Author Topic: Crowd numbers for 2021 season [merged]  (Read 4308 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Crowd numbers for 2021 season [merged]
« on: November 18, 2020, 07:06:43 PM »
Benny Gale on Ch 7 news tonight said he expects crowds to be restricted not just for round 1 but for the entire 2021 season which will result in another financial hit over the next 12 months to not only us as a club but to the entire AFL.

Go to 1:40 mark: https://twitter.com/7NewsMelbourne/status/1328970860447744000
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 03:13:20 AM by one-eyed »

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Crowds to be restricted for the entire 2021 season: Gale
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2020, 07:48:02 PM »
The MCC CEO last night on the news was talking about maximum crowds of 25-30k. They were testing out covid-safe seating yesterday with 200 people and just 8 people at a time in the food areas.

In pre-covid times our average home crowd was 60k with up to 85-90k for the Big-4 games. So even a 30k max is half our average.  So naively we're looking at half the usual gate receipts. Then there's the flow on effect on membership numbers if people can only attend half our home games at best (assuming some members-only rotation ticket system). 
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2020, 08:20:04 PM »
Boxing Day Test will have 25k each day

Tennis will be less than 50% as well but the big test there is on the outside courts. Big thing at the Aust Open compared to other Grand Slams is ground passes. Don't think they've worked out how they manage that TBH

As for the footy, I think the starting mark will be 25K with a moved to around 40k by the mid to late season

Everything hinges on a vaccine
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2020, 08:56:11 PM »
Wonder how they'll divide the games.

I've been a club member 20 years and would hope to attend half the games or so

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2020, 09:14:13 PM »
Wonder how they'll divide the games.

I've been a club member 20 years and would hope to attend half the games or so

Membership page on the website suggests it will be by ballot

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2020, 11:33:21 PM »
a ballot is not right. What happens if you are one of the unlucky ones that never gets their name out of the hat, yet requests a game every week.

everyone should get an opportunity to go, and if you dont want to it moves to the next person.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2020, 07:15:07 AM »
a ballot is not right. What happens if you are one of the unlucky ones that never gets their name out of the hat, yet requests a game every week.

everyone should get an opportunity to go, and if you dont want to it moves to the next person.

I think by ballot they mean everyone will get a chance

By That I mean if say you get into round 1, you won't go into the ballot for the next home game, that way everyone gets a chance

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2020, 07:32:13 AM »

By That I mean if say you get into round 1, you won't go into the ballot for the next home game, that way everyone gets a chance

That's better

All members should get a few games at least

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2020, 02:47:24 AM »
The AFL is planning for the season to resume at a normal time and with 50 per cent crowds in Victoria next year while full capacity crowds are being planned for every other state. They do not expect a return to hubs.

The recent South Australian outbreak was a reminder of the fragility of the situation around the country and how the competition will have to remain flexible going into next year.

Source: The Age

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2020, 11:10:01 AM »
The AFL is planning for the season to resume at a normal time and with 50 per cent crowds in Victoria next year while full capacity crowds are being planned for every other state. They do not expect a return to hubs.

The recent South Australian outbreak was a reminder of the fragility of the situation around the country and how the competition will have to remain flexible going into next year.

Source: The Age

Looks to me like we should have full crowds here and none in SA.

Fragile is a good word to describe the situation until a vaccine is viable.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2020, 03:18:11 PM »
Tennis Australia is talking about having every second row empty for the Oz Open. Currently planning for 25% capacity but their rep. said if the numbers stay zero in Vic then that may be bumped up to 50%.

The issue at the 'G is the MCC and AFL members areas restrict public and club member seating. Will the AFL open up the AFL members area to allow more supporters to attend?
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2020, 09:53:36 PM »

you would hope so, or they will lose plenty of members. We cant have a random ballot system.

As for the AFL, if anyone has a membership tell me what has the communication been like. From where i stand its been rubbish.

I have heard crickets from them, and only once received a reply when i cc'd gill in an email with the membership department. I give him credit for replying as not many would but as for his team, they have been useless. On top of all of that we received a invoice a few weeks for the 2021 season.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2020, 07:17:25 PM »
NSW stadiums and outdoor theatres will have a 100 per cent capacity from Monday.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-02/nsw-eases-raft-of-coronavirus-restrictions-from-monday/12941490

Follows Queensland who had already moved to 100% capacity for their home State of Origin game at Suncorp.

Potentially, if the numbers stay as they are and as all states align, we may be allowed a large crowd for round 1 or our first home game (if it's round 2).  The only difference and issue is the MCG is much larger than any NSW or Qld stadium.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2020, 02:42:07 PM »
Melbourne Cricket Club CEO Stuart Fox has left the door ajar for the possibility of a 100 per cent full MCG when footy returns.

Victoria recently recorded its 28th consecutive day with no new cases of COVID-19, which is widely considered the benchmark for eliminating the virus from the community.

As restrictions begin to ease, hopes for expanded crowd capacity in 2021 have grown. Although Fox was wary to commit to a concrete figure, he noted that on the current trajectory a full crowd could be possible.

“I’m very, very confident that if we can keep progressing forward without too many more outbreaks, I think it sets us up for a stronger return come March or April,” he said.

“Hopefully by then we’re talking 75 per cent or who knows even a 100 per cent return of crowds. Who knows, lets keep our fingers crossed that we can start in a really positive manner because it has been pretty dormant in Victoria for a long time in terms of the AFL landscape.”

Source: Foxsports

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2020, 04:04:03 PM »
28 days? Was this interview a week ago?
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.