Author Topic: Wright: Tigers will be a superpower  (Read 3402 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Wright: Tigers will be a superpower
« on: June 22, 2004, 02:26:11 AM »
22 June 2004   
Herald Sun
Mark Stevens

NEW Richmond chief executive Steven Wright has promised a searching review of the club's finances when he slips into the hot seat in mid-August.

Wright last night flagged a push to prune costs and embark on a long-term program to lift sponsorship and membership towards the levels of superpowers Collingwood and Essendon.

"I've got to identify possible areas of cost reduction," Wright said.

"That doesn't mean I'll be coming in and doing a slash and burn process.

"What I'll be doing with all the people at the club is a systematic review to get a detailed analysis of where we're at.

"I'm looking to work immediately on restoring the financial viability of the club."

The Tigers, heading for a loss of more than $2 million this year and 10,000 members short of the Magpies and Bombers, continue to underachieve.

President Clinton Casey has already raised the possibility of player payment cuts from 100 per cent of the salary cap this year to 97 per cent.

Wright, former boss of the Australian Grand Prix Corporation, has made it clear he is prepared to make tough decisions to help the Tigers regain their status.

"We should be one of the powerhouses – we've got a very passionate supporter base; we've got a great history; we've got a great song; we've got great colours," Wright said.

"All those values still stand – we need to take it and develop them further.

"We need to improve the performance and that's no secret – both on and off the field.

"There will be a thorough review – of the football department, marketing and administration process."

Asked to describe his style, Wright replied: "Detailed, hands-on operator who can work well within a team. When I need to make the tough decisions, I will".

Wright is helping his family set up a business in Cologne, Germany. The 39-year-old lifelong Tigers fan will start in the role at Punt Rd immediately on his return to the country.

He looks certain to arrive amid a backdrop of off-field instability, with rebel member Michael Pahoff pushing ahead with plans to force a mid-September emergency general meeting.

Wright has never met Pahoff and declined to comment on his controversial tactics.

"As chief executive officer, I don't think it's appropriate for me to get involved in the detailed politics of the club," Wright said. "(But) we need to work together for success – not dividing the club."

Several legends are rarely seen at Punt Rd and games record-holder Kevin Bartlett continues to snub the Tigers.

"I'm not putting any pressure on Kevin to do anything he doesn't want to do, but from a football club's perspective having the legend around is tremendous," said Wright, who attended a recent lunch honouring the Tigers' 1969 premiership team.

"Seeing Royce Hart, Michael Green and all those guys there was fantastic as they were my heroes growing up."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,9914584%255E20322,00.html
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Wright: Tigers will be a superpower
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2004, 02:51:27 AM »
Another Hun article heading just twisting a direct quote sightly: "Should be one of the powerhouses" ended up becoming "will be a superpower"  ::)

"There will be a thorough review – of the football department, marketing and administration process."

"When I need to make the tough decisions, I will".

Let's hope Steven keeps his word. The Club needs desperately people to make the tough and right decisions especially when it comes to the football department as we all know.

* Clean out of the coaching and recruiting staff. Only Miller to remain.

*A strict youth policy: I know I harp on this but finishing at or near bottom this year and next by playing the kids will allow us to pick up 10 high quality players (2 priority picks, 2 first rounders, 2 top 20 second rounders, 2 F/S = 3rd rounders, 2 PSD) within 18 months. And that's ignoring trades which would add a couple more to our list in that time (Gaspar,Chaffey,etc?) plus free up our salary cap.

* Cutting the TPP back to 97% of the salary cap and setting salaries scales based on our two best players - Brown (~ $375k) and Cogs (~$300k). No one else should come close from now on in terms of $$$ until they reach a similar consistent A-Grade performance level. Maximum 3 year contracts and only for A-Graders. 2 years for B-graders. Not sure how much that cut amounts to - if the salary cap is roughly $6.5 million then a 3% cut is a saving of ~$200,000.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Jackstar

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2004, 05:20:21 AM »
someone will correct me if I am wrong but to say to cut back costs ? Didnt we get rid of our marketing dept at the start of the year and this caused a big loss of revenue in sponorship and cotorie members.
If he wants advice,I will give it too him.
INCREASE REVENUE!
You will have to increase expenditure as well as Frawley isnt on that much($300,000) Good coaches like Wallace will cost double and its irrelevant if Gaspar stays or goes, we still have to pay the majority of his contract.
Isnt Gas still contracted to 2006? I feel sick ::)

froars

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2004, 06:10:55 AM »
I feel sick too just reading that headline - nice way to start off your career, but i just want to stay in existence at the moment, and then worry about being a superpower later.

They were talking about coaches pays on the radio last night - all the good ones were $1M+.  We don't want any more bargain basement dummies - don't know how we can afford a decent coach.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2004, 08:44:48 AM »
I would think that there will be automatic increase in revenue through membership with a change of coach. Depending on who it is - I reckon that 30,000 is a easily achievable.

If you were to get a Wallace I reckon 32-33,000 is realistic. That gives you an extra $900,000 in revenues.

Sponsorship and corporate support would follow along the same lines too - if you market the Club the right (Wright) way.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2004, 09:31:45 AM »
its irrelevant if Gaspar stays or goes, we still have to pay the majority of his contract.
Isnt Gas still contracted to 2006? I feel sick ::)

Yep Gas is contracted until 2006. But if he is traded and we still have to pay half it is still a big saving ($300K maybe). Coupled with Richo going on the veterans list in 2005 - we might be $600K ahead.

Offline Puntroadroar

• Premiership Captain
  • Our Very own Top Gun
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2004, 11:30:30 AM »
well done Herald sun another stupid headline !!!!

But as for Mr Wright..... for a few decades now Richmond have been very good of talking it up but not doing what they preach.

only time will tell.
There's no I in team, but there is 5 i's in Individual Brilliance.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2004, 12:57:23 PM »
Wright said "we need to work together for success – not dividing the club."

In the immortal words of Diggler (I just read one of his posts on BF) Hear, hear!

Offline Puntroadroar

• Premiership Captain
  • Our Very own Top Gun
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2004, 12:59:42 PM »
someone get diggler over here, he is the massier
There's no I in team, but there is 5 i's in Individual Brilliance.

Offline Struggletown

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2004, 01:58:13 PM »
I would think that there will be automatic increase in revenue through membership with a change of coach. Depending on who it is - I reckon that 30,000 is a easily achievable.

If you were to get a Wallace I reckon 32-33,000 is realistic. That gives you an extra $900,000 in revenues.

Sponsorship and corporate support would follow along the same lines too - if you market the Club the right (Wright) way.

Many people subscribe to your theory WP,however lm not so sure.
I believe many members will drop off because of the rabble basket case that we've become.
l also believe that the woodwork fans/members wont come out until we have SUSTAINED success.

I stress,lm not one of those fans,l'll buy my membership every year despite the Becks Frawleys and Caseys of this world 'til l die,but the non hardcore fans are the ones who need to be convinced to get back on board,and l doubt even a Sheedy(who we wont get) would flush out 10,000 fans into dipping into their pockets,let alone a Wallace or even Eade who would have no impact on membership IMO.

Results will be what determines our membership IMO
Drink,Drugs and Shagging models.
The rest l just wasted.
  George Best on where his millions went