Author Topic: Wogball anyone ?  (Read 3813 times)

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
Wogball anyone ?
« on: May 21, 2006, 04:22:21 AM »
Anyone going to see the soccerchocs play Greece on Thursday, not really into soccer that much but been to a few of the big games and the atmosphere is quite awesome. Only 20 bucks being an mcc toff so may as well pop over after work.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Wogball anyone ?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 03:55:47 AM »
Wogball? Welcome back to the 1960s/70s. The great Johnny Warren would've been proud :wallywink. Soccer was codified in England don't forget CUB ;).

I didn't get tickets to Thursday's game but I went to the Iran qualifier at the 'G in 1997 and yeah CUB the atmosphere there is awesome with 90,000 people all passionately barracking for the Aussies.

I like soccer but prefer playing it than watching it. A top game full of drama and spectacular freaky goals like last week's FA Cup is great to watch but I couldn't follow soccer every week. Highlights on SBS is one thing but there's too little action IMO when you actually sit through 90 minutes of a typical match. Really despite the worldgame tag the real superstar quality is only in the rich teams of the best leagues in Europe. I went to a Melbourne Victory game over the summer and the standard was shocking for supposedly professionals. Slow as! I remember walking out of Olympic Park saying Aussies rules has nothing to worry about.

What I also don't like about professional soccer is money decides the champions. I can never understand why most soccer fans of the non big 4 clubs in England don't create a fuss over their teams never ever being able to  win another premiership in their lifetime unless a rich Russian comes out of nowhere and buys them one. At least the World Cup has some purity to it left and the best country wins. Go the Socceroos! :thumbsup   
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
Re: Wogball anyone ?
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 09:10:03 PM »
Shambles of a game. Was absolutely gutted....we played like dogs and the Aussies just did enough. Waste of time and effort, and the atmosphere was disgusting. I swear Geelong-Richmond was 10 times better.
Den uparxei Ellada xwris AEK.

Finally our new webage: http://www.original21.com/melbourne