Author Topic: Benny Gale one of 7 possible candidates to replace Gill as AFL CEO (Foxsports)  (Read 3584 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Giants boss backs rival Brendon Gale to replace AFL chief (Foxsports)
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2022, 08:52:54 PM »
Giants boss backs rival to replace AFL chief amid Sun’s ‘highly unusual’ move

Catherine Healey
Fox Sports
April 22nd, 2022 7:48 pm

GWS chief Dave Matthews has thrown his support behind Brendon Gale as the man to potentially replace Gillon McLachlan as head of the AFL, after rumours of a non-Victorian club campaign to keep the Richmond CEO from the top job.

Gale, who was appointed Tigers CEO back in 2009 before taking on the role of executive director in 2015, is one of the frontrunners to take over as AFL CEO - despite a reported campaign by Gold Coast Suns chief Tony Cochrane against the appointment.

It was reported this week Cochrane had made contact with each of the league’s non-Victorian clubs against Gale’s move as potential AFL CEO, but Matthews said the “highly unusual” move was news to him.

“I thought it was odd. It’s an odd thing to do. Clearly the appointment is the responsibility of the AFL Commission. If what was reported was accurate, I just found it very unusual,” he said on 3AW.

“Anybody who has observed Brendon Gale or seen what he’s been able to achieve knows he’s incredibly well respected.

“I thought it was highly unusual, if that’s what took place.”

It was rumoured Cochrane believed Gale was too Victorian-centric - even though he is a Tasmanian native.

Matthews said he hoped the new CEO would prioritise making the AFL a “national game” and wanted someone with “vision” to fill McLachlan’s shoes.

“The CEO of the AFL has got to be a great leader - got to be someone with vision,” he said.

“I just think Brendon’s been an outstanding leader - this is someone who has set the vision for Richmond and then delivered exactly on it.

“I think his track record is there for everyone to see.

“As someone sitting in Sydney, I still think there’s significant work for us to do to become the national game.”

When asked directly if he had any aspirations for the AFL’s top job, Matthews didn’t emphatically rule it out, but stated his commitment to the Giants moving forward.

“No, I don’t think that’s one to answer at the moment,” Matthews said when asked if he was interested in the CEO role.

“I’m absolutely loving being at the Giants and really enjoyed this challenge and having left the AFL executive to take it on, it’s been something that you become incredibly passionate about.

“Not just from a club point of view, but also what we are trying to achieve in Sydney.

“Clearly Gill’s done an outstanding job and I think there will be a strong field and strong candidates.

“Clearly Brendon Gale is somebody who’s one of the better leaders in the industry so he’d have to be strongly considered. Others will be, too.

“I haven’t really turned my mind to it, too much, at this stage.

“We’ve got a hell of a lot of work to do here.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/giants-boss-backs-rival-to-replace-afl-chief-amid-suns-highly-unusual-move/news-story/81872974e2c6fa2ba57dd1342a2cdfc6