Author Topic: Selwood, Cotchin, Pendlebury: Who's been the better player & captain? (SEN)  (Read 1954 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
SELWOOD, COTCHIN, PENDLEBURY: WHO HAS BEEN THE BETTER PLAYER AND CAPTAIN?

By Nathan John
SEN
18 June 2021

With Joel Selwood, Trent Cotchin and Scott Pendlebury in their twilight years as footballers, which has had the better career as player and captain?

Garry Lyon and Tim Watson put the question to four-time Hawthorn premiership player Jordan Lewis on Thursday morning.

“Selwood is my gut feel,” Lewis told SEN Breakfast.

“Just the body of work… (though) you’re splitting hairs against these three.”

Since he played in three premierships across his first five seasons, Selwood has captained the Cats for 10 seasons, won six All-Australian nods and captured three Carji Greeves Medals.

The 33-year-old is also a four-time winner of the AFLPA Robert Rose Most Courageous Player Award, and has played in 34 finals, behind only Michael Tuck and Shaun Burgoyne.

“The way he’s been able to play and perform at a high level in finals, for me gets him the edge over the other two,” Lewis continued.

“(Though) you could probably make a case for each one of those players. I don’t think it’s fair if I sit here and name one.”

Richmond captain Trent Cotchin has similarly been a rock in the Tigers’ leadership, having served as captain since 2013.

The 31-year-old has been a defining presence in the reigning premiers’ pressure game, having subdued the silkier side that carried him to the 2012 Brownlow Medal.

“His last five, six years have been unbelievable,” Watson enthused.

“A (three-time) premiership captain… he’s changed his style of play too. We rarely see someone go from what he was and turn into what he has become as a player.”

Lewis similarly commended Cotchin’s selfless contribution to the Tigers’ triptych of triumphs in 2017, 2019 and 2020.

“For me, he could have had more All-Australians, or more individual accolades, but there was a decision made five or six years ago to go ‘no, I don’t care about that, I’m investing in the team’, Lewis explained.

“That’s why (becoming a) three-time premiership captain is an extraordinary effort, because he could have gone the other way and not had that.”

Collingwood champion Scott Pendlebury is the Magpies’ games record holder, and has captained the club for eight seasons.

Since he was selected at No.5 in the 2005 national draft, Pendlebury has accumulated six All-Australian jackets and five Copeland Trophies.

He also won the Norm Smith Medal in the 2010 Grand Final Replay, as the Pies tore apart a weary St Kilda.

“He’s still their best player,” Lewis marvelled.

So who is the best of the triumvirate?

“Impossible,” Lyon concluded.

“It’s an unfair, impossible question. They’re all-time greats and they’ll all be in the Hall of Fame.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/06/18/selwood-cotchin-pendlebury-who-has-been-the-better-player-and-captain/

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Selwood’s career is tarnished by the individual record which is most significant - most free kicks ever paid for high contact. It’s the AFL’s equivalent of diving in soccer, he’s responsible for the rule changing on ducking.
He’s a good player but he’s a better cheat and that ducking is a blight on the game.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
These comparisons are difficult but I’ll give it a shot. 

Best player - Pendlebury
Best captain - Cotchin
Best cheat - Selwood
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
By the video on the afl site, Selwood is best at standing on players on the ground and poking his fingers in players eyes
Those cheats hocking and Christian will let him off for sure

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Selwoods not in the same breath as the other two

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
By the video on the afl site, Selwood is best at standing on players on the ground and poking his fingers in players eyes
Only fined.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/633194/match-review-selwood-charged-twice-for-separate-incidents

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
Only fined.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/633194/match-review-selwood-charged-twice-for-separate-incidents

Dirty player he is and gets way with it like he did to Baker in the GF.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
Another win for SHocking's GFL... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.