Author Topic: Now we're out, who would & wouldn't you like to see win the flag?  (Read 30230 times)

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Now we're out, who would & wouldn't you like to see win the flag?
« Reply #105 on: August 29, 2021, 10:08:15 AM »
well now that the afl got what they wanted, im sure the rules will somehow magically revert back.

Make no mistake almost every one of these rules was implemented as a result of our clubs dominance.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #106 on: August 29, 2021, 10:27:32 AM »
well now that the afl got what they wanted, im sure the rules will somehow magically revert back.

Let's hope you are correct.
Yeah we're already going to vote for him mate, you don't need to keep selling it.....

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #107 on: August 29, 2021, 11:16:10 AM »
Why do you hate the stand rule fluffy. It just takes one defender out of the play and opens up the narrow angles for the kicker. What's not to like?

This rule was not bought in via a recommendation of the rules committee. SHocking by-passed it and presented it to Gil and then commission and it got the green light. That he was allowed to do that is as big a blight on the game as the rule itself. And Gil should be embarrassed and hang his head in shame. Only decent thing Gil has done regarding SHocking is show him the door as soon as he got the Geelong gig but sadly the damage has been done

I hate the rule for many reasons.

Firstly, it was clearly bought in to impact on our game style because SHocking didn't like our dominance. Rules should not be bought in to favour one team over another.  They are supposed to bought in to improve the game.  Recent history tells us that many rules changes have not improved the game. In the most part they have led to more confusion and frustration

Secondly, they boasted it would improve scoring and make the game faster and look better due to less congestion.  It has down none of those things. Watching kick to kick, zig zagging and slow ball movement doesn't make the game look better, it isn't exciting it is boring

Defence believe it or not is a skill of our game. A special skill. Some clubs are good at it others aren't. Standing the mark, manning the mark to create perceived pressure is a skill. But this rule says that to have that skill is wrong. Seriously WTF?

During the course of the year I've watched a number of games from the last couple of years (because I can't watch the game now because of how it's played) and I cannot fathom why this change was needed.

No one can tell me that hearing the umps yelling "stand" every 10 seconds is good for the game.

No one can tell me that with a someone standing still 45 mteres from goal and having a player being able to run right up beside the statute at 45 metres and kick for goal is good for the game or looks good. That's not our game, it shouldn't be part of our game.

Throw in the lack of the consistency around how it's being umpired, that is sometimes they call play on when the kicker goes off the mark most time they don't... that's not good for game

The rule is a blight on the game, it's embarrassing and it has destroyed a important skill because one bloke decided he wanted to, needed to leave a mark on the game. Why? Only he can answer but I think most of us know the answer
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Broadsword

« Reply #108 on: August 29, 2021, 04:05:59 PM »
My ranking of teams I'd least like to win the premiership this year.

1. Essendon
Drug cheats who should have had their AFL license revoked. They are ahead of us on 16 premierships; I look forward to us narrowing the gap, not them widening it.

2. Geelong
Where to start? We have taught Chris Scott to respect us (begrudgingly), but deep down he can't stand us and can't figure out how to emulate us. We talk of 'connectedness' and 'Richmond Man'; he and his star players grow their hair long to express their individuality and acceptance of difference. They just don't get it. Seeing a Chris Scott post-KO press conference is delectable, a delight--something to have your morning coffee to with the promise of a great day to come. The Geelong Dad's Army model does not deserve validation and Steve Hocking's clear conflict of interest-- his ad hoc, untested rule changes that have profoundly eroded the aesthetics of the game--deserve to be punished.

3. Port Adelaide
The Bonaparte Syndrome entrant on the list: Port fans are as feral as it gets; they sure wish we cared about them and their opinions, but we just don't, and that's what hurts them the most. Where irrelevance meets shinboner meets illiterate, unabashed criminality, you find Port Adelaide fans. They make me proud to know Collingwood people. Not even their own mothers want them to win the premiership.

4. Sydney
Historical advantages for player acquisition and retention, perpetual home ground advantage to propel them into finals more years than not, dour football, dour coach--it took a Hardwick rocket for Longmire to use his library card to start taking out books about attacking, entertaining football.

5. Western Bulldogs
Soon after the 2016 grand final, Beveridge said he expected it to be the first in a Bulldogs dynasty. I simply don't want history to show that from 2016 to 2021 Richmond won 3 premierships and the Bulldogs 2. Should they stop throwing the football to each other, I have no real problem with them triumphing at a later date.   

6. GWS
Fake club created for commercial reasons who turned on each other when the going got tough after the 2019 GF. The Amazon documentary exposed a toxic, antiquated culture in my opinion--not quite the Adelaide Ubermensch, Einsatzgruppen mentality, but a ruthless streak that is unlikeable nonetheless.   

7. Brisbane
Faux tough Mitch Robinson aside, I have no real problems with Brisbane winning it, although I doubt they can now. I think that's a case in point: they are a little soft to be premiers; the Geelong home prelim was an embarrassment last year.

8. Melbourne
The team that reminds me most of Richmond 2017. Just like we were at that time, I think they are humbled enough by historical failures to take goodwill into the finals as 'everyone's second team'. Good luck to them, because I sure don't fancy any of the others winning it instead!

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #109 on: August 29, 2021, 04:13:54 PM »
 :lol
Excellent work Broady.  :clapping
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #110 on: August 29, 2021, 05:53:44 PM »
#LOLBUMBLERS
 :tvhappy :tvhappy :tvhappy :tvhappy :tvhappy

"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Broadsword

« Reply #111 on: August 29, 2021, 05:56:21 PM »
Tragic. Just tragic. When Essendon sack Rutten and Caracella and bring in Hird and Bomber.T, they can come back to Tigerland.

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #112 on: August 29, 2021, 06:04:14 PM »
Just need Geelong to lose next week and Ill be able to call the season a part success.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #113 on: August 29, 2021, 06:14:19 PM »
Another finals flogging for the Bombers  :rollin.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #114 on: August 29, 2021, 06:14:36 PM »
Let’s be honest:-
Port, Bulldogs and Dees were free money bets.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #117 on: August 29, 2021, 10:49:32 PM »
Rohan Connolly having a massive meltdown on twitter.... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #118 on: August 29, 2021, 11:21:17 PM »
Rohan Connolly having a massive meltdown on twitter.... :shh

he is the reason i logged into my twitter account for the first time in years

no reply yet

blaming the umpires for their loss by 50 points. Okay sure.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #119 on: August 30, 2021, 03:48:33 AM »
But it’s not just the narrative that has the Demons reminding so many of the Tigers; St Kilda great Nick Riewoldt said on Saturday night if the sides “weren’t wearing jumpers”, you could’ve mistaken Goodwin’s side for Hardwick’s.

Brisbane champion Jonathan Brown added that it feels like a repeat of Richmond’s 2017 premiership triumph against the odds.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-news-2021-week-1-finals-analysis-talking-points-reaction-melbourne-2021-like-richmond-2017-patrick-dangerfield-geelong-week-1-finals/news-story/e77f93ac7f106ccc9e5535f3c36b3847