Author Topic: 2023 - Best 22  (Read 15778 times)

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: 2023 - Best 22
« Reply #165 on: February 24, 2023, 04:17:02 PM »
Yeah agree but it just annoys me he is starting back 6 is a key member of the backline and rarely comes off the ground.Nothing wrong with being accurate. Putting him on the bench implies he is not integral.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #166 on: February 24, 2023, 10:32:30 PM »
Yeah agree but it just annoys me he is starting back 6 is a key member of the backline and rarely comes off the ground.Nothing wrong with being accurate. Putting him on the bench implies he is not integral.
Under Dimma, we've played some kind of a 7-man defence (except for the 6-6-6 at centrebounces). The old school team sheets that are still used don't allow for this. So you have to plonk the extra defender's name on the bench. Broad is often the one because he's a utility type.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #167 on: February 26, 2023, 12:46:53 PM »
Usually we have had a third wing type who plays back behind centre and is nothing more than an outlet player. Jayden Short comes to mind.
Bottom line is Broad is an integral part of the back line and really is a part of the old school back 6.
A utility player is a player who can and does play in all areas of the ground. Broad plays defense almost exclusively. Broad is a flexable defender in that he can play on tall fwds medium and small fwds and provide run with it. He does all that as a defender.

Sorry to say he should be named in the team where he plays and in some ways be shown the respect he deserves for the job he does.I know its a bit petty but it does irk me that we cannot accurately pick players where they play.

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #168 on: February 26, 2023, 02:59:13 PM »
It ain’t that deep claw.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #169 on: February 26, 2023, 04:54:15 PM »
Usually we have had a third wing type who plays back behind centre and is nothing more than an outlet player. Jayden Short comes to mind.
Bottom line is Broad is an integral part of the back line and really is a part of the old school back 6.
A utility player is a player who can and does play in all areas of the ground. Broad plays defense almost exclusively. Broad is a flexable defender in that he can play on tall fwds medium and small fwds and provide run with it. He does all that as a defender.

Sorry to say he should be named in the team where he plays and in some ways be shown the respect he deserves for the job he does.I know its a bit petty but it does irk me that we cannot accurately pick players where they play.
He's a three-time premiership player, so I'd doubt he would care where he is named on the teamsheet as long as he is in the team.

Who would name as your back six and who would you leave out for Broad, Claw?

Mine would be:
B:    Vlastuin    Tarrant     Grimes
HB:  D.Rioli       Balta       Baker
7th defender: Broad

You could argue Baker can and does at times play elsewhere but Broad isn't a running rebounding half-back flanker. Grimes is probably the closest to Broad in terms of roles (difference would be Broad can push higher up to the wing whereas Grimes plays deep defence) but Grimes has been a staple in our backline for a decade.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #170 on: February 26, 2023, 08:04:33 PM »

He's a three-time premiership player, so I'd doubt he would care where he is named on the teamsheet as long as he is in the team.

Who would name as your back six and who would you leave out for Broad, Claw?

Mine would be:
B:    Vlastuin    Tarrant     Grimes
HB:  D.Rioli       Balta       Baker
7th defender: Broad

You could argue Baker can and does at times play elsewhere but Broad isn't a running rebounding half-back flanker. Grimes is probably the closest to Broad in terms of roles (difference would be Broad can push higher up to the wing whereas Grimes plays deep defence) but Grimes has been a staple in our backline for a decade.

I would argue strongly that Broad very much provides both run and rebound and also defends all types of opposition players both deep in defence and further up the ground. Like Grimes Broad has been a staple in our backline ever since 2016.
Last year Broad had 120 rebounds more than any other tiger. He took 140 marks more than any other tiger and he was third for 1% ers
Behind only key backs in Tarrant and Gibcus. On that alone he would be the first bloke picked every week in the back half.

I dont view either Baker or Short as defenders but outlet players especially Short.

My back 6 is

Vlastuin - Tarrant - Grimes
Broad - Balta - Rioli

7TH Defender Short if thats what you want to call him.

Edit: quoting tags fixed.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 05:34:10 PM by the claw »

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #171 on: March 05, 2023, 01:47:59 PM »
Hmm after the melbourne practice game rnd 1 id be looking at something like this given injuries to Tarrant  Gibcus.

FB/ Vlastuin - Miller - Grimes
HB/ Rioli - Balta - Broad

C/ Pickett - Hopper - Ralphsmith/Banks/Brown/McIntosh.
R/ Nankervis - Taranto - Prestia

HF/ Bolton - Lynch - Sonsie
FF/ Ryan - Riewoldt - Cumberland

INT from / Martin - Cotchin - Baker - Ross - Graham - Clarke - Campbell - MRJ - Ralphsmith.

No Tarrant in comes Miller to f/b. Just looking for rangy  better ball users and skills for McIntosh's wing though its pretty clear they won't drop Kamdyn because to drop him you have to acknowledge there are problems with his game.

Onballers pick themselves best ruck best medium mid and best small mid all who can win ball for themselves if need be.

Sonsie well people talk about the Lambert role well this kid has it imo. One of the better kicks and skilled players we have and boy do we need more of that type.Bolton well he is our best small fwd but will be a big part of midfield rotations.

Huge concerns about Riewoldt's ability to compete in the air so went with Ryan as the fwd/ruck option we need more than just Lynch as an aerial prescence.This would be Miller's job if Tarrant manages to get up.

Bench is long but the first three pick themselves. Martin and Cotchin are pivotal mids and will spend most of their time there. Of course Dusty will go forward at times but i think he needs to play mostly mid to free himself up. He is the one that allows us to change it down by resting one of the big fwds.
 Our two aged champion mids need looking after especially Cotchin who  will play between the midfield and Bench thus looking after his  old body.
Baker well the 7th defender if you like, personally i prefer him as a mid.
Then its a lottery Mrj is here he looked way out of sorts and if its a small fwd to be picked id say Clarke is in front of him atm. Clarke could also play a running mid role for us.
No Short im sorry but i dont see a role for him. If McIntosh plays wing then im looking at one of Ralphsmith Banks or Brown bigger running players who are hopefully not so outside. Besides its time to get some games into these kids. Of course Ross and Graham would be in the picture as well

Its a long bench

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #172 on: March 05, 2023, 04:47:05 PM »
Short, McIntosh, Rioli Jnr should be no certainties.  Cotchin to play mid for bit over a half then get subbed out.