Author Topic: Who should we target in the Midseason draft?  (Read 9519 times)

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Who should we target in the Midseason draft?
« Reply #105 on: June 01, 2023, 06:50:12 PM »
Before this draft I was anticipating we would take a tall forward and one of the reserves boys.
I was eager about which of the forwards we would take and there were about 3 or 4 who looked likely with height and agility.
looking forward to seeing what they had and how they would develop.

Imagine how gutted I am that we took a tiny small forward, again.

Nice one Clarke, you really killed my vibe.
Oh well at least Jack will get yet another year or two or maybe suddenly Ryan and Miller will become that skilled, mobile forward we need.

Online FooffooValve

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #106 on: June 01, 2023, 08:03:41 PM »
Lol at people thinking we have missed Royce Hart in the mid season draft.

Online The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #107 on: June 01, 2023, 08:58:19 PM »

:clapping :lol

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #108 on: June 01, 2023, 09:07:55 PM »

Lol at people who think any mid season pick is gunna be royce hart. Well id laugh if that was the expectation.
I don't see anyone expecting anything other than maybe a decent foot soldier or at best we get lucky and find a diamond in the rough.

Thing is to find the diamond in the rough you have to take the type.
What people are clearly saying is no chance of finding a tall fwd or mid if we continue to ignore taking them.We will always  die wondering because we never have a go at the types we need.

Not just msd picks but rookie picks and late nd picks along with early nd picks we just refuse to use them on you gopt it talls.

They take flankers and smalls because they lack courage in their convictions.That i will leave you to ponder.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #109 on: June 03, 2023, 12:03:34 AM »
I think trying Matt Colina was a pretty bold idea  :help
The club that keeps giving.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #110 on: June 03, 2023, 12:54:55 AM »
Colina was a free hit as a category B rookie. If it doesn't work out which it seems it has then we haven't lost anything.

As for the MSD, I'm fine with picking up a small forward as we need one. We've gone from having five in 2018 (D.Rioli, Castagna, Butler, Higgins & Stengle) to just one (Maurice) and with Maurice injured we're now left with trying to turn Mansell into a defensive small forward. What I'm questioning is us picking up another intercepting/rebounding defender. I'm not trying to knock Trezise but more asking if the selection is a sign that those in charge of our list are losing faith in the HBFers they've drafted in recent years?
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online FooffooValve

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #111 on: June 03, 2023, 11:52:14 AM »
Colina was a free hit as a category B rookie. If it doesn't work out which it seems it has then we haven't lost anything.

As for the MSD, I'm fine with picking up a small forward as we need one. We've gone from having five in 2018 (D.Rioli, Castagna, Butler, Higgins & Stengle) to just one (Maurice) and with Maurice injured we're now left with trying to turn Mansell into a defensive small forward. What I'm questioning is us picking up another intercepting/rebounding defender. I'm not trying to knock Trezise but more asking if the selection is a sign that those in charge of our list are losing faith in the HBFers they've drafted in recent years?

I reckon it is more a case of going with someone who has been showing promise right under our noses. Let's face it, drafting is a crap shoot, and the mid season draft is even more of a crap shoot than usual. Have a look over the past MSDs - the hit rate is pretty low. So may as well go with what you know if they are showing something.

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #112 on: June 03, 2023, 11:56:36 AM »
Does anyone know how or why we lost Stengel??

Online The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #113 on: June 03, 2023, 11:59:38 AM »
Does anyone know how or why we lost Stengel??

The offer from the Crows was exceptional- to good to refuse. 

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #114 on: June 03, 2023, 12:01:26 PM »
Agree MT.

Don’t mind the small forward pick but taking another back flanker was mind boggling to me.

Perhaps not the right thread but reaching for Brown over JVR will also prove to be a disastrously dumb decision. 

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #115 on: June 03, 2023, 09:30:45 PM »

Silly comment.

You can absolutely get quality players in the MSD and rookie drafts. .

The likes of Mihocek, Stewart,  Marlion and Newcomb were taken from state leagues.

Why not try to find the next Mihocek?

He’d be pretty handy in our team right near I would have thought.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #116 on: June 03, 2023, 09:44:16 PM »
Grimesy

Pickett

Ash johnson

Dean Cox

:shh
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online FooffooValve

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #117 on: June 06, 2023, 08:01:02 PM »

Silly comment.

The likes of Mihocek, Stewart,  Marlion and Newcomb were taken from state leagues.

I didn't mention rookie drafts. There are numerous examples of good drafting there, not the least of those on our list.

There are fewer examples of hits in MSDs. If I'm not mistaken, mid-season drafts are different from rookie drafts, with a smaller pool of talent and less long term exposed form against like-for-like talent.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #118 on: June 06, 2023, 09:58:41 PM »

Silly comment.

I didn't mention rookie drafts. There are numerous examples of good drafting there, not the least of those on our list.

There are fewer examples of hits in MSDs. If I'm not mistaken, mid-season drafts are different from rookie drafts, with a smaller pool of talent and less long term exposed form against like-for-like talent.

Answer me. Why is the msd different to rookie drafts?? Both drafts you have an opportunity to take a kid who has been overlooked or a mature player who has been overlloked.

In both cases you have had extra time to judge them by especially with players who have been overlooked who are older. In a way clubs should not be getting these picks wrong.

Online FooffooValve

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #119 on: June 06, 2023, 10:26:20 PM »

Silly comment.

Answer me. Why is the msd different to rookie drafts?? Both drafts you have an opportunity to take a kid who has been overlooked or a mature player who has been overlloked.

In both cases you have had extra time to judge them by especially with players who have been overlooked who are older. In a way clubs should not be getting these picks wrong.

The mid-season draft is largely comprised of players that have been overlooked in every draft until then, so it's the "best" of the rest. It's not a fresh batch of rookies immediately after the ND. All I'm saying is the chances of finding anything other than a reasonable foot soldier or role player is lower than prior drafts in which these players have been available, hence the Royce Hart comment. And I'd much rather go with players we've had a good look at (eg in our VFL program) to increase the chances of a hit of some kind.

Not sure that is so controversial or "silly". Just making a comment about people getting their knickers in knot about addressing or not addressing clear holes in our list in a MSD. The trade period and national draft & rookie draft far, far outweigh the MSD in terms of how we go about fixing holes in the list.

That said, I wouldn't have minded Jai Newcombe! Reckon he is the pick of the MSD bunch over the past 3 drafts.