Author Topic: Cornes & King discuss the next steps in Richmond's rebuild (SEN)  (Read 219 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
CORNES AND KING DISCUSS THE NEXT STEPS IN RICHMOND’S REBUILD

Lachlan Geleit
SEN
26 April 2024

What is Richmond’s next step in their rebuild?

That was the question on the mind of Kane Cornes and SEN Breakfast co-host David King after the Tigers slumped to 1-6 after their 42-85 loss to Melbourne on Anzac Eve.

While Richmond tried to rebuild on the run following their premiership successes by adding the likes of Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper via trade, both Cornes and King think that the club now needs to hit the pointy end of the draft hard to acquire top-level young talent.

The duo discussed how Richmond does that and the futures of out-of-contract utility Liam Baker, free agent Dustin Martin and other ways that they could manoeuvre to get those picks, including trading players that hold value.

Cornes thinks that the Tigers can no longer look at their list as a short-term proposition and should instead look at five years down the line when they may enter premiership contention again.

Cornes: “What do you do? … Can you finish as low as possible without suggesting that you're gonna tank to try and get a pick one or two?

“That's the discussions that Richmond now must have, don't they?”

King: “You can't have this discussion in hindsight. So what do you do? This is the old discussion.

“So everyone says, ‘Oh, you know Sam Mitchell cut too hard. This is going to be a 10-year rebuild’. Others say, ‘Oh, Adam Simpson is too loyal to these older blokes and should have got second-round picks for them’.

“So, what do you do?”

Cornes: “Well, the first point is Liam Baker will make his call. So that will be taken out of their hands.

“If he wants to go, he'll go. You offer him the contract. Clearly, you would love to keep him … but he's going to make that call.

“So then you do the best that you possibly can out of that (if he leaves).

“The Dustin Martin one is the really interesting one. He doesn't look as motivated as he has been in the past.

“You want to be really clear with him, ‘Are you prepared to put yourself through another pre-season and play in a side that is essentially rebuilding?’. Or, ‘Is this the right time to have the biggest victory lap you can have? Play your game 300, we’ll send you off in the way that you deserve to be sent off’. That's what I would be doing with Dustin.

“Is he helping them? Is he a Dyson Heppell type that you want in there showing leadership, rocking up to training, giving it absolutely everything, and setting a great example for all these young players that are going to be there?

“You've got to ask him that.”

King: “All that might be correct.

“But how do they get the glut of first-round picks that are needed? The absolute high-end first-round picks that are needed to give you any chance of coming out of a rebuild phase.”

Cornes: “So you look at who's got currency and who is potentially going to give you that. Dan Rioli has been spoken about - is he one that's going to give you a first-round pick? You have to look at that.

“You maximise what you can get for Baker. West Coast and Fremantle are stacked with picks.

“We don't need to be seeing (Marlion) Pickett and (Nathan) Broad and these players getting games over young players … like why are you playing Sam Naismith over Tyler Sonsie?

“That's just bizarre to me.”

King: “Let's talk about the rebuild phase, which I think is the toughest phase of the lot, how do you actually set for a rebuild? Do you purge rather than support?”

Cornes: “I'd purge as much as you can because you've got to look at it as a five to six-year window.

“It's not, ‘How do we get better?’, that’s not the discussion for Richmond.

“It’s, ‘We win four games this year, we get a top pick, then we trade a couple out, we get more picks and then you build and you play those games together over a five-year period’, that's the discussion they need to have.

“It's not going to be a rebound quickly up the ladder for Richmond … it’s going to be punishing.

“All Richmond fans can cop it because they've had the success and everyone would love to be in their position that they've seen that success in the last seven years it's been a great ride for them.

“Now it's about a bit of pain and enduring that.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/04/26/cornes-and-king-discuss-the-next-steps-in-richmonds-rebuild/

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Cornes & King discuss the next steps in Richmond's rebuild (SEN)
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 11:24:56 AM »
like why are you playing Sam Naismith over Tyler Sonsie?

great call
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline FooffooValve

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 11:32:42 AM »

great call

Maybe because all our talls are injured?

Question should have been why are you playing Naismith over Ryan? That would actually make sense Corn.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 11:39:21 AM »
He makes plenty of good points.

Only thing I would disagree with is trading D Rioli and I'm happy for broad to be in the side at the moment.

I'd be looking to trade Short and Graham. Baker if the right deal comes along.

Dusty looks finished to me.

Dusty, Lynch, Prestia, Grimes, Pickett, KMac, Broad all likely finished by the end of '25 so we are looking at $4.5mil cap space over two years.

Time to load up on picks and find 2 gun FAs.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 01:26:04 PM »

great call

Question should have been why are you playing Naismith over Ryan? That would actually make sense Corn.

:clapping

Asking why a 206cm ruckman is playing ahead of a 181cm mid/HF is a silly question.

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 05:51:13 PM »
a 206 cm ruckman that is passed his use by date.

Not that stupid actually. Gawn dominated with 2 ruckman, and by some margin as well may i add.

Sonsie should have played with his form especially. Kane is spot on.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 06:02:20 PM »
LMAO at posters acknowledging what a known richmond troll is saying about our list rebuild. Why don’t you wipe his bum too ya pack of sycophants!   :lol
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 06:08:27 PM »

great call

:clapping

Asking why a 206cm ruckman is playing ahead of a 181cm mid/HF is a silly question.

Nank has gone largely solo against Gawn in the past with someone like Balta to relieve when Gawn isn't rucking and he's been serviceable.

The problem was that Naismith was probably always going to be useless unless he was rucking.

Should have played Ryan or just conceded the ruck when Nank was resting and played another mid.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 08:40:31 PM »
a 206 cm ruckman that is passed his use by date.

Not that stupid actually. Gawn dominated with 2 ruckman, and by some margin as well may i add.

Sonsie should have played with his form especially. Kane is spot on.

If Cornes had asked why is Pickett or McIntosh playing ahead of Sonsie, then I'd say he's right

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)