Author Topic: 2023 - Best 22  (Read 15786 times)

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
Re: 2023 - Best 22
« Reply #150 on: February 05, 2023, 07:20:47 PM »
Bored so will give this a crack off the top of my head

B: Grimes, Tarrant, Short
HB: D Rioli, Balta, Vlastuin
C: Mcintosh, Tarranto, Pickett
HF: Bolton, Riewoldt, MRJ
FF: Cumberland, Lynch, Dusty Martin
FOL: Nankervis, Hopper, Prestia
INT: Sonsie, Broad, Baker, Cotchin
Sub: Ross
Emergencies: Graham, Miller, Mansell, Soldo

Last spot is very difficult.

Ideally I'd have Miller in as 2nd ruck, but I think we have enough tall depth in the line up to cover down back to allow Balta to pinch hit in the ruck when Nank needs a spell.

Sub could be anyone. If either Graham or Ross perform to a high standard in the pre-season games I could see them in the 22 outright but on paper right now it's either of them as sub. Went with Ross due to finishing 2022 really well.

Plenty of kids like Hugo, Clarke, Banks, Brown etc that could surprise and earn a spot too. Really haven't seen enough of the latter 3 to have much of an opinion at this stage though.
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #151 on: February 05, 2023, 07:22:26 PM »
Then there's Gibcus to come back into consideration when he's fit again.

stuff we'll be a good side if we're injury free
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #152 on: February 05, 2023, 08:54:12 PM »
Then there's Gibcus to come back into consideration when he's fit again.

stuff we'll be a good side if we're injury free

Pretty much the team I’d name except Miller in for Ross to play the second ruck role. On top of that I like the versatility that he provides us as he can fill in as a KP in either defence or attack if one of our talls goes down or if the matchup suits.

Then Sonsie as the sub at least to start the season but if he continues as he was at the end of last season, that won’t last long.

Also based on pre-season training looks like baker will play down back and short will play in the midfield even though I agree with you that it should be the other way round.

Online FooffooValve

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #153 on: February 06, 2023, 05:06:44 PM »
Is there definitely a sub this season? Or just 5 on the bench?

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #154 on: February 06, 2023, 07:01:10 PM »
Is there definitely a sub this season? Or just 5 on the bench?

5th spot on the bench is a sub. Doesn’t have to have replace an injured player though, can come on at anytime at the coaches discretion.

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #155 on: February 13, 2023, 01:42:59 PM »
According to SEN.

RICHMOND’S BEST 22 FOR THE 2023 SEASON

By Andrew Slevison
SEN
13 February

Richmond returned to finals in 2022, falling agonisingly short in an Elimination Final against Brisbane.

Ahead of the 2023 season, they addressed their issues in midfield and now have a much deeper side on paper and one equipped to push for September action again.

The Tigers are being tipped by many to be a genuine threat this year, but how will this improved team work?

Defenders

Richmond’s defence is in fairly good order with multiple key options, some quality smalls and plenty of depth.

Veteran Robbie Tarrant and the emerging Noah Balta hold down the key positions with co-captain Dylan Grimes and Nick Vlastuin assuming the third tall and intercept roles.

Nathan Broad provides flexibility in that he can play a floating, intercept role or take a tighter, one on one job.

Daniel Rioli is the club’s premier rebounder while the versatile Liam Baker, who can go forward or roll through the midfield, is a strong lockdown option when required.

Jayden Short spent plenty of time in the middle last year but could revert to his old half-back role now the on-ball brigade has been bolstered.

Josh Gibcus, who is currently sidelined by a hamstring injury, will also be a central defensive figure once he returns.

Hugo Ralphsmith, who appears the likely sub, can act as a rebounding small if needed. He can also play on the wing.

Midfielders

The cavalry has arrived to make Richmond’s midfield unit much stronger than it was in 2022.

Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper have bolstered the engine room, bring with them traits of class and hardness while providing a serious inside presence.

Dustin Martin and Taranto could perhaps wax as on-ballers who can also impact inside forward 50. Martin is primed to bounce back after struggling for various reasons in 2022.

Dion Prestia remains the club’s most important midfielder and now gets the help he needs and former skipper Trent Cotchin can play a more impactful role in fits and spurts as he enters his twilight stages.

Joint skipper Toby Nankervis is the clear number one ruckman. The burning question is if Damien Hardwick will opt to play a second tall to ease the burden.

Ben Miller was effective as a mobile second ruck late last season and Ivan Soldo is the other obvious choice.

Kamdyn McIntosh and Marlion Pickett have earned the right to be the starting wingers after solid 2022 seasons. Their two-way running and ability in the air make them both key players in the midfield unit.

Shai Bolton will go through the guts when he’s not terrorising defences, Baker can pinch-hit if the situation arises and Short showed he is capable in the middle last year

It is a toss up between Jack Graham and Tyler Sonsie for the final spot on the bench with the latter narrowly nabbing that slot mainly due to his upside.

Graham could be considered stiff to miss, along with Jack Ross, but somebody has to make way for Taranto and Hopper.

Forwards

The attack will again be led by Tom Lynch and Jack Riewoldt.

The pair kicked 103 goals between them last year and when on song together are very hard to stop. Lynch was a colossus in 2022.

Shai Bolton possesses the attributes to create havoc at their feet but is also a major threat in the air. He can at times make the ridiculous look simple.

After booting 40 goals in 2022, he could hold the key to the Tigers’ hopes in 2023.

Noah Cumberland was a revelation last year, returning 19 goals in nine games - including a bag of five - and has to be considered as a starter.

Maurice Rioli should be given the chance to play the out and out crumbing role. His defensive efforts as a small forward were unparalleled league-wide in 2022.

Martin is expected to again spend plenty of time forward and can be a weapon when left isolated. He will be a central figure of the midfield-forward rotation.

Cotchin could also spend time forward, much to the chagrin of Kane Cornes.

Questions

There are some selection headaches for Hardwick.

What happens in defence when Gibcus is fit? Can you play him, Tarrant, Balta, Grimes and Vlastuin together?

Does someone provide relief for Nankervis? Is it Miller or Soldo? Or is it a one-ruck team with help from talls in defence and attack?

Which midfielder(s) do they go with now the Giants pair have arrived? Sonsie? Graham? Ross? Thomson Dow?

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/02/12/richmonds-best-22-for-the-2023-season/

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #156 on: February 13, 2023, 03:00:50 PM »
Questions

What happens in defence when Gibcus is fit? Can you play him, Tarrant, Balta, Grimes and Vlastuin together?

Does someone provide relief for Nankervis? Is it Miller or Soldo? Or is it a one-ruck team with help from talls in defence and attack?

Which midfielder(s) do they go with now the Giants pair have arrived? Sonsie? Graham? Ross? Thomson Dow?

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/02/12/richmonds-best-22-for-the-2023-season/
1. I would say no. Gibcus played last year because we were trying to turn Balta into a forward. With Noah now back in defence where he should be, then there's no spot for Gibbo unless there's an injury or a drop in form by any of the others. Even against Carlton who play tall, a better and more flexible option would be to have Miller in our 23.

2. Miller in the starting 22 as 2nd ruck. His handiness comes into play if the opposition ruck pushes forward after the centrebounce as Miller can follow him into defence without the need of swapping over opponents on transition. The Dees will no doubt be trying this by rotating Gawn and Grundy.

3. Sonsie would be first choice. Then it's either Ross or Graham depending on whether we need a tagger (please put a tagger on Neale next time Dimma!). 
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #157 on: February 13, 2023, 05:16:33 PM »
Where does your new draftees and recruits fit in your club's best 22

Aidan Cellini
sportingnews.com
13 February 2023

Richmond's best 22

FB   Nick Vlastuin   Robbie Tarrant   Dylan Grimes
HB   Daniel Rioli   Josh Gibcus   Nathan Broad
C   Jayden Short   Dion Prestia   Kamdyn McIntosh
HF   Liam Baker   Jack Riewoldt   Shai Bolton
FF   Dustin Martin   Tom Lynch   Jason Castagna
R   Toby Nankervis   Tim Taranto   Jacob Hopper
Interchange   Trent Cotchin   Noah Balta   Hugo Ralphsmith     Maurice Rioli
SUB   Noah Cumberland

IN: Tim Taranto, Jacob Hopper, Kaleb Smith, Steely Green, Seth Campbell, Tylar Young

OUT: Josh Caddy, Kane Lambert, Shane Edwards, Matthew Parker, Sydney Stack, Jake Aarts, Riley Collier-Dawkins, Will Martyn

ANALYSIS: GWS duo Taranto and Hopper will add a lot of midfield strength that will allow Dustin Martin and Shai Bolton to play more forward of the ball.

Expect Damien Hardwick to throw a few names through the centre.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/other/afl-2023-where-does-your-new-draftees-and-recruits-fit-in-your-club-s-best-22/ar-AA14Wy3I

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #158 on: February 17, 2023, 05:05:17 AM »
RICHMOND’S PREDICTED ROUND 1 LINE-UP: TARANTO & HOPPER INTO THE MIDFIELD MIX

By Honeyball Staff Writer
honeyball.com.au

Richmond have not been the most AFL Fantasy or SuperCoach relevant side in recent years but the off-season additions of Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper brings them back into the picture in a big way in 2023.

Mid-time is going to be the key for Taranto and Hopper to offer genuine upside on their starting prices, but we know the Tigers have traditionally not been a high-scoring AFL Fantasy or SuperCoach unit, so there’s a bit to ponder.

Richmond supporter and seasoned SuperCoach gun The SC Bull runs us through his predicted Round 1 line-up for the Tigers.

Defence

Dylan Grimes returns from injury for Round 1, however Josh Gibcus will miss with his injury. I have an eye on Jayden Short, who will switch between the midfield and defence. Could be a DPP option. Nick Vlastuin should be right for Round 1 despite a pre-season ribs issue.

Robbie Tarrant   Noah Balta   Nathan Broad
Nick Vlastuin   Dylan Grimes   Daniel Rioli

Midfield

Taranto and Hopper slot straight into Richmond’s best 22, and starting midfield core. Suspect them to play bulk minutes and rest forward when Dustin Martin and Trent Cotchin rotate. BUY BUY BUY!

Kamdyn McIntosh   Tim Taranto   Jayden Short
Toby Nankervis   Dion Prestia   Jacob Hopper

Forward

Dusty is back, but from reports will spend more time forward. Whilst we know how damaging he can be, he’s a watch this space. Definitely can’t go wrong if you’re looking for a POD – a juicy $677k (AF)/ $480k (SC). Tom Lynch is a bit behind in pre-season due to a plantar fascia problem but word is he’ll be fit for Round 1.

Shai Bolton   Jack Riewoldt   Maurice Rioli Jnr
Dustin Martin   Tom Lynch   Noah Cumberland

Bench

Some unlucky Tigers to miss out, but the strong best 18 is rounded out by five on the bench. Sixteen premiership players is nothing to sneeze at! Other names to keep an eye on include – Sam Banks, Tom Brown, Judson Clarke, Jack Graham, Samson Ryan, Tyler Sonsie, and the potential signing of Quinton Narkle.

Ben Miller   Liam Baker   Trent Cotchin   Marlion Pickett   

Sub – Hugo Ralphsmith   

https://honeyball.com.au/2023/01/30/richmonds-predicted-round-1-line-up-taranto-hopper-into-the-midfield-mix/

Online the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #159 on: February 17, 2023, 03:49:23 PM »
more interested with the magoos atm.

FB: Young - Nyuon - Mansell
HB: Smith - Gibcus - Brown.

C: Banks - Graham - R/Smith
R: Soldo - Ross - Dow

HF: Campbell - Bauer - Clarke
FF: Ryan - Bradtke - Castagna

Int: Green - Colina -

While the spine and tall structure is much improved the lack of big mids actually playing in the two's and being developed is scary.
There is only Ross who has hardly been played as a mid and Graham while not very tall at least is big bodied and its similar for him in regards to playing onball. The only other genuine on ballers are Dow and Green both are not what you would call big mids.

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #160 on: February 21, 2023, 04:04:53 PM »

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #161 on: February 21, 2023, 06:51:49 PM »
Once again no second ruck…… Miller for Graham and that’s bang on.

Online the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #162 on: February 22, 2023, 03:32:06 PM »
Hmm best 22 well realistically there would only be 27 or 28 players to pick from at this point in time.

Online the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #163 on: February 23, 2023, 07:16:09 PM »
Still cannot work out how Broad is on the bench Only Tarrant spent more time on the field than Nathan last year

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #164 on: February 24, 2023, 01:01:11 AM »
Who is named starting on the bench does not matter one iota and hasn’t done so for a longgggg time