Author Topic: Benny Gale one of 7 possible candidates to replace Gill as AFL CEO (Foxsports)  (Read 3583 times)

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
Grant Thomas would be amazing as he would bring footy back the way we all love it. I wouldn't say no to Eddie either.

Grant Thomas LMAO
Surely you are taking the pee

Have you talked to him recently about the game and his views on the game?

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
Grant or Eddy??

No chance

Buffoons

Mind you Gil is not far in front of them so wtf knows

I don’t care who it is as long as they scrap standing the mark

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
Grant Thomas would be amazing as he would bring footy back the way we all love it. I wouldn't say no to Eddie either.

Grant Thomas LMAO

No. And zero interest in doing so

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame

Grant Thomas LMAO

Okay- then would you believe i am not joking...he would fix the current game within a week.

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!

Grant Thomas LMAO

Okay- then would you believe i am not joking...he would fix the current game within a week.

Stick him in Shockings old role then
He’s not capable of being the head of the game

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
MIKE SHEAHAN NAMES HIS “PRE-RACE” FAVOURITE TO REPLACE GILLON MCLACHLAN

Veteran AFL journalist Mike Sheahan believes Brendon Gale should be the future CEO of the AFL, should they side with someone that has clubland experience.

Following Gillon McLachlan’s sudden resignation from the role on Tuesday afternoon, Sheahan says there’s no question that Gale is the number one candidate.

Touted as being McLachlan’s potential successor for some time, Gale has been the CEO of the Richmond Football Club since 2009, taking the Tigers from a “basket case” to a “powerhouse”, winning premierships in 2017, 2019 and 2020 and topping 100,000 members.

Gale’s experience as a past player, lawyer, chief of the players’ union and CEO has him as the pre-race favourite, according to Sheahan.

“I can’t give you any (names) that haven’t been canvassed but I think from clubland, Brendon Gale’s CV is impeccable,” Sheahan said on SEN Breakfast.

“I don’t know if he’ll get the job or not, but he certainly has to be the pre-race favourite, given his background as a player, 250 games, lawyer, ran the Players’ Association and took Richmond from being a basket case to a powerhouse.

“There’s no question in my mind that on the candidates that we know, Brendon Gale is my number one.”

Sheahan feels experience at club level shouldn’t be underestimated when choosing McLachlan’s successor, given their knowledge of the game and the intricacies that come with it.

“I think football’s big enough to say it can spawn its own people capable of running the competition, Gillon has done it well and I think Brendon or if there’s a better candidate at club level, they would do it well,” he added.

“I think it’s fashionable to say we’ll do this worldwide search, get these head-hunters in and come back with someone we’ve never heard of. I think it’s important to understand what happens in this industry because running the AFL is similar to being Prime Minister, except more people care about the AFL job.

“I can’t see how anyone at club level gets near him (Gale) in terms of his credentials.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/04/12/mike-sheahan-names-his-pre-race-favourite-to-replace-gillon-mclachlan/

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
You wouldn’t begrudge him for doing so but I would hate to lose a president and CEO in the same season.

Online TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
I can see Benny saying no. He seems happy at home. Losing Pretty I can see him thinking it's really poor timing to leave the club. After everything he's done I think he'd see it as a huge risk losing president and CEO in same year.
Go Tigers!

Online taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Peggy is the obvious replacement for Gil, does she want it though?

Peggy is the least obvious person for the CEO role, she is a governor not an executive.

Peggy would replace Goyder, not Gill

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Caro reckons Benny Gale is the "hot favourite" but Eddie chipped in and said not amongst the non-Victorian presidents he has spoken to.

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
FO Eddie ya flog
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
‘He just signed for three years’: AFL duty-bound to talk to Gale, but there’s a catch

Michael Gleeson
The Age
April 14, 2022

Richmond president Peggy O’Neal admits the AFL is duty bound to talk to her club’s highly regarded CEO as a possible replacement for the outgoing head Gillon McLachlan but said Brendon Gale had just re-signed with the Tigers and the AFL should cast its recruiting net beyond league headquarters and clubs.

The AFL’s first female president said gender should be irrelevant to the AFL CEO appointment and the league should consider a female for the top job, adding the AFL had long passed similarly dated notions that presidents and CEOs needed to have come from a sport background or played at the highest level.

“Of course, they should talk to Brendon and see whether he is interested in talking to them, that’s another thing,” O’Neal said.

“He is a very talented person, he is very smart, he always has the view of the many stakeholders you have to balance. Brendon is great in all those things you would want in a CEO and he has given us wonderful service and everyone acknowledges how talented he is or we wouldn’t be talking about him this way.

“But right now he is our CEO and that is it.

“I know people like to speculate but in the meantime he is our CEO and we have a lot going on and he is committed to that. He just signed for three years through to 2025.”

On Thursday, Richmond coach Damien Hardwick praised Gale’s leadership and backed him to success should he get the job.

“Brendon is a star in my opinion. Whatever Brendon puts his mind to, he’s going to succeed,” Hardwick said at Punt Road.

“He is an aspirational leader, which I love. I love working for him here.

“He’s been such a strong supporter of our football department and our club in general.

“I’m sure the AFL will have a very, very good look at him.”

And if Gale does get the top job, one thing Hardwick would like his current boss to fix is the soft cap on football department expenditure because the Richmond coach stressed there was “no question” that it was becoming harder to attract staff such as medical professionals.

“They’ve been asked to do a hell of a lot more work for less money and they put in long hours,” Hardwick said.

“Coaches put in long hours but medicos are there 24/7 and we’re asking them to take less pay.”

O’Neal said the priority now should be congratulating McLachlan on the job he had done rather than rushing to name a successor.

“I think if you make the pool wide enough, there will be an equal number of meritorious people no matter what the gender,” she said.

“In every business, you look for someone like the person stepping aside and that is often too narrow so I would hope that there is an extensive search and more lateral thinking.

“It’s like what they used to say about presidents: do you have to have come from a sporting background to be a president? Do you have to have played at the highest level to be a CEO? I think you need to have knowledge or acquire that knowledge but I think the skills are skills applicable to most businesses.

“Businesses all the time look outside (the organisation). The CEO jobs, top jobs or chairman, they don’t go to internal candidates. You need to go to the market and see what is out there even to test the proposition of your internal candidates.

“You need to be sure you have exhausted your search of the pool of talent and rather than wait for people to apply to go out and find people that might be suitable.

“That is not to say anything about the people who are senior at AFL House and get mentioned because I hold them in high regard, too. It’s just if you want to say are we doing the best by the organisation, then you need to look far and wide.”

The AFL has appointed Bruce Williamson of executive recruitment firm Spencer Stuart to conduct the search.

Gale will no doubt be among those approached. O’Neal said that in her first year as president, Andrew Demetriou stood down and Gale’s name was raised as a possible replacement, and he had annually since been spoken about as future AFL CEO.

Williamson’s list of candidates will certainly contain AFL executives Andrew Dillon, Travis Auld and Kylie Rogers while Western Bulldogs president Kylie Watson Wheeler, who is senior vice president and managing director of Disney Australia and New Zealand, is a high-calibre candidate along with MCC CEO and former Hawthorn CEO Stuart Fox.

O’Neal scoffed at the idea she could throw her own hat in the ring, saying she had sated her sporting appetite with her work at Richmond.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/he-just-signed-for-three-years-afl-duty-bound-to-talk-to-gale-but-there-s-a-catch-20220413-p5ad94.html

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
If Benny goes then there is an obvious replacement

A former RFC official, who was mentored by Benny, got a CEOs role at another Club and was dumped in powerplay by incoming President

This bloke negotiated record sponsorship for that Club. Though I am sure the president will give all the credit to the new CEO

At Richmond this bloke put together the membership program that set us on the path to 100k members regularly

Blokes name is Cain Liddle

Whats he doing these day?

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Suns’ chief seeks to block Gale’s path to game’s top job (ZH)
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2022, 04:33:16 PM »
Suns’ chief seeks to block Gale’s path to game’s top job

Tony Cochrane has reportedly commenced a campaign to halt the ‘Tiger King’ succeeding Gillon McLachlan.

Ed Carmine
zerohanger.com
April 16, 2022

Outspoken Gold Coast chairman Tony Cochrane has reportedly commenced a campaign designed to keep current Richmond CEO Brendon Gale from succeeding Gillon McLachlan as league boss due to claims that the AFL is already too Victorian-centric.

As first reported by Caroline Wilson of The Age, the vociferous Cochrane has made contact with each of the league's non-Victorian clubs in an effort to rally support for his crusade against the revolutionary Tigers' chief.

Wilson stated that Cochrane has already touched base with the respective presidents of the Fremantle, West Coast, Adelaide, Port Adelaide, Sydney, Greater Western Sydney and Brisbane Football Clubs to pitch his particular case.

Even prior to McLachlan's announcement that he would be stepping down from his role as the game's head at the cessation of the 2022 season, Gale was seen as one of - if not the - prime candidates to succeed the South Australian at AFL House.

Although Gale has recently put pen to paper on a three-year extension to remain at Punt Road, the 244-game Tiger's prospects of presiding over each of the competition's 18 clubs refuse to be dulled.

While claiming that the elevation of Gale would only see Victorian clubs offered what is perceived to be a cushy ride, it must be noted that the 53-year-old is a born-and-bred Tasmanian.

And given Cochrane has long remained a vocal critic of an expansion side from the Apple Isle being given the green light, the Queensland-based promoter is in direct opposition to Gale, with the Burnie-native already throwing his, and Richmond's, support behind the island state earning the AFL's 19th licence.

A decision on whether or not the footballing state will be granted an invite to join the league is expected to be made when each of the competition's 18 presidents officially convenes in August.

A complete list of candidates to succeed McLachlan is yet to be made public, however, Gale is expected to contend with incumbent AFL employees Andrew Dillon, Travis Auld and Kylie Rogers for the role.

https://www.zerohanger.com/suns-chief-seeks-to-block-gales-path-to-games-top-job-118693/

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
Add Tony Cochbrain to the salt locker thread
Lots of people name their swords......