Author Topic: 2021 Draft thread  (Read 123829 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: 2021 Draft thread
« Reply #570 on: November 16, 2021, 05:21:30 PM »
HeraldSun's phantom draft has us getting:

9. Ben Hobbs
17. Josh Sinn
28. Zac Taylor
29. Rhett Bazzo
30. Brady Hough

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/draft/afl-mock-draft-2021-how-every-pick-from-every-round-could-fall/news-story/d0092b24244f7917011387d102f8a2db

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #571 on: November 16, 2021, 05:26:30 PM »
Callum Twomey said Josh Rachele has spoken to Richmond recently.

Giants at pick 2, Adelaide (very keen), Hawthorn, Richmond & Freo have interest in him.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/687821/listen-the-other-draft-jet-waiting-to-be-picked-a-lesson-for-hugh

----------------------------------------------------------

AFL Academy coach Tarkyn Lockyer has singled out two Vic Country prospects as standouts from Monday’s training session, which brought the best Victorian talent together for the first time in months.

“A couple of guys like Judson Clarke and Kai Lohmann in particular were really impressive (during Monday’s session).”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/11/16/the-two-draft-prospects-that-shone-in-afl-academy-training-session/

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #572 on: November 16, 2021, 08:42:29 PM »
HeraldSun's phantom draft has us getting:

9. Ben Hobbs
17. Josh Sinn
28. Zac Taylor
29. Rhett Bazzo
30. Brady Hough

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/draft/afl-mock-draft-2021-how-every-pick-from-every-round-could-fall/news-story/d0092b24244f7917011387d102f8a2db

Could live with that haul.

Online pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #573 on: November 16, 2021, 09:09:44 PM »
Mentioned this twice but tigers very keen on Kai Lohman. 

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #574 on: November 17, 2021, 01:22:33 AM »
Here's the HeraldSun mock draft in selection order:

1. North - Horne-Francis
2. Coll - Daicos (Bid Matched)
3. Dogs- Darcy (Bid Matched)
4. GWS - Rachele
5. GC - Gibcus
6. Adel - Callaghan
7. Haw - Ward
8. Freo - Amiss
9. Rich - Hobbs
10. Freo - Erasmus
11. StK - Andrew
12. WC - Wanganeen-Millera
13. Rich - Josh Sinn .................. (they had us trading pick 17 & 30 to Essendon)
14. Port - Johnson
15. GWS - Van Rooyen
16. Bris - Goater
17. Ess - Chesser
18. Syd - Wilmot
19. Melb - Draper
20. Bris - Sonsie
21. Geel - Brown .......... (traded pick 32 & 34 to Freo)
22. GWS - Fayhe ......... (matched North's bid).
23. North -  Aleer
24. Haw - Butler
25. Geel - Knivett

In the end they had us getting: Hobbs, Sinn, Taylor, Bazzo & Hough.

Some info on Hough:

Brady Hough​

Height: 189cm
Weight: 74kg
D.O.B: 05-03-2003
Leagues: WAFL League, WAFL Colts

POSITION: Medium Utility (OUTSIDE MIDFIELDER, MEDIUM FORWARD)

SNAPSHOT: "A versatile prospect who makes poised decisions with ball in hand, Hough is one of this year's biggest draft bolters."

Brady Hough has come a long way in the space of a year, rapidly rising to become Peel Thunder's top prospect and a surprise bolter among the West Australian hopefuls. Having shown promising form at Colts level, the 18-year-old earned state Under 19 selection and even cracked the League grade in his final WAFL outing for the year, taking to the level like a duck to water with 22 disposals, nine marks and a goal. With all he has achieved, it is easy to forget that 2021 marked Hough's maiden Colts campaign, for which he took out Peel's best first year player award. With the versatility to play on flanks at both ends of the ground or on either side of midfield, Hough catches the eye with his class on the ball and work rate off it.

STRENGTHS:

+ Versatility
+ Work rate
+ Disposal
+ Poise
+ Upside

IMPROVEMENTS:

- Exposure
- Midfield craft

One who was been employed on each line in 2021, Hough has done all he can to prove his worth no matter the task. His running capacity makes him a viable option on the wing, but he has the size and poise to play inside, while also showing great signs in roles at either end of the ground. That kind of versatility and the ability to adapt quickly to each situation is a real strength for Hough, and one which will play to his advantage not only at the draft table, but also in terms of selection.

Hough does a lot of his best work moving forward, showcasing great decision making and execution of his skills. By foot, he can hurt the opposition with carving kicks inside 50 and often hits his intended targets. His ability to create from further afield is somewhat credit to his composure, which can also be viewed in how he navigates tight spots. Hough is poised and moves well laterally for a player of his size (189cm), working his way to space and bustling through tackles if need be. In an added bonus, he also hits the scoreboard himself.

With the combination of sound decision making, movement, and solid running capacity, Hough is an effective outside player. He spent a good amount of time rotating through the centre bounces for Peel, but can continue to work on his inside craft to make full use of his clean handling and tall frame around the contest upon hitting the next level. Hough has all the tools to become a really effective utility in time, and his rate of development points to high upside.

Speaking of, Hough's improvement over the course of a year has been even more outstanding given his lack of exposure to such high levels. Hailing from the south-west of WA, Hough's first year of Colts footy was a massive one and rightly earned him a League dig. He fared well in his lone outing, and was also impactful at state Under 19s level, so continued exposure against the best competition possible is clearly serving him well, advancing his game at a good tick.

DRAFT PROJECTION: 35-60

SUMMARY:

One of the big improvers among his draft class, Hough has shot right into draft contention and has plenty of desirable traits which recruiters love. His exposed form over a full season of football and exposure to higher levels of competition should work in his favour, as well as his versatility as a developable type of talent. He looks most likely to attract interest in the third round, but could sneak a little higher up the order given his range of pros.

https://central.rookieme.com/afl/player/brady-hough/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #575 on: November 17, 2021, 01:25:03 AM »
The @freodockers are ‘enamored’ with Finn Callaghan. Have met with the gun midfielder on multiple occasions - including one with Nat Fyfe.

They’d almost certainly have to move up in the draft to get him.

Giants, Suns, Crows, Hawks currently picking ahead of Freo.

@7NewsPerth

https://twitter.com/FootyRhino/status/1460510355063410688

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #576 on: November 17, 2021, 01:26:24 AM »
Hobbs is a Tiger supporter and loves Cotch  :thumbsup.

Hobbs to it: Ben is a Rebel with a cause

By Owen Leonard
The Age
November 17, 2021

Whether it’s in football, tennis, golf, basketball, or even a game of cards, Ben Hobbs just wants to win.

The draft prospect out of the Greater Western Victoria Rebels is a competitive beast - an inside midfielder who tackles with intent, wins plenty of his own ball, and drifts forward to kick goals.

But his toughest competition yet did not come at a stoppage, nor on the fairway. It would not come in a fiery game of Texas hold ’em, either.

To even establish himself as the likely top-10 pick he has become, Hobbs had to win a battle with his own body first. The 18-year-old recalls drawing on his trademark competitiveness to overcome an ankle injury that threatened to derail his season back in April.

“It was frustrating,” Hobbs told The Age. “The first few days with it I really struggled, but as soon as I realised this would happen at AFL level, it just turned my mindset into getting back and playing good footy for the chance to get drafted. It was a bit of survival mode; I went pretty hard on getting back.”

Surgery soon followed, sidelining the hard-nosed prospect for nine weeks. Hobbs, however, found the silver lining in his lengthy lay-off.

“It set me back a bit, but I learnt a fair bit throughout that period on how my body handles an injury like that,” he said. “How surgery was, and how to get back and perform, so it was actually a blessing in disguise, I think.”

Hobbs’ eventual return to football was emphatic. He combined 34 touches with two goals and nine tackles against the Murray Bushrangers, and racked up 32-plus possessions in two of his next three contests before Victoria’s season-ending lockdown struck.

Hobbs’ undeniable fervour for football was first lit in Horsham, a town in western Victoria with a healthy connection to the sport. Before Hobbs, it had produced the likes of Craig and Brad Sholl, Adam Goodes, and Jake Lloyd.

The midfielder cracked state selection for the first time as an under-12.

“That really made me understand that I wasn’t too bad,” he said, modestly. “I wanted to keep making these representative teams. It moved on to [under] 15s, and at that stage, I wanted to be the best player on that team. It developed from there.”

Hobbs then made the move to Clarendon College in Ballarat, both in pursuit of his sporting goals, and in a desire to push himself academically. He remembers the boarding experience as “tough early on”, but he remains grateful for the opportunity.

“I’ve got a lot out of it and really matured as a person,” he said.

Clearly, Hobbs’ maturity is of note. He has already been earmarked as a future leader at the top level and captained Vic Country in games against the state’s Metro team earlier in the year.

“That was huge for me, I’m really proud of that,” he said. “Sadly, we didn’t actually get a carnival, but I got two games to be the captain, and leadership is something I feel strongly about. I see myself as a future leader at the next level.”

In a football sense, Hobbs’ leadership style has been inspired by Chris Judd and Richmond premiership skipper Trent Cotchin, of whom he is a particularly avid fan.

“I’ve listened to a few podcasts with Chris Judd and I think he was a fantastic leader,” Hobbs said. “I think Trent Cotchin has been an unreal leader as well, and I go for the Tigers so I’ve really watched ‘Cotch’ and I think he’s done huge things and really turned the club around.”

It comes as no surprise to learn that Hobbs focuses on leading by example, but he also places a firm emphasis on improving those around him.

“I like to get around my teammates and push them to be the best as well,” he said. “I can definitely be pretty vocal, and I think I know the game pretty well.”

But above all, this competitive beast leads to win.

“I like to win and compete. I don’t think twice about it. It’s been in my nature and my personality all the way through,” he said.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/hobbs-to-it-ben-is-a-rebel-with-a-cause-20211116-p599e9.html

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #577 on: November 17, 2021, 08:43:29 AM »
I want this kid with our first pick. Sold

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #578 on: November 17, 2021, 02:29:50 PM »
10 key questions ahead of the AFL Draft: Roos, Tigers ready for fruitful haul

Chris Doerre
ESPN
17 November 2021

How deep does this draft go?

This draft is one of the more even in recent years, and with its evenness comes solid depth. In most drafts, there tends to be a solid top-30 pool of prospects.

This year, there is an even group after those first few selections that carries all the way through to 40. Given this, picks inside the second round could place clubs in something of a value sweet spot in this draft, with little separating players expected to feature first round from those likely to be selected in the second round. Aside from the junior talent -- and despite the preseason supplemental selection period and midseason drafts reducing the pool of mature age talents available at the end of the year -- there still remain several capable mature-agers, only improving the depth of this draft.

Which clubs hold the strongest draft hand?

Holding picks 1, 20, 42 and 47 inside the top 50, there wouldn't be a club in the competition that wouldn't switch their draft hand with North Melbourne's. Richmond also have one of the most appealing draft hands, holding picks 7, 15, 26, 27 and 28 inside the top 30. With their concentration of picks inside the top 30, with good talent ID, Richmond should be able to add several quality young pieces this year.

Jason Horne-Francis is expected to be selected first, but who are some of those next names?

Aside from father-sons Nick Daicos and Sam Darcy who are sure to attract bids soon after Horne-Francis is selected, Jye Amiss, Mac Andrew, Finn Callaghan, Neil Erasmus, Josh Gibcus, Josh Goater, Ben Hobbs, Matthew Johnson, Josh Rachele, Josh Sinn, Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera and Josh Ward are expected to be among the next players chosen.

Who increased their draft stocks during the Under-19 Championships?

Western Australian midfield trio Angus Sheldrick, Matthew Johnson and Kade Dittmar were collectively the reason for their side going undefeated and convincingly winning the midfield battle in their matches against South Australia.

Johnson is set to feature inside the first round and is a part of the top 10 conversation, while Sheldrick likely features in the second or third round and Dittmar looks a likely later choice. Playing his best football for the year in defence, Jacob Van Rooyen, who has mostly played as a key forward, looked even better in defence and should feature late first or early second round on the back of his strong performances. South Australia's best during the Under-19 Championships, Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera solidified his position as a first-round choice and enters the mix on the back of his classy play. Emerging as one of the best rebounding defenders in this year's draft, Alastair Lord's dynamic line breaking run and ball use by foot stood out and place him in the second-round conversation. Starring for the Allies during their game against South Australia, Ronald Fejo Jr with his speed, silky skills and impact per possession increased the likelihood he gets picked on the back of his freakish play.

Whose draft stocks dipped during the Under-19 Championships?

One of the big names heading into the Under-19 Championships, Matthew Roberts was unable to exert his influence during the champs and was soundly beaten by the Western Australian midfielders. Given this, he is now viewed as likely to land somewhere in the second or third round.

Despite a dominant year in the WAFL Colts as a ball winning midfielder, Joshua Browne had limited midfield opportunity available due to others being prioritised. His draft stocks have taken a hit and Browne is now seen as a possible late draft consideration after being more highly touted earlier in the season.

Who are the most likely mature age recruits?

Leek Alleer, Charlie Dean, Noah Pegoraro, Ronald Fejo Jr, Casey Voss, Bailey Rogers, Greg Clark and Felix Flockhart are among the mature age prospects most likely to get selected in this year's draft. Alleer, Dean and Pegoraro have impressed and enjoyed breakout seasons as key defenders in the SANFL, VFL and WAFL respectively. On the outside, Fejo has caught the eye of draft watchers with his elite highlight reel while Voss, the son of Carlton coach Michael, enjoyed a breakout season in defence. Rogers emerged as the premier midfielder and forward outside the AFL while fellow Western Australian midfielder Greg Clark is another midfielder to have a strong season and continue his progression. As a ruckman, Flockhart's mobility has caught the eye and could see him join an AFL list in 2022.

How does the 2022 draft compare to this year's draft and should my club trade into it?

The major advantages of the 2022 draft, as it appears at this stage, is it is likely to be a stronger top 20, giving clubs a greater opportunity up the top end of the draft to add high quality key forwards. It is unlikely however that the 20-40 range in 2022 will prove as deep or possess as many quality midfielders or defenders as can be found in this year's pool, which is the most defining strength of this year's draft.

https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/32646832/afl-2021-draft-chris-doerre-10-questions-ahead-afl-draft

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #579 on: November 17, 2021, 02:34:49 PM »
The AFL website thinking we'll have interest in Toby Conway.

However, such has been Conway's impressive season with Geelong Falcons and Vic Country, it's unlikely the business conducted during the AFL Trade Period will change the way they evaluate the 205cm youngster.

Richmond lost Callum Coleman-Jones and Mabior Chol during the Trade Period and could look to replace the pair with one of its five picks inside the top-30.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/687993/why-the-ruck-merry-go-round-put-this-draft-prospect-in-a-spin

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #580 on: November 17, 2021, 03:03:46 PM »
Based on what Twomey said today in his podcast, we're linked to Amiss at pick 9 and Sonsie at pick 17.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Summary of Nat Edwards & Callum Twomey's latest draft rumour podcast:

* Dogs hoping a bid for Darcy doesn't come at pick 2 or 3 and he slides a couple of spots. They will then trade away pick 23 and trade back into the draft.

* Given GWS rejected moves from the Suns, Crows, Hawks & Tigers to trade for pick 2 then it's likely the Giants want Finn Callaghan.

* If the Suns miss out on Callaghan then Andrew comes in around that mark. Gibcus is the other one but the talk is around Andrew.

* Crows keen on Rachele. Courted by Richmond who have spoken to him recently. So he won't drop far if not snapped up by the Crows. He's the favourite to go to Adelaide. Crows also linked to Sinn & Wanganeen-Milera.

* Edwards said Ward and Johnson linked to the Hawks. Twomey says the Johnson talk to the Hawks is real. 193cm mid so he's a different type of midfielder. Ward is the "safer" choice. Hobbs would also be available. 

* Freo's pick 8 (after bids) is the tactical pick given Richmond is squashed between Freo's top 10 picks. Does Gibcus get to the Dockers? Amiss? Do they go for Hobbs?

* Richmond has shown some interest in Amiss. Hobbs has be linked hard to Richmond for a long time but they've done hardly anything with him. The Tigers haven't spoken to Hobbs since April. So even if Hobbs is available will they take him?

* Freo's pick 10 - Johnson in the mix. Erasmus and Sinn also linked to the Dockers here.

* Slider? Gibcus is he doesn't go early could slide to St Kilda. Not really what they need but too good to pass up.

* Bolter? Wanganeen-Milera. Do West Coast take NWM or Erasmus if both available? Do Essendon take NWM or Sinn if both available?

* Butler won't end up at St Kilda with his brother unless they trade back. An early 20s pick.

* Wilmot, Chesser, Brown in the 15-25 mark.

* Sonsie linked to Richmond at pick 17.

* St Kilda's NGA Owens is expected (75%) to fall outside top 20 so they can bid for him. Giants and also Swans interested.

* Shedrick won't suit every club as clubs already have his type. Expected to go sometime in the second round.

* Intrigue over whether Freo who have the first pick of the second night use it or trade back given they'll know by the second night who is still available.

* Easy to get to 35 names picked. After that there's 50 names that may or may not be picked up. Expecting around the same number of picks used as last year (~60). Low number of rookie selections too. Only about 75 new faces across both drafts. Clubs will hold off until the supplementary and midseason drafts.

* Monday is when Twomey releases his final phantom draft.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/688126/listen-all-the-latest-whispers-ahead-of-the-draft

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #581 on: November 17, 2021, 04:57:05 PM »
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #582 on: November 17, 2021, 06:17:06 PM »
Interview with Thursty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwIJCEx_Nj8&t=214s

:shh
How significant is this year's draft with Richmond's five early picks (7, 15, 26, 27, 28)?

"It's a great opportunity to regenerate, while we're hoping to stay really competitive near the top of the ladder. You look through history and teams who have been able to nail those drafts and get some good young kids to develop while there are good players around them, which holds the club in good stead. Five inside-30s is really exciting and we feel like we've got some good guys identified."

Can you give us an insight into the work that has been done within the recruiting team in preparation for the draft?

"We've watched these kids from U15s and U16s, so although they haven't played a lot of footy over the last 18 months, we've got enough there and (the Victorian boys) did still play eight or nine games this year. (So we have) a pretty good handle on where they're at and combined with a lot of the background stuff that I've touched on, we feel like we're in a good spot."

What did you get out of the Victorian boys' fitness assessment at Trevor Barker Oval on the weekend, and do you feel you have enough to assess where they rank?

"We probably didn't change any thoughts, but it was really good to see them out there and interacting with one another. It was pretty important for them to get out there and enjoy themselves, they've had a tough year interrupted with their stuff, so it was good to see them. They're all in pretty good shape which was good to see. So, you'll be bringing guys in who aren't too far behind fitness-wise."

What characteristics are you looking for in your selections?

"It's a combination of things. It's their athleticism, it's their football talent, and it's also their character. You weigh up all these things and make a final decision and it might not be right, but that's the decision we'll come to. It's an exciting time of the year."

Full article: https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1031499/draft-a-great-opportunity-to-regenerate-says-thursfield

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #583 on: November 17, 2021, 06:25:15 PM »
A recruiter’s notes on the AFL draft crop of 2021

By Matt Rendell
The Age
November 17, 2021

I wrote a report on the 2021 draft prospects for Collingwood before I left the club back in 2019. Of course, the boys were mostly 16-year-olds then; it was pre-pandemic and a lot can change in two years. But for recruiters, there is still much to be gained from assessing the players two years out from the AFL draft.

I rated the under-16 championships in 2019 as excellent, and by association I loved the look of this year’s draft class, albeit two years out. The Vic Metro team was outstanding and were pushed all the way by an extremely competitive Vic Country team. South Australia and Western Australia were also good, but a distance behind, while NSW, Queensland, Northern Territory and Tasmania were a bit light on, although there were some standouts. This has been confirmed by the lack of academy players attached to the northern clubs this year.

Looking back at my notes, here’s how I assessed the top six at the time.

Josh Sinn
Looked outstanding running off half-back/wing with a raking left foot that travels over lines. Excellent speed/endurance and loves to take the game on. Played one game on-ball in the rain and on a heavy ground that you’d think wouldn’t suit, but he was very competitive. Can mark the ball as well, so playing him as a hybrid forward-mid is not out of the question. The only knock I had on his game was his short kick; he could miss to the right, but that is easily fixed. Think Josh Kelly from GWS, but probably has more dash.

Nick Daicos
Can play any position on the field except ruck. Has great composure, calmness with a sense of superiority – in a nice way, he is no big head. Highly skilled on both sides of his body and his decision-making is elite. Always has time and space. Very good aerially and has plenty of tricks in his kitbag. Good luck tackling him. Will be targeted physically, but it won’t worry him. Never seen a young player find the ball so easily and get from contest to contest with such ease.

Jason Horne-Francis
Super competitive, talented, highly skilled, influential, marks the ball very well. High-end decision-making, brilliant game sense and did I mention he’s tough, too? Plays with an intensity rarely seen. Athletically outstanding, can play forward, midfield or back. Has great composure, never gets flustered and I expect him to play senior SANFL footy for the next two years. Could be pick one or five, such is the top-end talent in this draft.

Tyler Sonsie
Played mainly as a high half-forward but will be a midfield-forward at AFL level. Great skills on both sides of his body and decision-making is excellent. Work rate and competitiveness I really liked. But his influence on games was elite to go with being a natural goal kicker.

Campbell Chesser
A big-bodied midfielder who is highly skilled and super competitive. Has genuine speed out of the contest, but I would like to see him run and carry more often. Very good aerially, which makes him a hybrid forward-midfielder as well. Extremely influential on games and has a strong work ethic.

Joshua Rachele
He’s the best No.6 in the draft you will ever see, and could easily be higher. Another hybrid forward-midfielder but is an outstanding mark for a 180-centimetre player. Another with huge influence on games and super decision-making. Plays tough and what I like about him most is he kicks goals in all manner of ways, making him an extremely difficult match-up for the opposition.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/a-recruiter-s-notes-on-the-afl-draft-crop-of-2021-two-years-out-20211117-p599m6.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #584 on: November 17, 2021, 06:35:21 PM »
Fox Footy -  each club's preferred players:

1. North - Horne-Francis
2. Coll - Daicos
3. Dogs -  Darcy
4. GWS - Callaghan
5. GC -  Andrew
6. Adel -  Rachele
7. Haw - Ward
8. Freo - Amiss
9. Rich - Hobbs
10. Freo - Gibcus
11. StK - Sinn
12. WC - Erasmus

---------------------------

State of play: How three clubs hold the key to unlocking crucial AFL draft dominoes

Ben Waterworth
Fox Sports
November 17th, 2021 3:23 pm

Rival clubs are keeping close tabs on the Giants, Suns and Crows, with the three teams’ early first-round choices to dictate how the start of next week’s AFL national draft pans out.

The Giants have held on to Pick 2, despite ample interest from rival clubs in that selection since the end of the trade period. They’re expected to place a bid on Daicos and, likely, Bulldogs father-son prospect Sam Darcy, who is the best key-position player in this year’s draft class.

Both the Magpies and Bulldogs will have enough draft points accumulated to match the respective bids, ensuring Daicos will join Collingwood and Darcy will join the Bulldogs.

This is when it’ll get interesting.

Gold Coast, Adelaide, Hawthorn and Richmond have all shown strong interest in gun Sandringham Dragons midfielder Finn Callaghan, who has drawn comparisons to Bulldogs superstar Marcus Bontempelli. Foxfooty.com.au understands both the Suns and Crows made inquiries about trading up to Pick 2 in the hope of nabbing Callaghan, only for the offers to be rejected.

Despite suggestions the Giants were open to trading the selection, they’re now poised to take Pick 2 to the draft – unless they receive a godfather, too-good-to-refuse offer from a rival team on draft night.

Foxfooty.com.au understands the Giants have narrowed down their call at Pick 2 (which should become Pick 4 after bids) to four players: Callaghan, Dandenong Stingrays tall Mac Andrew, GWV Rebels defender Josh Gibcus and Murray Bushrangers small forward Josh Rachele.

The Giants for weeks have been heavily linked to Andrew, but it’s understood they’ve warmed to Callaghan, who coach Leon Cameron is a big fan of.

Should the Giants snare Callaghan, it would be a blow for the Suns, who’ve kept very close tabs on the on-baller.

Gold Coast would then face a tough conundrum. It could change tack and turn to a taller prospect like Andrew or Gibcus – the latter being the top intercept defender of this year’s draft class and a player that could fill a chasm on the Suns’ list – with their pick.

Foxfooty.com.au understands the Suns are leaning towards taking Andrew – a raw yet exciting 200cm prospect that can play across all thirds of the ground and would provide the Suns with ruck and key-position depth.

The Suns, though, could turn to a midfielder, particularly after they lost Hugh Greenwood – their second-best on-baller in 2021, per the AFL Player Ratings – to North Melbourne earlier this week. They’ve been linked to GWV Rebels’ Ben Hobbs – the best pure inside midfielder in the draft – while Josh Ward would also be in the mix.

Adelaide has the next selection. Whether that selection is legitimately up for grabs remains a talking point among recruiters.

As Foxfooty.com.au reported last month, the Crows have an interest in Rachele – an uber-talented forward-midfielder blessed with goalkicking nous, strong hands overhead, x-factor and an unwavering belief in his own ability. If Adelaide retains its first pick, it’s expected to take Rachele.

But rival teams believe the Crows would be prepared and willing to trade down the order if it meant they could still get their hands on their preferred prospect.

Multiple sources told Foxfooty.com.au the Crows have interest in Sandringham Dragons’ Josh Sinn and Glenelg’s Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera – two players seen as more likely to be taken towards the middle of the first round. So could the Crows trade picks with a rival club in the top 10 then settle on a player that would give them outside run?

Wanganeen-Milera, one of the best kicks in the draft, would address the Crows’ kicking issues – they had the worst kick rating and the third-worst kicking efficiency in the AFL this year – while Sinn would provide genuine dash off half-back or the wing.

Hawthorn holds Pick 5 – a selection that will turn into Pick 7 after the Darcy and Daicos bids. The Hawks, like many clubs, are still keen on Callaghan and could make a late play for the Giants’ first pick, but appear set to take their natural first-round selection to the draft.

The Hawks have been strongly linked to Northern Knights midfielder Ward – a Hawthorn supporter whose great grandfather Alex Lee played 31 games for the club between 1933 and 1935. He’s an on-baller with a terrific workrate that racks up a lot of the footy, both in contested and uncontested situations.

Rival clubs believe the Hawks have also been keeping tabs on outside ball-winners Wanganeen-Milera and WA’s smooth-moving on-baller Matthew Johnson.

After the Hawks, Fremantle enters the draft armed with Picks 6 and 8. And while the Dockers have publicly stressed they’re happy to target interstate talent, there are several gun WA-based prospects that would be appropriate to select with the selections the club has.

Foxfooty.com.au understands the Dockers have had a strong, long-time interest in East Perth’s Jye Amiss – the No. 1 pure key forward prospect in this year’s draft class that booted 51 goals in the WAFL colts in 2021. Ideally, the Dockers would take Amiss with their second top-10 pick, but the Tigers (Pick 7) also have interest in the 196cm prospect and could force the Dockers to pick him earlier – if they want him that desperately.

Richmond has been linked to Hobbs for many weeks, with reports suggesting the Tigers see the Rebels prospect as a replacement for Trent Cotchin. While the Suns and Crows have some interest, there’s a chance Hobbs, who averaged 29.2 disposals and 6.2 clearances in the NAB League this season, slips to the Tigers without them having to make a trade. But if any of Rachele, Gibcus or Ward were still on the board, they’d face a tough choice.

The Dockers have also been linked to Rachele and Gibcus. Rachele could help address the Dockers’ pressure issue while being that maximum impact player – in that most of his disposals lead to scores for his team – while Gibcus could bring stability to a Dockers tall defensive group that has struggled for continuity and consistency over recent years.

If he’s still on the board, Subiaco’s Johnson looms as a genuine contender to be drafted by the Dockers with their second selection. The composed on-baller had a strong finish to his 2021 campaign, starring in the WAFL reserves, winning WA best on ground honours in an Under 19 challenge game against SA at Optus Stadium on AFL Grand Final day then recording top-10 results in three draft combine tests.

St Kilda then enters the draft at Pick 9 – and if it’s case of addressing list needs, the Saints should be after some polish in the midfield to improve their clearance efficiency, or a key defender following the departures of Jake Carlisle, Oscar Clavarino, James Frawley and Dylan Roberton.

Foxfooty.com.au understands the Saints are strongly considering Sinn, whose ability to break lines with speed and long kicking has captured the attention of recruiters throughout the year. But if Gibcus slipped through, the Saints would likely pounce on him, while the outside class of Wanganeen-Milera and Johnson would be hard for them to ignore. Exciting midfielder-defender Josh Goater would also come into calculations.

Goater’s electric speed, high vertical leap and WA-based family connections would also appeal to West Coast, which rounds out the top 10 – which will become the top 12 – of the draft.

But Foxfooty.com.au understands the Eagles are big fans of local Subiaco midfielder-forward Neil Erasmus. An exciting player blessed with footy smarts and strong overhead marking, Erasmus was the second-highest ranked player in the WAFL colts this year, according to Champion Data, and ranked among the top five players for disposals, contested possessions, intercept marks, clearances and score assists.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/draft/afl-draft-2021-phantom-draft-top-10-predictions-state-of-play-trades-most-important-picks-prospects-finn-callaghan-mac-andrew/news-story/0fb12ec9fddf754a5f696fad9cb4ba71