’ lower leg twisted awkwardly while being tackled by Demons utility Adam Tomlinson.

Cotchin’s injury is also a concern, confirming post-game that he’d suffered another hamstring setback – his fourth in 12 months.

Asked about his prognosis on Channel 7 post-game, a reluctant Cotchin said: “I’m not sure yet, but I think a tiny little hammy.

“It is what it is, it’s part of the game we play.”

Earlier in the game, cameras captured Tom Lynch favouring his hand after having a shot for goal.

Richmond medical staff were seen placing a glove on Lynch’s hand during a quarterly break and he played on, kicking two late goals to help seal the win for his side.

Hardwick revealed post-game Lynch played out the game with a broken finger. But scans will determine the severity of the injury.

With Edwards and Houli set to stay in Victoria and gun defender David Astbury still a month away after suffering a dislocated knee cap, it means the Tigers could have as many as seven of first-choice players unavailable for the foreseeable future.

“We’ve been down this path before, we’ve dealt with it and I’m sure we’ll deal with it pretty well again,” Hardwick told reporters.

It’s a far from ideal scenario for the Tigers, who just regained some form before jetting off on their first hub experience of the season.

However five-time premiership Hawk Dermott Brereton wasn’t entirely convinced by the win over the Demons.

“Well done, they got the win and they got a bit of their brand back. But if they played somebody in form today, that somebody else I think probably still beats Richmond,” Brereton told Fox Footy.

“I don’t think they were convincing, they were a little unsure of the ball and they took a few risks that I didn’t think was them.

“They’re back on track, but they’re still not where they want to be.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2020-richmond-injury-list-dion-prestia-ankle-trent-cotchin-hamstring-tigers-defeat-melbourne/news-story/79d252f9e23a9ef4445a4acf9d1c3e11

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
david king has nfi, and its why he could never make it in the coaching system.

do they have short memories these flogs?

nank
jack
cotch
rance

didnt we lose them all last year?

we can replace these guys, and to be honest houli has had a shocking start to 21 so no big loss IMO

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
The Tigers will need to summon something special

Remember round four last year, Richmond fans? A breezy Saturday evening against Port Adelaide at Adelaide Oval. No Dustin Martin. No Trent Cotchin. No Jack Riewoldt. No Alex Rance. The seven-point win was later described by Damien Hardwick as the victory that changed the team's fortunes and catapulted them towards a second premiership in three years. Then 1-2 heading into the clash, an undermanned Tigers outfit hardly looked back after recording the upset win. Perhaps a few victories in the Queensland hub, potentially without eight of its 2019 premiership stars, could provide a similar foundation to build upon this year for the 2-2-1 side. Cotchin (hamstring), Dion Prestia and Toby Nankervis (both ankle syndesmosis), and Tom Lynch (broken finger) look set to be unavailable next week. David Astbury (knee) is already out. Shane Edwards and Bachar Houli look likely to remain in Victoria for family reasons. Brandon Ellis has left for Gold Coast. Hardwick described the subsequent challenge in front of the Tigers, which includes heading interstate for the next five weeks without those key premiership stars, as "exciting" on Sunday night. Win a couple of games along the way and it could be inspiring as well.

- Riley Beveridge

https://www.afl.com.au/news/460085/nine-things-we-learned-why-the-dons-have-a-nightmare-on-their-hands

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
I remember the days when a sprained ankle was simply that and not this syndesmosis issue which once you get it means you are out for 6-8 weeks. 

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Could be a blessing , at least in the long term if not the short term ...looking forward to seeing some of the next generation get an extended run... :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
I agree still no word on Toby and Cotchin injuries.We got some handy players to come in hopefully time in vfl woke them up.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond's biggest ally to their 2019 flag is now their biggest enemy

By Gerard Whateley
SEN
6 July 2020

Victory at any cost isn’t victory at all.

The art of war was cruel for Richmond last night.

It secured the four points and restored a good measure of Tiger football, but the toll was too high.

Injury and absence is set to replace form as the chief concern for Damien Hardwick and the quest for back to back premierships.

There are such strong echoes of the struggles in the first half of last year, which was spent in the constant grip of adversity.

Richmond used time as its ally in a strategically brilliant premiership assault.

It took it welts falling to 7-6 and waited for the mid-season bye, then launched from ninth, immediately looking the best team in the competition and not losing in a dominant three month stretch.

The difference this year – time is the enemy in a 17-round season without a bye and their fixture beyond Sydney and North Melbourne might play a pivotal role in determining their fortunes.

The mantra will be to keep it together.

The Tigers roused from their lethargy only to be flattened by injury.

The physical toll is obvious – Dion Prestia and Toby Nankervis with long term ankle injuries, Trent Cotchin with that persistent hamstring complaint.

And Bachar Houli and Shane Edwards not entering the hub.

That’s a migraine at selection.

The emotional toll will best be judged in hindsight.

Is this a quest that’s just too hard or will the adversity again light the fire?

The one thing we can say with some certainty is Richmond is living its family values.

And for the most part I’m relieved to see a level of empathy and compassion for Houli and Edwards who are prioritizing their families over travel at the moment.

The players have too often been cast as the villains this season when in reality they are making the necessary sacrifices to ensure the competition can be staged.

A little bit of gratitude and kindness is in order.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/07/06/richmonds-biggest-ally-to-their-2019-flag-is-now-their-biggest-enemy/

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
We will light the fires of hell for the finals bound opponents. They will be singed and burnt and whilst i think 2020 is a bit of a joke as a season it would be fun th o watch us nail a 13th flag for all the melts on big footy lol.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Are the challenges in front of Richmond now “insurmountable”? (SEN)
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2020, 07:11:51 PM »
Are the challenges in front of Richmond now “insurmountable”?

By Andrew Slevison
SEN
6 July 2020

Richmond face a difficult five weeks ahead as the club moves into hub life on the Gold Coast.

The Tigers put behind them a couple of poor weeks on the field by claiming their first win since the season restart, beating Melbourne by 27 points at the MCG on Sunday.

But the victory came at a cost for the 2017 and 2019 premiers.

Captain Trent Cotchin sustained a slight hamstring strain, reigning best and fairest Dion Prestia and ruckman Toby Nankervis both suffered syndesmosis injuries which will see them sidelined for some time, forward Tom Lynch has a broken finger while key defender David Astbury will remain out for another month with a knee issue.

With Bachar Houli and Shane Edwards not heading into the hub due to recent births and impending arrivals, the Tigers will be without a handful or so of premiership players for the next five weeks which according to Kane Cornes will further disrupt their premiership hopes.

“I think it’s all a little bit too hard for them,” he said on SEN’s Whateley.

“Are they as desperate as some of the other teams who haven’t tasted that success?

“You might think it’s pretty harsh because they’ve just had a significant win against Melbourne at the MCG through some adversity and injuries, but just watching them there’s not the hunger that there has been.

“It appears to me that they’ve come back in their intensity and their will to do everything that it takes to sacrifice what you need to win the flag.”

Tim Watson was a little bit more positive for the Tigers but acknowledges that beating the Demons doesn’t necessarily mean you are back in form.

“They showed that they’re not dead and buried,” Watson said on SEN Breakfast.

“But I think the next month is going to be extremely hard for them on the road without those players.

“Cotchin has got to be a real concern too. That’s not the first time that he’s tweaked the hamstring in the last 18 months.

“They are on the same page. They play a certain style of football and they are all invested in that football. I don’t think they were at their best yesterday, I don’t think Damien Hardwick would come away from that and say, ‘Yeah ok, it’s all clicked, we’re back together again now’.

“They just played a team that shot themselves in the foot time and time again and gave them the opportunity to turn the ball over.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/07/06/are-the-challenges-in-front-of-richmond-now-insurmountable/