Author Topic: Take Punt, Tigers - Sheahan's Sheedy View  (Read 2971 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Take Punt, Tigers - Sheahan's Sheedy View
« on: June 23, 2004, 10:44:19 AM »
Take punt, Tigers
23 June 2004   Herald Sun
Mike Sheahan

IF I had to guess the name of Richmond's coach in 2005, it would be that of Rodney Eade.

Quite happily, too, as he is a coach of experience, imagination and renewed enthusiasm.

Yet, there is a persistent suggestion Kevin Sheedy shouldn't be dismissed from calculations, despite the widespread view he merely flirts with his first AFL love.

If I were running Richmond, I would test the water; up the ante. Now. The Tigers are so desperate they must take a risk, a calculated risk, and a $3m-plus tilt at Sheedy just might be a risk worth taking.

It would be a huge investment. Dangerous, too, given Richmond's financial history.
Yet, it would be close to a gilt-edged investment.

As zany as Sheedy can be, he has been a constant in league football for more than 800 games over almost 40 years. The constant in his career has been success: finals and flags. That's why Essendon wants to keep him. For two years, anyway.

He wants three, yet the two-year offer seems fair and reasonable.

While St Kilda's 2001 commitment to pay Malcolm Blight $1 million a year backfired, the economics stacked up.

The Saints say membership soared from 17,000 to 21,000 that year, which equated to $400,000, with a $500,000 lift in corporate income.

The club's chief executive Brian Waldron said yesterday: "If Kevin couldn't generate $1/2m in membership and $1/2m in corporates, I'd be extremely surprised."

Then there's merchandising sales, the promise of increased television, print and radio exposure, and obvious appeal to any sponsor undecided about ongoing commitment. Like the TAC.

"They (Blight and Sheedy) give people hope; hope there's a future," Waldron said. "Kevin would absolutely pay his way straight up."

Unlike Blight, Sheedy is a package: coach, ambassador, salesman; the face of the club.

Richmond president Clinton Casey couldn't be contacted yesterday, but the thought of landing Sheedy is said to appeal.

John Elliott lured Denis Pagan to Carlton. It was a costly exercise, yet it will be seen as part of Elliott's legacy to the Blues.

If Richmond ever is to win Sheedy's heart back, now is the time. If he extracts three years from Essendon, he won't become available again until the year he turns 60. Too late, even for someone with his insatiable appetite for football, his extraordinary enthusiasm and capacity for change.

Richmond would have to go to at least $1m a year to get him. Probably as high as $1.2m, with a guarantee of three years. If that sounds ludicrous, he would generate his first year's salary within three months. Announce Sheedy as coach and the club would quickly find $1.5m in new or lapsed memberships (6000-10,000), corporate sponsorship, and the return of so many disenchanted and lapsed coterie members. What happens from there is down to faith and expertise, and there's no query there.

The downside is Sheedy's loyalty and the practical considerations like infrastructure.

No club supports its coach better than Essendon does. From the president and chief executive down, and he often needs that support. Money, facilities, support staff and a loyal and large supporter base never are an issue at Windy Hill.

Blight was stunned by what he found at St Kilda. Fortunately for him, he had Peter Jonas and Ken Hinkley in tow.

Sheedy would want his own men, and, most probably, his own recruiting manager Adrian Dodoro. The costs mount. Yet, there are hints Sheedy and Essendon have become a little too familiar with each other, that both could do with a change.
Understandable, too, after 24 years.

Go on, Sheeds, do it. Take the risk. Imagine the satisfaction if it works.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,9926148%255E19742,00.html
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Take Punt, Tigers - Sheahan's Sheedy View
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2004, 10:47:19 AM »
Announce Sheedy as coach and the club would quickly find $1.5m in new or lapsed memberships (6000-10,000), corporate sponsorship, and the return of so many disenchanted and lapsed coterie members.
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,9926148%255E19742,00.html

Although it pains me to admit it  :-\ - Mike is IMO right on the money regarding the soar in membership numbers if Sheedy came back to the Tigers. Ditto the corproate side of things as well.

Offline miastar

• Tiger Rookie
  • For We\'re From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2004, 11:09:32 AM »
I think Sheedy would be great for RFC but I think he is going to stay at Essendon.  Apparently we should know by Friday.

I suppose we can live in hope.  Sheeds would be the ultimate, but anything has got to be better than Danny.

The way he is coaching I think he realises he is never going to be remembered as a great coach so he is going for the greatest cumulative points that a Richmond side has been beaten by in a season.

Offline Disco

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2004, 11:36:21 AM »
For once I agree with Mike Sheahan! Never thought i'd see the day!
We need experience and the figures do add up Sheedy has done it all and listening to him at a club 80 function some months back I wouldnt be surprised if he took the Tigers on, he did say that he would return one day in some capacity lets hope its our coach for three years!

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2004, 12:51:36 PM »
Though I cannot see Sheedy coming back to the RFC as coach, I agree he will be back one day in some capicity.

Like you Disco, it pains me to agree with Mike Sheahan but he raises some very valid points regarding the increase in revenues of having a Sheedy would bring.

I see Wallace in very much the same light.

If you look solely at membership:

I would estimate 35-38,000 members under Sheedy would be a given.

I reckon Wallace would probably land us somewhere between 32-35,000 members.

Eade (IMO) may get to 30,000 members but I cannot see much more than that.

If it is simply a case of boosting membership (and I know that's only part of it) then assuming that Sheedy isn't an option then Wallace has to be the next logical target
« Last Edit: June 23, 2004, 12:53:14 PM by WilliamPowell »

Ox

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2004, 01:17:50 PM »
LMAO
The only reason u all agree with Mike is because he got all his info from the Richmond boards.
LOL.
God I hate him.

Offline Tigertailz

• Premiership Captain
  • "here we go again!"
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2004, 01:31:31 PM »
I think with either at the helm and say 2 finals appearances in a row would be enough to wake the sleeping giant we are and generate even more members(40000+ i believe is realistic)
We haven't had back to back finals since mid 70s.
Consistent success is either unknown or a fading memory for most of us.

Offline Puntroadroar

• Premiership Captain
  • Our Very own Top Gun
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2004, 01:41:08 PM »
mike is a tool

anything he suggests then we should do the opposite, thats how right this guy generally is.

so in say that, should we throw everything at Sheedy? NO WAY
There's no I in team, but there is 5 i's in Individual Brilliance.

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2004, 02:19:02 PM »
I, for one, would absolutely love it if Sheedy came back to coach the Tigers.  If only to stick it up to all those Bummers supporters out there.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2004, 02:19:52 PM »
When Sheahan was on Club Corner a few weeks back, he couldn’t understand why Richmond supporters didn’t rate his opinion.  :-\

He seems to think that he has the same view as us on most matters.

What he fails to realise is that what he ends up writing in his columns, our supporters have been saying for some time.

And often, what he comes up with was a story 6 or so months before he writes it.  By then, it’s not news, it’s just old hat and shows up how much notice he actually takes of RFC. :P
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2004, 03:08:54 AM »
This is 1999 all over again. The bombers offer Sheeds a 2 year deal. Sheeds says he wants 3 and plays hard to get with the Dons showing off the I could leave you and coach Richmond card. Essendon after saying definitely no more than 2 years will all of a sudden in the next few days cave in to 3.

Sheedy was a Richmond player but he is a Essendon man. Was as a kid and still is now.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd