Author Topic: Coaching Candidates?  (Read 4885 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Coaching Candidates?
« on: June 22, 2004, 01:44:22 AM »
The summary is directed towards Adelaide but these names will be on shopping list too (Hopefully Not Eade though  :-X ).

------------------------------

The candidates
By Nabila Ahmed
realfooty.theage.com.au
June 22, 2004

RODNEY EADE

"I'm certainly interested in coaching again. What happens in Adelaide really is going to be determined by the Adelaide footy club but if they're interested in talking to me, I'd certainly be interested in talking to them.

I don't know the full set of circumstances and what really happened internally but having been through it, I do empathise with him and the fact that he's had to do that mid-season."

TERRY WALLACE

"I will speak to any club that is available at the right time . . . if you want to coach - if that's your chosen profession - knowing that it's a national competition, you've got to look at whatever the better options are to sustain that coaching position."

SHAUN REHN

"It's certainly something that I'd be keen to do. It's not necessarily just Adelaide. 'Have I got ambitions for coaching at the next level?' My answer would be 'yes'. But at the moment, I've got to concentrate on the West Adelaide football club and making the SANFL finals."

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2004/06/21/1087669917851.html
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Coaching Candidates?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2004, 02:21:50 AM »
Wouldn't it be great category

Sheedy - Wishful thinking. Playing hard to get again with the Dons for a new contract.

Pagan - Would only leave the Blues if they let him go due to his current $$$ contract. Miller connection obviously.

Realistic category

Wallace - Experienced coach who developed a highly skilled side at the Dogs albeit on the puny side towards the end. Win at all cost tactics as well. Said once he would only coach a side that had a chance of winning a flag in the near future or words to that effect.

Eade - As you would have already guessed I'm not a fan. Yes got Sydney to a GF in his first year but that was on the back of Lockett on the SCG. Swans stagnated after that. A coach that was prone to use negative tactics to win ugly. Please I couldn't stand anymore of that crap after recent years. Swans fans rejoiced when he quit and I don't blame them.

Ayres - Now available obviously. Successful premiership player and Norm Smith medalist. Coaching and especially developing a list questionable. Went for short term success over long-term list building at both Geelong and Adelaide. IMO not what we are after. Whether he wants to coach again is debatable.

O'Donnell - Successful player at Essendon who has done his coaching apprenticeship under Leigh Mathews. A would be rookie senior coach. Are we game enough to go down that road again? It would be a big change in environment leaving such a well-organized and successful Club like Brisbane to come Tigerland where the support structure would need to be built from stratch apart from Miller.

Harvey - Similar to O'Donnell but has spent his whole playing and coaching career at one club Essendon albeit a successful long-term one. Is that healthy for his coaching education? Another would be rookie senior coach who would have to cope like O'Donnell with a huge change in culture.

Smokies

Rehn - Has done extremely well at West Adelaide. Got them to the SANFL GF last year from memory after they had spent a number of years down the bottom. Coached Shane Tuck last year. Dual premiership ruckman at the Crows. Another would be rookie senior coach who would face a similar culture shock as the other rookie coaches.

Ratten - ok only in his first year as an assistant at Melbourne and really hasn't done his coaching apprenticeship but have heard the Demons are esctatic with him since he arrived there. Motto - it's my ball or something like that. Played in successful Carlton sides as well.

Any others?

Jackstar

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2004, 05:21:52 AM »
Wallace will coach us next year ;)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2004, 09:12:09 AM »
Anyone but Mark Harvey.

Would Stan Alves be an option? Hearing him speak the other week - I reckon you could do worse.

But if I were gambler - I'd say Wallace at the moment would be our next coach
« Last Edit: June 22, 2004, 09:15:14 AM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2004, 09:46:39 AM »
One from left field - Mark Williams.

If Port crumble again in the finals I beleive they will part company.  He has done well in implementing an attacking exciting, free flowing game plan and has uncovered and developed some great players.  If he was able to get us to a similar position after the home and away games then we would be a more formidible outfit in the finals than port was due to playing games at the G and our massive supporter base.  I beleive he would be a great option.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline Puntroadroar

• Premiership Captain
  • Our Very own Top Gun
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2004, 11:34:02 AM »
yeah i agree Harry, plus he is a mongrel just what we need.
There's no I in team, but there is 5 i's in Individual Brilliance.

Offline wrennyboy

• Future Richmond star
  • Captain Coughlan
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2004, 11:50:27 AM »
Yeh Mark Williams wouldnt be the worst option.

But i regret that frawley should of resigned before ayres. Now adelaide have first option and they are gonna take wallace and then sheedy will sign for 3 years on friday. We are gooone
wrenny

Offline Puntroadroar

• Premiership Captain
  • Our Very own Top Gun
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2004, 12:25:49 PM »
I dont know what goes on in your mind sometimes wrenny, but its sure does amuse me.

Hot Tip: craig will be crows coach

who says we are going after Wallace anyway? I hear Coach Required is the man for the job!! a reliable source told me.

;D
There's no I in team, but there is 5 i's in Individual Brilliance.

froars

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2004, 08:33:08 PM »
Well, Sheeds is a no go if he's going to tell the Bombers this week if he will sign or not.  He's hardly gonna say no and then continue till the end of the season at the Bombers.  I wish the Bombers just once would call his bluff and say rack off.

Offline Tigertailz

• Premiership Captain
  • "here we go again!"
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2004, 09:17:07 PM »
Geez Williams would b a great choice

whoever does come will want to see some evidence of stability though

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2004, 09:25:53 PM »
One from left field - Mark Williams.

Definitely would be under pressure to keep his job Harry. Only a GF appearance would save him IMO after Port have been bundled out the last 3 years after finishing the H/A season on top.

Would the Tiger faithful accept him after his disrespectful comments about Richmond late last year in the week of Jack Dyer's passing? 

Offline Tigertailz

• Premiership Captain
  • "here we go again!"
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2004, 01:10:59 PM »
What did he say again, MT?

Ox

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2004, 01:24:40 PM »
I said Williams last year and was laughed off the board,
but i guess people here are smart(er) ;D

No Sheeds.
As If !

Would you leave a pretty wife for a skagged out hooker ?

Offline Struggletown

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2004, 02:07:46 PM »
I said Williams last year and was laughed off the board,
but i guess people here are smart(er) ;D

No Sheeds.
As If !

Would you leave a pretty wife for a skagged out hooker ?

Hugh Grant for RFC coach then OX?? ;)
Drink,Drugs and Shagging models.
The rest l just wasted.
  George Best on where his millions went

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2004, 04:21:39 PM »
What did he say again, MT?

Basically he said before the game he was more interested in their training session at the MCG than playing us. They also didn't sing their song afterwards as defeating us wasn't considered worthy enough to sing it. No black arm bands were worn either as a mark (excuse the pun) of respect for the passing of the late great Jack Dyer.