Author Topic: Dreamtime at the 'G 2006  (Read 2132 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Dreamtime at the 'G 2006
« on: May 02, 2006, 02:29:23 PM »

Dreamtime at the G 2006
12:38:49 PM Tue 2 May, 2006
richmondfc.com.au

The Essendon and Richmond Football Clubs, in conjunction with the AFL, will stage the second annual ‘Dreamtime at the G’ event, this Saturday night, May 6.

‘Dreamtime at the G’ aims to recognise and celebrate the role Indigenous players have had in the game, while also demonstrating how Australian Football can build bridges between cultures in the spirit of reconciliation.

Richmond Coach Terry Wallace said: “From the time Kevin Sheedy first mentioned ‘Dreamtime at the G’, I thought it was an outstanding concept. The obvious synergy with both clubs’ colours is a key and I just believe it’s a great opportunity to celebrate the achievements of all the Indigenous players who have represented the various league clubs over a long period of time.”

“For our players, in general, it’s another chance to play in a huge Blockbuster-type game, which I’m sure will continue to grow and develop over the years.”

Essendon Coach Kevin Sheedy said: “This game is a tribute to the role Australian Football has played in bringing people together. It has built a bridge that has enabled different cultures to reach out to one another and I sincerely hope football fans fill the MCG on what will be a very special night.”

“I also think ‘Dreamtime at the G’ will give non-Indigenous Australia the opportunity to reflect on some of the issues affecting our Indigenous community. We have come a long way, but there is a lot more work to be done.”

Former Essendon champion and founder of The Long Walk Michael Long said: “It will make a proud statement about the role Australian Football has played – and will continue to play – in building understanding and positive relationships between Indigenous and non-Indigenous Australians.”

Some of Australia’s finest entertainers, who believe in the message and event, are involved in the pre-match entertainment. Paul Kelly, Christine Anu, Peter Garrett, Renee Geyer and Kutcha Edwards will be centre stage on the MCG, with the entertainment commencing at 7.00pm. The match will start at 7.45pm, a delay of 35 minutes, to accommodate the spectacular entertainment.

Network TEN has supported the event with the pre-match entertainment to be televised and the broadcast extended by 30 minutes to incorporate the activities.

Just before the start of the game, respected Wurundjeri elder Joy Murphy will conduct a short ‘Welcome to Country’ ceremony with the captains of both sides to welcome the clubs to the traditional lands of the Wurundjeri people. The night will end with the presentation of the ‘Yiooken’ award to the player judged best on ground. Pronounced – yie-yoo-ken, it is a word from the Woiwurrung language of the Wurundjeri people which means ‘dreaming’.

The Long Walk 2006 launch will also help cement this as a very special night. The launch will take place at Birrurung Marr from 3pm on Saturday afternoon. In the lead-up to the match Michael Long will lead The Long Walk participants in a symbolic walk across William Barak Bridge to the MCG with 1000 of the walkers to head on to the famous turf as part of the pre-match entertainment.

‘Dreamtime at the G’ 2006 has been made possible through the support of the Department of Employment and Workplace Relations (DEWR). Through the sponsorship, the Department is looking to raise awareness of the practical assistance available under the Indigenous Employment Programme that aims to increase the levels of Indigenous employment, self-employment and business development.

DEWR have also been a significant supporter of AFL SportsReady’s Indigenous Employment Program. DEWR have made available (through AFL SportsReady) significant employment subsidies for Employers to take advantage of traineeships.

Although this is an Essendon home game at the MCG, the two clubs have a joint gate-share arrangement this season.

So, Tiger fans, make sure you get along to the mighty ‘G’ this Saturday night for what promises to be a truly special occasion.

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=262297

PuntRdRoar

Re: Dreamtime at the 'G 2006
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 02:40:04 PM »
Just a couple of days ago I asked if we had a gate receipt sharing agreement with Carlton & Essendon. Seems like with Essendon we do. So we must all go to this game make it clearly a top 3 game for the year behind Grand Final and Anzac Day.

Offline mjs

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 02:50:08 PM »
The Long Walk - .....................  :help

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 03:34:16 PM »
Just a couple of days ago I asked if we had a gate receipt sharing agreement with Carlton & Essendon. Seems like with Essendon we do. So we must all go to this game make it clearly a top 3 game for the year behind Grand Final and Anzac Day.

It might have been because where I was sitting but it felt as though the game on Friday night was overwhelming a pro-Tigers crowd out of the 54,000. After back to back wins I'd reckon the Tiger supporters will turn up in numbers. Fill the Ponsford end with Y&B.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
'G can be filled: Wallace (RFC site)
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 05:36:31 PM »
'G can be filled: Wallace
4:58:05 PM Tue 2 May, 2006
Jennifer Witham
Sportal for afl.com.au

Richmond coach Terry Wallace believes the club's annual 'Dreamtime at the G' clash against the Bombers can become a blockbuster match capable of filling the MCG to capacity.

Wallace said the match, which celebrates the role indigenous players have within the game - has the potential to become an enormous showcase given the message behind it.

"I think it can (fill the MCG). I think once people understand the meaning of it, the true meaning of what we're trying to achieve and I think the AFL have been fantastic with some of the work they have done," Wallace said during his weekly press conference on Tuesday.

"You have a look in general society, the indigenous society makes up two per cent of Australia yet it footy terms it's over 10 per cent."

Wallace spoke of the barriers present within society and his hope that the game will ultimately influence further understanding of the indigenous culture.

"I think we've broken down a heck of a lot of barriers, but talking society-wise there is a lot more than we need to break down," he said.

"But I think that this game can do so much for that and I think that bigger picture stuff won't be lost on people."

Wallace applauded the idea of the game - the brainchild of veteran Essendon coach Kevin Sheedy - and said the celebration paid due thanks to the excitement provided by some of the most enthralling players in the AFL.

"'Sheeds' idea was great," Wallace said.

"I think the ability to just be able to give some support and some thanks to the indigenous community and the footballers who have gone through to pave the way for what is such an exciting thing at the moment.

"If you're a Melbourne supporter, if you're not excited by indigenous players at the moment, I don't know who is, let alone our own, Essendon's and everyone else's.

"This is just recognition for all of those and I think it should be a fantastic night and we're looking forward to it."

Pre-match entertainment will include some of Australia's finest musicians who believe in the game's message such as Paul Kelly, Christine Anu, Peter Garrett, Renee Geyer and Kutcha Edwards, while Wurundjeri elder Joy Murphy will conduct a short 'Welcome to the Country' ceremony before the game.

The ceremony will involve the captains of both sides to welcome both clubs to the traditional lands of the Wurundjeri people, with the night set to end with the presentation of the 'Yiooken' award to the player judged best on ground.

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=262418

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2006, 11:34:52 AM »
This has to become a key game for our club in future....still looking for some movement on a theme game v Carlton.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2006, 03:14:29 PM »
This has to become a key game for our club in future....still looking for some movement on a theme game v Carlton.

Richmond vs Carlton should start off the AFL season every year at the 'G. Generate a good crowd before reality sinks in. Nice way to start the year with 4 points too lol.

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2006, 04:15:45 PM »
Great suggestion...R1 always vs Carlton ... :cheers

letsgetiton!

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2006, 05:16:30 PM »
well we tried it with the pies and worked ok  i guess

Offline Piping Shrike

• Premiership Captain
  • Nothing today
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2006, 02:20:23 PM »
No way, Round 1 is never as big as R4 onwards. Should play irrelevant teams like Freo or Collingwood in the first 3 or 4 then get onto the big stuff. Richmond's big games should be against Carl, Ess, Saints. Ignore Collingwood. If you develop big games against Collingwood then you will always lose out. Just ignore them.

Moi

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2006, 02:28:18 PM »
We have to play Ess, Carlton and Collingwood in the first couple of rounds so we get to play them twice in a season.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2006, 03:36:41 PM »
If we want to play those teams twice then the first meeting has to occur by R7 at the latest. We've got the Saints for Easter Monday so that knocks out one, the bombers dreamtime game is another and we can't play on the same weekend as the ANZAC clash as we want these blockbuster games for us to be the match of the round to generate the largest crowd and gate. I agree PS that the early rounds are quieter but Round 5 last week wasn't much better in terms of 54,000 at the 'G for a Richmond-Carlton game. IMO I can't see the Blues improving for a while so at least play them in the first game of the season when optimism of all supporters is at its highest and footy supporters in general are hungry to see some real footy. Score on both the gate and tv ratings as there'll be no Comm Games etc next year and onwards to distract people.   

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2006, 03:48:14 PM »
Playing the blues should also give us a good start to the season with membership getting a substantial boost after a first up win lol.

Offline Piping Shrike

• Premiership Captain
  • Nothing today
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2006, 05:26:02 PM »
If we want to play those teams twice then the first meeting has to occur by R7 at the latest.   

That's under the current arrangements. Personally I can't see why more flexibility couldn't be added i.e. as long as there's at least 6 or 7 weeks between return games then play anyone in the last 7 rounds that you played in the first 15, not just the first 7.  So if you play Geel in R10 you might play them again anytime from R18-R22.

It might help even up the draw and reduce the bias that sees Collingwood travel infrequently, i.e. just because Coll-Ess play Anzac Day doesn't mean they have to play again every year.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2006, 06:07:49 PM »
If we want to play those teams twice then the first meeting has to occur by R7 at the latest.   

That's under the current arrangements. Personally I can't see why more flexibility couldn't be added i.e. as long as there's at least 6 or 7 weeks between return games then play anyone in the last 7 rounds that you played in the first 15, not just the first 7.  So if you play Geel in R10 you might play them again anytime from R18-R22.

It might help even up the draw and reduce the bias that sees Collingwood travel infrequently, i.e. just because Coll-Ess play Anzac Day doesn't mean they have to play again every year.

PS, that involves too much commonsense for the AFL  ;).