Author Topic: The Stand rule [merged]  (Read 8306 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
The Stand rule [merged]
« on: November 05, 2021, 04:58:14 PM »
AUDIO: https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=924573

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

“I THINK IT WAS A MISS”: VETERAN TIGER NOT A FAN OF KEY RULE CHANGE

By Laurence Rosen
SEN
5 November 2021

Champion Richmond forward Jack Riewoldt says the AFL’s new stand rule was a “miss” in its first season.

On the eve of Round 1 this year, the AFL unveiled the new rule, which saw players unable to deviate from the mark once an umpire has called ‘stand’.

While it resulted in more attacking football during earlier rounds, games tightened up defensively as the season progressed and teams had more time to work out how to adjust their respective game plans.

Riewoldt said the rule “caught a lot of teams on the hop”, saying teams opted to defend more as a result of the rule.

“I was a bit worried early on when this one was announced,” he said on SEN Hobart.

“I thought there would be 50m penalties left, right and centre but players adjusted to it fairly well. What it did create was this panic when the game was so free-flowing and I think that was quite evident to people watching the footy over the first four or five rounds.

“It probably caught a lot of teams on the hop in terms of how to defend it and play the rule, but ultimately it did probably lead to a bit more flooding and sides maybe not pressing up as strongly defensively and (they) were sitting back a bit more.

“I think it was a miss that one, I’m not big on the standing the mark rule.”

The stand rule will make its debut in both the AFLW and SANFL next season, after initially not being used in both competitions.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/11/05/i-think-it-was-a-miss-veteran-tiger-not-a-fan-of-key-rule-change/
« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 07:13:47 PM by one-eyed »

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Jack Riewoldt says the stand rule was a "miss" (SEN)
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2021, 06:21:18 PM »
Can't believe it's being introduced to other comps.
Should be stopped, removed, killed never to be seen again

Online camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2021, 07:42:42 PM »
Over governed , people trying to make themselves relevant as unelected custodians of our game. terrible rule that didn’t achieve anything in the end but over complicate the game and allow the slime/ maggots to be in the spot light more often

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2021, 06:50:09 PM »
Simply implemented to help geelong win a flag lol

Online camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2021, 10:52:16 PM »
So true

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2021, 11:01:38 AM »
The most stupid thing about this, is, it is arse about.   Implement it in the seconds and the women's comp first to see how it runs before you do a massive unnecessary head transplant on the main game that nobody asked for in order to serve someone's methane inflated ego and attempt to win his favored team a granny.
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2021, 01:26:35 PM »
The most stupid thing about this, is, it is arse about.   Implement it in the seconds and the women's comp first to see how it runs before you do a massive unnecessary head transplant on the main game that nobody asked for in order to serve someone's methane inflated ego and attempt to win his favored team a granny.

Or trial it in the pre-season and analyse what the impact is

But no, SHOCKING used his absolute power to bring in a rule without any consultation with anyone even bypassed the weak as water rules committee. And even worse than that was Gil and the commission let him.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2021, 01:42:07 PM »

Source: HeraldSun.

:clapping

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Benny Gale slams the Stand rule (HeraldSun)
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2021, 01:59:56 PM »
Here's Benny Gale's full comments on the Stand rule:

Richmond CEO Brendon Gale slams ‘stand’ rule

HeraldSun
8 November 2021

Tom Lynch kicked just 35 goals in 2021, and Richmond’s CEO says a decision at AFL House is partly to blame. But he insists the Tigers’ flag window is still open.

Richmond chief executive Brendon Gale says the AFL’s new stand rule will be judged as a failure that promoted uncontested “circle-work” and was a factor in Tom Lynch’s 35-goal season.

Gale told the Herald Sun the new rule was “unedifying” as defenders stood passively on the mark in what should be a contested, in-your-face game.

The AFL brought in its new rules, including the stand rule, after closely monitoring Richmond’s brilliant efforts to guard the corridor while on the mark in the club’s successful 2020 premiership defence.

But scoring went down from 80.7 points a game in 2019 to 79.7 points in 2021 (2020 involved shorter games) even if teams could move the ball from defensive 50 to inside 50 more smoothly.

Richmond also had its frenetic tackling game blunted as rivals chipped the ball around and denied the Tigers the chance to apply their trademark pressure.

“With the man on the mark rule, teams rather than defend proactively in the middle of the ground and up the ground, they just folded back,” 244-game Tigers veteran Gale said.

“So, as a result, scoring has gone down again. It’s harder to score as teams fall back.

“If the stated objective was to get the ball in motion, then the ball was in motion. But I saw a lot of games this year which were simply keepings off. If the stated objective was to score, well, it hasn’t worked.

“Teams want to control the ball because defences were flooding back. So the ball is in motion but it’s keepings off. Teams aren’t scoring.

“I just think the mere sight of players standing passively on the mark is unedifying. When you think of the nature of our game, it’s an active, on-your-toes, aggressive game, so I think it was unedifying. Teams fold back and don’t defend the ground. Melbourne conceded a score from 35 per cent of entries and it was the lowest of all time.”

Gale admits the league is unlikely to revert from its stand rule, with new football operations boss Brad Scott making clear he saw no need for intervention.

“It’s a personal view. If they want the ball in continuous motion, so be it, but I think we like scoring and there isn’t a correlation between that rule and high scores.”

Gale said Richmond’s form had contributed to Tom Lynch’s quieter season, but added the new rules didn’t help.

“As a team, we were very inconsistent. Very unbalanced between the defensive and offensive and there were a whole bunch of reasons behind that, and we have done a lot of analysis. But at the end of the day, I don’t think our forward line got a lot of good looks.

“It’s harder to score in general as teams fall back and with the way we performed as a team, but Tom can play and he will respond accordingly.”

Former AFL football boss Steve Hocking made clear he believed the changes had worked after a remarkable Grand Final that saw key momentum swings between Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs.

“I look to the Grand Final and I think you have a look at 10 minutes to go in third quarter, the Dogs are 19 points up (and Melbourne won),” he said last month.

“If any of you needed to understand what my vision was for the game, that game captured it. It was really about the best players being able to demonstrate their high level of skills.”

Source: HeraldSun.

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Jack Riewoldt & Benny Gale's criticism of the Stand rule [merged]
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2021, 02:01:58 PM »
AFL rotten to its stuffen core.  Scumbags.

Really glad the club has finally come out and called a spade a stuffen shovel.  Well done Benny.

I was very specific in my feedback on the end of year survey that the club needs to stick up for itself more publicly

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
Re: Jack Riewoldt & Benny Gale slam the Stand rule [merged]
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2021, 02:59:45 PM »
Is he seriously saying HIS vision for the game and presenting that lay down misere granny as an example ?  So his vision is to hand the ball to individual players and shoo everyone else away so they can go unhindered to perform a solo uncontested gymnastics routine or something?  Is he insane?

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Jack Riewoldt & Benny Gale's criticism of the Stand rule [merged]
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2021, 03:42:06 PM »
AFL rotten to its stuffen core.  Scumbags.

Really glad the club has finally come out and called a spade a stuffen shovel.  Well done Benny.

I was very specific in my feedback on the end of year survey that the club needs to stick up for itself more publicly

Youll find the club probably got a lot of feedback on the stand rule and that our members wanted the club to do more about it and how it was implemented.

Online camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2021, 04:22:43 PM »
This is such a flog, no wonder his own brother dislikes him
How much skill does it take to run around a lamp post

Didn’t Melbourne just blast it out of the middle, nothing to do with standing on the mark helped them win.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2021, 09:23:53 AM »
They did camboon, true that

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2021, 07:11:20 AM »
Brad Scott said the stand rule is staying.

https://twitter.com/7NewsMelbourne/status/1461603942006079488

:thumbsdown