Author Topic: Tigers Hawks Set to Share Draft Spoils!  (Read 3495 times)

PuntRdRoar

Tigers Hawks Set to Share Draft Spoils!
« on: June 20, 2004, 05:41:25 PM »
Well its looking more likely now that we will have 2 early picks in the national draft unless we do something stupid and win 2 games. The Hawks are certainties i reckon for priorities, so to that end, Ive put on my investigators hat and found out that the tigers and the hawks wont be particularly perturbed by who finishes last and who finishes second last- you may ask why...well my information and Ive known this for a while is that the tigers are hot to gain the services of Lance Franklin and Fabian De Luca. Both are considered top 5 picks and only a poor carnival will drop there ranking...as for the hawks...ive been told they like Brett Deledio and Jaryd Roughead (I also like Roughead as a player- but we need a young ruckman- hence the decision to go for De Luca). So even if the Hawks finish bottom ... the selection order will go:

Hawthorn- Brett Deledio
Richmond- Lance Franklin
Hawthorn- Jaryd Roughead
Richmond- Fabian Deluca

All this may stuff up for us however if we win 2 more games. If we lose our priority pick, the hawks will go for Deledio and Franklin leaving us with either De Luca or Roughead. As for me...any 2 of Franklin Roughead or DeLuca will be fine!

Ox

Re: Tigers Hawks Set to Share Draft Spoils!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2004, 06:06:20 PM »
Cheers TR.

Offline wrennyboy

• Future Richmond star
  • Captain Coughlan
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2004, 08:58:45 PM »
Thats if we finish last. I really dont think that we need another midfielder especially with the likes of pettifer, hyde and gilmour all developing nicely.

Deluca would be a great pickup i think he is a mobile ruckman like his brother but taller and younger and i think a bit better up forawrd.

What is this about lance franklin. I heard he is a KP forawrd but yeh. Hopefulyl can play back.

Would these 2 be ready for AFL next year?
wrenny

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2004, 12:04:02 AM »
Thats if we finish last. I really dont think that we need another midfielder especially with the likes of pettifer, hyde and gilmour all developing nicely.

Geeez....if we are gonna rely on Hyde and Pettifer then we'll be in big trouble.

I think we need a tough, quick midfielder as a first pick.  A cousins/riciutto type.  Our midfield is woeful.  A great midfield can make average forwards and backs look good, however great forwards and backs can't make an average midfield look good.  This is becasue it all starts in the middle and the ball is directed mostly through the middle.  Get your midfield right first. 
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2004, 12:34:26 AM »
I agree with Harry. Footy games after won and lost in the midfield and our midfield is one of the worse in the league. We get smashed in the contests and clearances every week.

In terms of the draft, I just hope we draft based on rule of thumb of picking the best kid available at the time.   
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline wrennyboy

• Future Richmond star
  • Captain Coughlan
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2004, 12:14:26 PM »
Well if we finish last there is definatly a kid coming through that is miles ahead of what cooney was last year. He is touted as #1 already and his name is brett deledio he is a tough at it midfielder with excellent skills.

He plays against the older men and is already dominating.

here are some stats and info bout him.

I did some research and the eagles and st kilda recruiting managers named him as at least top 3. it said he was a well balanced, dual sided skillful, all round player. he is 187cm and can play anywhere. He would be like a pavlich or bruce in the AFL the tallish type of midfielders.

He is a really skillfull player and always gets tagged which is very unusual for this type of cup.

I really think that if we get Travis cloke it will help us out immensly. He is a Kp-ruckman that would be competing for a go at collingwood and we need him at richmond to be part of our future. He is a huge kid that can play anywhere that already has a matured body.

And with our 2nd priority pick we should go with lance franklin or jarryd roughhead. I would prefer roughhead as he at this stage is a better prospect and has a better body shape.

'What you guys think we should get with our 2 priority picks. I think a midfielder and a KP player and then with our 2nd round pick get a ruckman then 3rd father son travis cloke.
wrenny

Offline Puntroadroar

• Premiership Captain
  • Our Very own Top Gun
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2004, 12:48:41 PM »
definately the midfielders are a top priority, look at any top successful side and their midfield has atleast 6 good solid players, we have about 3 top midfielders.

I'm hoping for a midfielder like Haselby, he is all class. Lets hope we get that first pick wrenny, that kid sounds a goer....... but i wouldnt be holding your breath for cloke he is pie bound.

by the sounds of things we wont need cloke with the quality of this years draft *fingers crossed*
There's no I in team, but there is 5 i's in Individual Brilliance.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2004, 01:02:39 PM »
I reckon we defintely need a big key position backman. Are there any 18 y.o.'s that fit that criteria? that would be my first pick then an "in and under" mid-fielder or two or three ..... maybe 4  ;D

Down back we look small, not so much in height but in strength.

Hall's improved but on the biiger body opposition he gets brushed aside to easily. Gaspar's pace seems to have all but disappeared and like Hall he seems to get brushed off the ball to easily as well. Chubba Kellaway is probably the strongest of the bunch but his lack of height goes against him at times.

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2004, 01:38:08 PM »
Melbourne is a great example of not really needing dominant big men to be a good side.  Besides Neitz, none of their KPP players are dominating.  Nicholson is a lug but he is made to look good by the midfield.  If you have enough well rounded running skillful on-ballers you will be a good side.  Melbourne have Yze, Green, Thompson, Bruce, Johnston, McDonald, Whelan, Brown, Godfrey, Henneman, Armstrong, McClean, Davey etc.  that can rotate through the middle and have an impact.  They are all good running players.

RFC over the years has shown that the opposite holds true also.....that a team with good KPP, especially up forward, and a weak midfield will always struggle.  Considering we've had the likes of Richo and Ottens available to play up forward, we have been the lowest scoring team for the past few years.

Get good midfielders and they will make aveage players like Ray Hall look like a gun full back.

Offline wrennyboy

• Future Richmond star
  • Captain Coughlan
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2004, 03:55:33 PM »
Well i beleive our backline is poor but we relaly gotta try tuck,morrison and weller and moore down there the whole year i think alnog with zantuck if that doesnt work then so be it.

Cloke can play Backline and if we get the priority picks then the KP guy we get will play backline ala brad miller and he is now a chf he played backline for like 2 years learnnig the caper so that is pretty good. I would also give schultz sum time down back so at least we can try sumthin.

I think we gotta trade gasper to west coast for Adam Hunter he is a pretty good player i think and is a good backman thats already developed maybe him and a draft pick.
wrenny

Offline Tigertailz

• Premiership Captain
  • "here we go again!"
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2004, 04:50:45 PM »
My mail on Travis Cloke from an excellent source is that he is defnitely a Pie.David and Julie defnitely want all three of their sons in a more stable enviroment than Tigerland.The Pies will bend over backwards to make it happen.
I agree about getting our midfield in order.
A key defender to build our defence around should be a priority as well.

Offline Puntroadroar

• Premiership Captain
  • Our Very own Top Gun
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2004, 05:00:38 PM »
speaking of quality midfielders for the future and even though Kym Monteath isnt old enough this year I have been keeping an eye on him at East Freo, unfortunately hasnt set the world on fire since coming back from major shoulder injury but he is still a talent.

but a kid by the name of Brendan Jones, also in the colts has caught my eye, although I dont know much about him or his age he is a midfielder for Perth colts, be racking up possessions with ease this season with stats of 47,36,19,36,29,20,32 possessions each game.

of course AFL standard and WAFL colt standard is a huge difference, but this kid is a leading colt player over here

might not mean much because he is young and in perth, but I cant help but think this kid is a ball magnet and will be a name worth looking at in the draft in the not to distant future.
There's no I in team, but there is 5 i's in Individual Brilliance.

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2004, 05:22:36 PM »
speaking of quality midfielders for the future and even though Kym Monteath isnt old enough this year I have been keeping an eye on him at East Freo, unfortunately hasnt set the world on fire since coming back from major shoulder injury but he is still a talent.

but a kid by the name of Brendan Jones, also in the colts has caught my eye, although I dont know much about him or his age he is a midfielder for Perth colts, be racking up possessions with ease this season with stats of 47,36,19,36,29,20,32 possessions each game.

of course AFL standard and WAFL colt standard is a huge difference, but this kid is a leading colt player over here

might not mean much because he is young and in perth, but I cant help but think this kid is a ball magnet and will be a name worth looking at in the draft in the not to distant future.

send Miller an email PRR.

More eyes and ears out there the better.