Author Topic: Hardwick accused of ‘going off his head’ abusing Williamstown VFL players (HSun)  (Read 4521 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
AFL has said there's no case to answer. Hardwick in the clear.

Source: 7news.

Broadsword

According to sources close to AFL chief, Gillon McLachlan, the Williamstown VFL player involved in an altercation with Damien Hardwick over the weekend was indeed a "weak f*ckin pr*ck." Said McLachlan, "I'd like to unleash a can of whoopass on that fool!" Additionally, AFL House confirmed the gender identity of the closest umpire and Hardwick's preferred treatment for chronic backpain were not central to the investigation.

7news

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
According to sources close to AFL chief, Gillon McLachlan, the Williamstown VFL player involved in an altercation with Damien Hardwick over the weekend was indeed a "weak f*ckin pr*ck." Said McLachlan, "I'd like to unleash a can of whoopass on that fool!" Additionally, AFL House confirmed the gender identity of the closest umpire and Hardwick's preferred treatment for chronic backpain were not central to the investigation.

7news

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
'I've got to be better': Hardwick admits VFL spray overstepped mark

Damien Hardwick is unsure if the AFL will sanction him over a verbal altercation with opposition VFL players

By AAP
28 July 2022

TRIPLE premiership coach Damien Hardwick admits he overstepped the mark in an expletive-laden verbal spray of opposition players at Richmond's most recent VFL match.

Hardwick allegedly called Williamstown players "weak f***ing pricks" at quarter-time in the contest at Punt Road Oval last Saturday.

The blow-up followed an on-field incident between Tigers AFL-listed player Rhyan Mansell and the Seagulls' Darby Henderson, which led to a melee.

The AFL investigated the matter but decided against sanctioning Hardwick.

"I understand in my position I've got to be better than that," Hardwick told reporters on Thursday, speaking publicly for the first time since the incident.

"I've got to be probably judged to a higher standard, and I understand that.

"What I will ask is that (people remember) I am human.

"I'm going to make mistakes and there's no doubt that I overstepped the mark."

VFL match footage showed Mansell pushing Henderson over the boundary line into the fence during the opening quarter.

Henderson retaliated, appearing to strike Mansell with an elbow to the back from behind, knocking his opponent to the ground.

The contact left Mansell clutching at his back and a melee ensued before he took his free kick.

Hardwick, who was watching from the sidelines, got involved at the break in play but refused on Thursday to confirm what he said to the Williamstown players.

"The reality is I'm very passionate about my players and always have been and always will be," Hardwick said.

"But as I said, I made a mistake, and the reality is I'm going to make mistakes going forward.

"Hopefully not too many, but I'll always defend my players, you guys know that.

"I probably didn't need to lean over the fence and yell but that's me.

"What makes me good makes me bad."

Hardwick has not yet apologised to the Williamstown players.

"If they require that, I'll certainly do that," he said.

Hardwick, who will take part in his 500th competitive AFL match as player or coach in Richmond's clash with Brisbane on Sunday, assisted the League in its investigation into the VFL incident.

"Damien assisted us with our enquiries, and in response he understands his standing in the community as a senior AFL coach and acknowledged if he had his time again he wouldn’t have acted in that manner," the League said in a statement.

"No further action will be taken by the AFL."

https://www.afl.com.au/news/807661/-i-ve-got-to-be-better-hardwick-admits-vfl-spray-overstepped-mark

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
While Hardwick has not been sanctioned by Richmond or the AFL, he said his mum let him know he’d misbehaved.

“Not from the AFL but my mum Pam, who gave me a very stern reminder about my behaviour,” he said.

“It‘s funny how you’re still scared of your mother at the age of 49.

“But look, the AFL asked for some clarification and we gave them that … they sought clarification, so whether that’s an investigation (or not), they haven’t spoken to me.

“I can’t control that, all I do know is I’m very passionate about my players.”

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/afl-2022-richmond-coach-damien-hardwick-admits-to-overstepping-in-abusing-vfl-player/news-story/8a0b8c58bc41f487778b1a1942c35e26

Online JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
The ‘other’ Mrs Hardwick ….    ;D
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
"It's just not good enough."

Caro's arrow for Damien Hardwick, over his 'half-hearted apology' for his behaviour at a VFL match recently.

#9FootyClassified

https://twitter.com/FootyonNine/status/1554091392451969027

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Caroline Wilson grills Richmond coach Damien Hardwick's 'half-hearted' apology for VFL spray

By Chris De Silva
Nine
2 August 2022

Veteran AFL columnist Caroline Wilson has taken Richmond coach Damien Hardwick to task over what she deems a "half-hearted" apology for his spray at a VFL player.

Hardwick found himself in hot water last week after an incident at Richmond's clash with Williamstown where he had some choice words for Williamstown player Darby Henderson after a hit on young Tiger Rhyan Mansell.

The three-time premiership-winning coach later apologised for his actions, saying "what makes me good makes me bad", and it did not sit well with Wilson.

"Damien Hardwick is not the first AFL coach to behave badly at the footy and then make a half-hearted apology, but that doesn't excuse the Richmond coach's disappointing effort five days ago," she told Nine's Footy Classified.

"Damien's abusive tirade aimed at Williamstown's Darby Henderson did have a touch of the Alastair Clarksons about it. And like Clarko before him and Mick Malthouse and Luke Beveridge, he also demonstrated an unwillingness to take full responsibility.

"'What makes me good makes me bad', he said, 'I need to be better', and again, to soften the blow, he issued the spirit of a woman in the family, his mother Pam now seems to be the new Mrs Hardwick.

"But Damien, as a national sporting leader, a renowned and champion statesman of the game, we do hold you to a higher standard, and you do need to be better.

"No one expects perfection, but on this occasion an unmitigated apology would've been a lot better. 'Oh my mum got mad at me and I'm still scared of my mum'. I mean who is he? Scott Morrison? Seriously, that was not good enough.

"People need to properly apologise. He's been told he had to apologise, he should've either refused or not apologised."

Wilson's view wasn't shared by Port Adelaide great Kane Cornes, who said he felt the Tigers coach was sincere in his words.

"It's a harsh one. I think you're being a bit hard on him," he said in response to Wilson's segment on the show, Caro's Arrow.

"What more did you need from his apology there? I think you're being harsh. That was not a serious offence. I took that as a heartfelt apology."

Wilson, who is an avid Richmond supporter, was then questioned by Essendon great Matthew Lloyd on whether she was "past" Hardwick being the coach at the club.

"I separate Damien Hardwick the coach and some of the other stuff," she said in response.

"Like Alastair, he was a champion coach and did some terrible things in bad behaviour off the field, Luke Beveridge we know, as well, it's just not good enough.

"Apologies make the world go around and you want to set examples for young people on how they should behave."

https://wwos.nine.com.au/afl/news-2022-caroline-wilson-grills-damien-hardwick-apology-over-vfl-spray/d233ef08-cf2d-4570-9722-2f7b9b04a37e

Online Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
Where’s Caros apology for being a grumpy old bag and often reporting BS as fact?

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
Where’s Caros apology for being a grumpy old bag and often reporting BS as fact?

:snidegrin :snidegrin :snidegrin
 :bow :bow :bow

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
She's hardly any better than Cornbread

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
I must confess the line about ScoMo had me doing this

:rollin

:jump

:thatsgold

Very funny indeed. As for her overall rant I take it with a grain of salt. She's had it in for him since his marriage breakdown, so she is clearly biased
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Broadsword

He bulldozes through interviews like ScoMo after a loss, that's for sure.

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!

More like Albo lol .. whenever he got asked something he didn't like in the election leadup he would act like a petulant child

Broadsword

More like Albo lol .. whenever he got asked something he didn't like in the election leadup he would act like a petulant child
I know it's unrelated, but I have to say I thought his strategy of not releasing costings until the day before the election and then sending the press pack to Canberra while he went in the opposite direction to avoid questions was pure genius.

Only in politics. :)