Author Topic: All Australian Tigers?  (Read 2217 times)

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: All Australian Tigers?
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2023, 10:43:55 AM »
We all love Dusty but he just doesnt make as a fwd or a mid for me despite having a good season. Not enough goals only 25 and there were more deserving mids.

For me i went Larkey at ff because he kicked 71 goals in what was a wooden spoon side thats some effort.
Walker at chf and again he not only got plenty of ball but kicked heaps of goals 76 of them.. I picked Curnow as the third tall sort of Jack Gunston type again marks goals 78 of them and plenty of ball.

The smaller fwds its the same Cameron kicked 53 goals, Green kicked 60 and Bruest had a great season as a pure fwd kicking 47 goals.
Lets not forget the primary role of any fwd that is to kick goals.

What i dont get is if they want to pick a best 22 then just pick the 22 best players.
If the 22 is based on position then stop muddying the waters and just pick the best players in the roles and stop trying to fit in big names into secondary roles.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2023, 12:33:19 PM »
I think of it the other way. If you had one more forward spot left on your dream team and you had to choose between dusty or Breust who are you picking?

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2023, 07:15:10 PM »
There isn’t a team in the league that plays 6 traditional forwards. There is always atleast one mid-fwd running through there and in that sense I think that’s how they should structure the fwd line. Whether the best mid-fwd this season has been dusty is another conversation.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2023, 02:12:20 AM »
@Hoyney35 has revealed Champion Data's All-Australian team for 2023. 👇

https://twitter.com/1116sen/status/1696450626719519076

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2023, 05:28:18 PM »
'That's the reality': Kane Cornes defends shock omission of Tiger Tim Taranto from All-Australian squad

Anna Pavlou
Nine
30 August 2023

Port Adelaide champion and All-Australian selector Kane Cornes has defended the panel's decision to omit Richmond's Tim Taranto amongst others from the initial squad.

It comes after Cornes was vocal earlier in the season that Taranto "wouldn't be in the top 150 players in the game right now", suggesting the Richmond recruit "didn't influence games".

Despite Taranto's season being touted as one of the strongest, with an elite average of 28 disposals in 2023, Cornes stood firm on the panel's major decision that has left the AFL community scratching their heads.

"There's always good players who miss out. We thought there were midfielders in front of him, that's the reality of it," Cornes said on SEN.

"You can look at his numbers as a lot of people have done, or you can look at his numbers a little bit closer, as we tended to do in the meeting this week.

"He had a very strong season… there's always good players who miss out and he was one of them according to the panel."

Cornes was the centre of criticism regarding Taranto's omission, with Richmond legend Matthew Richardson labelling as "ridiculous" the comments Cornes made earlier in the year.

The panel of 10 selectors included Cornes, Gill McLachlan, Eddie Betts, Jude Bolton, Nathan Buckley, incoming CEO Andrew Dillon, Glen Jakovich, Laura Kane, Cameron Ling and Matthew Pavlich.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/afl/news-2023-kane-cornes-defends-all-australian-tim-taranto-gryan-miers-omission/32e21931-d20b-4f95-83f6-59b6ab8f679c

Offline JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2023, 08:04:53 PM »
The best course of action is for Tim to have a big pre-season & prove Cornes wrong ... more wrong, even ...

It must be good to be a journo with the right job to spend all year potting a player & then also be on the AA selection committee where you can campaign to leave the said player out of the AA squad, thereby proving yourself to be right!   *clap clap ... *crickets ...       :-\
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2023, 09:34:57 PM »
None
Unleash the tornado

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2023, 09:41:26 PM »
I think of it the other way. If you had one more forward spot left on your dream team and you had to choose between dusty or Breust who are you picking?
Bruest based on this year for the role of fwd. Its an AA team and there are plenty of mid /fwds in it as it is.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2023, 09:48:54 PM »
Bruest based on the fact he's not a Richmond player.

e.f.a  :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2023, 10:09:12 PM »
 :biglaugh :biglaugh :biglaugh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2023, 10:11:32 PM »
Thats pretty ordinary
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2023, 11:09:26 PM »
This AA team would get smashed by every other AA team by 10 goals …

Offline Hart4Jack

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2023, 11:54:25 PM »
Who has Tom Stewart got photos of, he never seems to miss selection  :thumbsdown

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2023, 06:57:41 AM »
Underwhelming