Author Topic: Hardwick's 300th game as coach this week  (Read 954 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Hardwick's 300th game as coach this week
« on: March 27, 2023, 06:59:30 AM »
Into his 14th season as our coach.

168 wins
125 losses
    6 draws
-------------
299* games

57.05% win rate.

3 premierships (2017, 2019-20).

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/coaches/Damien_Hardwick.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Congratulations to Damien Hardwick on what will be his 300th game as Richmond coach next round vs Collingwood. A blockbuster game and an opposing coach that he has mentored is most appropriate for the occasion #TalkingTigers

https://twitter.com/trev1712/status/1639756866095022082

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Hardwick's 300th game as coach this week
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2023, 06:32:28 PM »
Gotta admit, after 2016 I never thought he would
Win us a flag. Gotta give it to him, Richmond immortal

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2023, 07:40:20 AM »
He took us from worst team in comp (Dees  even confirmed that they tanked) to the best.
He took us no hopers to truly having no hope at the end of 2016 and then….
With Benny and Peg, a club immortal and one to which we’ll always be grateful
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2023, 10:47:44 AM »
Finals 8 out of the past 10 years .

Remember when we played finals twice in 3 decades .
Unleash the tornado

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2023, 05:10:28 PM »
Not enough made of this. :cheers

Online camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2023, 06:04:17 PM »
So True, now we all take it for granted we will be there abouts as other teams Copy our game plan and pinch our coaches

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2023, 01:46:03 PM »

Hardwick becomes just the 23rd coaching in AFL/VFL history to accomplish this feat.

He is third on the list of most games coached by current AFL coaches, behind Ross Lyon 307 and Alastair Clarkson 392.

He is fourth on the all-time AFL list for most games coached by a one club coach, behind Geelong’s Reg Hickey 304, Essendon’s Dick Reynolds 415, and Collingwood’s Jock McHale 714.

And he will be one of only eight men to have coached 300 games or more at the one club, with the others being Hickey, Reynolds, McHale, Kevin Sheedy (Essendon), Allan Jeans (St Kilda), Norm Smith (Melbourne) and Alastair Clarkson (Hawthorn).

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1293480/dimma-s-major-milestone

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Hardwick happy to continue past 300-game AFL milestone (AAP)
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2023, 07:18:51 AM »
Hardwick happy to continue past 300-game AFL milestone

By Melissa Woods
AAP
March 31 2023

Damien Hardwick isn't putting a timeline on his AFL coaching career after reaching the 300-game milestone in Richmond's clash with Collingwood.

Taking over the then battling Tigers ahead of the 2010 season, Hardwick becomes the 16th man in AFL/VFL history on Friday night to coach 300 games.

But he becomes just the fourth coach in the AFL era to have notched the double - 300 games and three premierships - joining luminaries Mick Malthouse, Leigh Matthews and Alastair Clarkson.

Ahead of the blockbuster MCG clash, Hardwick reflected on his career in the coaching hot seat, steering his team to premierships in 2017, 2019 and 2020.

He also spoke of the lean times like in 2016 when the club missed the finals finishing 13th, piling pressure on his position with club president Peggy O'Neal and chief executive Brendon Gale unwavering in their support.

"It's a great honour (to reach 300) especially to be a part of this great club," Hardwick told reporters.

"It's just a reward for you know, everyone in our organisation really. I've been very, very fortunate to work with some great people, work with some great players.

"To think about probably the bravery that Peggy and Brendon showed when things weren't going so well in 2016.

"I'm forever indebted to those people in particular, but I think it's a measure of a successful organisation they back their people in and I'm very fortunate to be a part of it."

Asked whether a coach could stay too long in the role, Hardwick felt there was no end date as long as he continued to evolve.

The 50-year-old says he always looks to improve through reading or mentors from inside and outside football.

He said Melbourne NRL coach Craig Bellamy in his 21st season with the Storm was an "incredible example," while he also mentioned ex-AFL coaches Kevin Sheedy and Mark Williams.

"Part of my challenge and the challenge of coaching full stop is you're cooking your sausages in different ways to use, I think, an Allan Jeans (coach) analogy," Hardwick said.

"One of the things I pride myself and our club on is consistently improving in certain facets of our development.

"The reality is as soon as I stop improving, that's probably the time that I leave so that's a challenge that everyone in our footy club is charged with.

"It's something I do reasonably well. "

https://www.yasstribune.com.au/story/8142658/hardwick-happy-to-continue-past-300-game-afl-milestone/