Author Topic: Draft analysis: First round picks since 2013 (HeraldSun)  (Read 879 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Draft analysis: First round picks since 2013 (HeraldSun)
« on: January 24, 2023, 07:27:47 PM »
Draft analysis: Who are this decade’s first-round misses?

They’re a prized commodity – first-round draft picks – but what happens when your club’s pick fizzles rather than fires?

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-draft-analysing-all-18-clubs-firstround-picks-since-2013/news-story/745d86f2a6314571131dcebd461e00da

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Draft analysis: First round picks since 2013 (HeraldSun)
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2023, 10:10:10 PM »
Hmmmm not great is it. Hurts plenty when you acknowledge we took Lennon before Cripps, although you can do that with most drafts.

All the same without Rioli there and Gibcus looking good after one season it's quite disappointing and makes you wonder how the club would be faring now with some dynasty guys retiring if we had another 3-5 good players coming through.

Best silver lining is knowing we got Bolton at 29 and that was the Vickery compo I think?

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2023, 12:07:33 AM »
If we did draft a ‘gun’ with all those first round picks, would they have stuck around with less opportunities behind our premiership stars? Would we have been able to retain their next salary after their draft deal with other clubs sniffing around? Would we have been able to recruit the players we have from other clubs when accounting for the cap space the gun round 1 draft picks would have taken?

Take Cripps for example, if we had taken him instead of Lennon, I can see a situation whereby dusty would have walked in free agency as the difference btw our offer and norths would be too much to turn down. If somehow we kept dusty, then there’s no way lynch would have fit into our cap and so on and so on.

What I’m trying to get at is that’s it’s not as simple as just taking out our current bottom 6 players and replacing them with these gun round 1 draft picks.

Broadsword

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2023, 12:25:44 AM »
If we did draft a ‘gun’ with all those first round picks, would they have stuck around with less opportunities behind our premiership stars? Would we have been able to retain their next salary after their draft deal with other clubs sniffing around? Would we have been able to recruit the players we have from other clubs when accounting for the cap space the gun round 1 draft picks would have taken?

Take Cripps for example, if we had taken him instead of Lennon, I can see a situation whereby dusty would have walked in free agency as the difference btw our offer and norths would be too much to turn down. If somehow we kept dusty, then there’s no way lynch would have fit into our cap and so on and so on.

What I’m trying to get at is that’s it’s not as simple as just taking out our current bottom 6 players and replacing them with these gun round 1 draft picks.
Good point. Could have done a GWS.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2023, 06:45:57 AM »

Interesting perspective but I guess it's always good having currency whether that be players or picks.

I'm guessing in this situation having Cripps would have meant not trading in Prestia.

Admittedly GWS and GCS always seem to have great draft hands but never success.

Online the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2023, 04:05:22 PM »
Second round picks are only okay as well.

2013 28 went on Hampson disaster.
2014 33 Menadue poor pick
2015 23 for Yarran disaster
2016 29 Bolton. Top pick.
2017 20 CC-J, 25 Balta. One miss one get
2018 43 Ross, At 43 though a second round looks a decent pick
2019 43 Cumberland Looks a good get still early
2020 40 Ryan ?
2021 Sonsie, Banks and Clarke. Sonsie i say is a good get too early to call the rest

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2023, 10:10:49 AM »
4-5 players out of 12 picks there.