Author Topic: Peggy O'Neal's final column to RFC members  (Read 1493 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Peggy O'Neal's final column to RFC members
« on: December 16, 2022, 01:36:28 PM »
Club email. Also on the RFC website.

From the President: December, 2022

In her final column, Richmond President Peggy O’Neal provides an update for members and supporters ahead of next week's Club Annual General Meeting.

By Peggy O'Neal
16 December 2022

Dear Members and Supporters,

Writing my final column as President of this Club, I find myself reflecting on how much we have achieved in the past decade. I do so with an enormous sense of pride.

And I say “we” because it is the collective that has delivered so much. And it is the collective that will do so into the future. Sustained success is built on these foundations.

This game we play, this Club we love, is in a state of perpetual motion. All of us – board members, players and staff, members and supporters – are part of it for a moment in time and we all aim to leave it in better shape than we found it for future generations.

The collective commitment is the foundation which has delivered AFL premierships, an excellent AFLW program, a strong business and a diverse and inclusive football club that engenders a sense of belonging among all who are a part of it.

The role of the powerful Tiger Army has been profound and will continue to be our source of strength.

Our surge in membership enabled our Club to invest in football so we could compete and win. All of you stood with us through the Covid pandemic and the uncertain 2020 and 2021 seasons. You members protect the Club, and inspire those within it. 

If you can, please continue to purchase a membership and help keep us financially sound.

I want to acknowledge John O’Rourke who will be taking over the role of President following the 19 December AGM.

John is a highly experienced director and has been on our board since 2015. John has outstanding business acumen and I know that he will do a wonderful job. With his background in developing major projects around the world, he will bring expertise of particular importance as we get the Punt Road redevelopment underway.

John will of course be supported by a passionate, talented and committed Board of directors that want to see this Club continue to thrive on and off the field.

It is most pleasing that John’s move to the presidency - and the evolution of the Board more broadly in recent times – has been managed with a minimum of fuss. We value stability and I would hope this continues to be the “Richmond way” long into the future.

Some questions have been sent to the Club recently that I am happy to address.

The first question asks what progress the Club has made in convincing the AFL to schedule all Richmond home games at the MCG?

The Club always requests its home games be played at the MCG. Unfortunately, due to the vagaries of the fixture, and the need to meet contractual requirements at Marvel Stadium, the AFL has been unable to deliver our desired outcome. Rest assured the Club will continue to request that all its home games be played at the MCG.

The second question asks if the Board would consider running its AGM late mornings, instead of in the evenings, in-line with top-listed ASX organisations?

We hold our Annual General Meetings in the early evening as we believe it gives us the best chance of getting as many members as possible to attend in person. It is an important night on the Club’s calendar, and an evening event makes it more accessible. It will be a hybrid meeting this year and we hope that many members will join us online as they have in 2020 and 2021 when we couldn't gather in person.

A third question asked if the Club website could include our executive team and each of their backgrounds?

I think that is something we could certainly include on the website. We will action this in the New Year.

Before I finish, I would like to acknowledge the support of all those that have served on the Board during my tenure. I thank each of them for their contribution to making the Club what it is today.

I would also like to thank CEO Brendon Gale, the staff, coaches and players for their dedication to making the Club the best organisation on and off the field.

I have been honoured to serve as your president for the past nine years.  I have had a wonderful time and I hope that you have too.  Thanks to all of you who have taken the time to tell me your stories about what the Club means to you; I enjoyed them all.

Finally, it is farewell, not goodbye. I look forward to seeing you all at the football.

Go Tiges!

Peggy O'Neal
President
Richmond Football Club

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1258904/from-the-president-december-2022
« Last Edit: December 16, 2022, 01:59:50 PM by one-eyed »

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Peggy O'Neal's final column to RFC members
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2022, 02:15:45 PM »
Thank you Peggy

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2022, 02:20:28 PM »
What a president  :bow does any one know anything about the incoming John O’Rourke  ?.

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2022, 02:33:26 PM »
So we are a collective

I would therefore like to meet 7 of 9

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2022, 05:44:19 PM »
Me too.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2022, 08:59:04 PM »
The first question asks what progress the Club has made in convincing the AFL to schedule all Richmond home games at the MCG?

The Club always requests its home games be played at the MCG. Unfortunately, due to the vagaries of the fixture, and the need to meet contractual requirements at Marvel Stadium, the AFL has been unable to deliver our desired outcome. Rest assured the Club will continue to request that all its home games be played at the MCG.

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1258904/from-the-president-december-2022
The AFL are able to deliver it; they just won't  :thumbsdown. Contractual requirements shouldn't be an issue now that the AFL owns the stadium outright. As much as it sucks playing home games at Docklands, the only way we are going to change it is by the Tiger Army swamping the place and forcing a lockout of our own supporters.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2022, 02:11:58 AM »
Never got the big deal about this. Would it be great if we had all gone games at the MCG? Sure, but it’s only 1 game and all MCG tenants have to do it. I get the reasoning doesn’t really add up since the AFL own the thing but maybe it’s the major sponsor i.e. marvel that enforce it? Either way there’s a fair few more important things to fight the afl on lol

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2022, 02:52:04 PM »
Never got the big deal about this. Would it be great if we had all gone games at the MCG? Sure, but it’s only 1 game and all MCG tenants have to do it. I get the reasoning doesn’t really add up since the AFL own the thing but maybe it’s the major sponsor i.e. marvel that enforce it? Either way there’s a fair few more important things to fight the afl on lol
True, we do currently have a few battles going on with the AFL apart from this: the biased free kick count, the ARC, Stand Rule, the $1.6m cut in dividend, etc ...  and we certainly won't be on their Christmas list  :P.

However, that shouldn't stop us fighting for our right to play all our home games at our home ground just as the interstate clubs get that right. No club should be forced to give up their home ground advantage and we should not be forced to play an opposition that plays at Docklands more than we do. This can't be about maximising crowds either as we have got 30k+ both times against the Suns at the 'G (last time 6 years ago  ::) ), yet we got bagged for hardly anyone showing up when we last played them at Docklands. That's a financial hit to our coffers as well so it's not just about the principle. The AFL just makes it up as they go along when they fixture us vs Gold Coast at Docklands, Carlton vs Gold Coast at the 'G, and Carlton (home game) against St Kilda at Marvel :huh3.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2022, 09:08:11 PM »
Peggy, class act, really bought the club together

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2022, 11:29:10 PM »
The equal credit for me goes to Gary March, as he saw Peggy’s talent and as the person to bring two factions together .
I hope Gary March feels the appreciation as to me he deserves equal billing with Peggy as he was the main main architect to bring out of the wilderness
A mention to the hard work of Cameron and of course Benny too

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2022, 10:20:23 AM »
The equal credit for me goes to Gary March, as he saw Peggy’s talent and as the person to bring two factions together .
I hope Gary March feels the appreciation as to me he deserves equal billing with Peggy as he was the main main architect to bring out of the wilderness
A mention to the hard work of Cameron and of course Benny too

Think the incredibly hard work of Steven Wright gets missed a fair bit as well. People seem to forget under his watch we got the funding for the last redevelopment, always made profits and under his watch from a financial perspective stabilised the club
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2022, 11:03:15 AM »
Happy to acknowledge all those that have contributed. But when we look back this absolute gem of a person led our club to our dreams. Thanks Peggy for everything.
Go Tigers!

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2022, 08:48:40 PM »
Happy to acknowledge all those that have contributed. But when we look back this absolute gem of a person led our club to our dreams. Thanks Peggy for everything.

Totally agree Peggy has been an extraordinary President. She bought a stability our Club had never had and for that we should all be grateful

A few weeks back I looked at the thread about her becoming, some posters on here said some abhorrent things, misogynistic comments. Fast forward to now and the same people laud her. How wrong they were
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2022, 03:07:47 PM »
Golden era over as AFL trailblazer Peggy O’Neal shares emotional message with Richmond fans

The first female president in AFL history has opened up on her time in the top job of a Victorian powerhouse club.

Sarah Burt
7AFL
20 December 2022

The first female president in AFL history, Peggy O’Neal, has said an emotional goodbye to Richmond, the club she has been at the helm of for just over nine years.

In a video post by Richmond, O’Neal reflects on the club she took over in October, 2013, and says she “always felt like (she) belonged”.

“My time at Richmond has taught me a lot about patience,” O’Neal said.

“It’s taught me a lot about how great people can be … it’s taught me a lot about unity, and a common endeavour and how good people can do great things.

“At Richmond, I’ve always felt like I’ve belonged as an American and as a woman, because, I guess also in football clubs, if you have time to volunteer, there’s always a job for you to do.

“So whenever in other circumstances, I might have felt I didn’t belong, I just reflected back that I belonged at Richmond.”

The 69-year-old American-born lawyer became the AFL’s first female president in 2013 and has been on the Tigers’ board for 17 years.

Her reign saw a 37-year premiership drought end in 2017 followed by back-to-back flags in 2019 and 2020.

In her final letter from the president, O’Neal said: “I find myself reflecting on how much we have achieved in the past decade. I do so with an enormous sense of pride.

“And I say ‘we’ because it is the collective that has delivered so much. And it is the collective that will do so into the future. Sustained success is built on these foundations,” she wrote.

“This game we play, this club we love, is in a state of perpetual motion. All of us – board members, players and staff, members and supporters – are part of it for a moment in time and we all aim to leave it in better shape than we found it for future generations.

“The role of the powerful Tiger Army has been profound and will continue to be our source of strength.”

Tuesday marks John O’Rourke’s first day as president, taking over the reins at the AGM on Monday night, having been on the board since 2015.

O’Neal now sets her sights on her new role of chairing the organising committee of the 2026 Commonwealth Games to be held in regional Victoria.

“I have been honoured to serve as your president for the past nine years,” O’Neal said.

“I have had a wonderful time and I hope that you have too. Thanks to all of you who have taken the time to tell me your stories about what the club means to you; I enjoyed them all.

“Finally, it is farewell, not goodbye. I look forward to seeing you all at the football … Go Tiges!”

https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/golden-era-over-as-afl-trailblazer-peggy-oneal-shares-emotional-message-with-richmond-fans-c-9217610