Author Topic: List management: Keep, trade or delist?  (Read 37902 times)

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
Re: List management: Keep, trade or delist?
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2023, 09:08:28 PM »
Alright how do we get back into the draft/acquire young talent.
We have few players we can/should trade that would get us 1st round picks but we may have to lose a couple to ensure we don’t completely bottom out in a few years. A really quick overhaul of our young players on the list is an urgent issue imo because this group will not takes us forward.

FA is the only real possibility and that comes at a cost. case in point blues. saad, mcloivin and zac williams thats 2 mil right there and they are average IMV, esp the last 2. No one like ben king would come to us. I would have my money that he goes to the pies.

No team wins flags without top end talent and what we have now is former top end talent, which means our only real possibility is 2024 as we totally stuffed up in getting hopper. A tom mitchell would have been better if it was all about staying in contention.

Only shai, lynch, and noah would demand a first rounder, broady and dusty second. The rest late second to nothing.

The writing was on the wall was there 2 years ago, but the coaching department were dilusional and thought another flag was possible. To copy the cats which rarely happens was fanciful, and has set us back.

i see us completely having to bottom out to acquire a top end midfielder, much like the hawks and eagles are doing.

You are bang on here FJ.

At end of day I still agree with what we intended to do. One last try vs accepting we are done and rebuild. A set back of 1-2 years is worth trying to get one more I honestly think. This is different to Hawks error who weren't successful at all and finished top 4 on the back of a lucky draw and results and got thrashed in finals.

Go Tigers!

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2023, 09:10:13 PM »
Here's a hypothetical for you:
If the Eagles finish last would you entertain trading Shai Bolton for Pick 1.
Would the Eagles be tempted?
Which club would have to add more to make it happen?

Seeing that Harley Reid is a Victorian they might but they'd play hard ball in wanting some good shiney steak knives with it. Bolton is probably too old to be part of their rebuild.

They want someone younger and pretty good as well. Bolton and Baker would be something I'd expect they'd ask for.

Baker is actually a player a wouldn't trade personally.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2023, 04:54:06 PM »
as much as i didnt want both of them, namely Hopper, you have to feel for them.  This is not great for them no matter how its dressed up. It has backfired big time IMO.

They were sold a pup for at least the next 3 years which takes Hopper to 30/31.

I would seriously look to trade Hopper to a club that is competing, and pay some of his wage to get back into this draft.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Broadsword

« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2023, 05:00:16 PM »
as much as i didnt want both of them, namely Hopper, you have to feel for them.  This is not great for them no matter how its dressed up. It has backfired big time IMO.

I would seriously look to trade Hopper to a club that is competing, and pay some of his wage to get back into this draft.
I dunno, I think it sends a horrible message to the playing group and future free agents if we dump him like that out of a bit of buyer's remorse.

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2023, 05:04:24 PM »
Going have to be brave this year simple as that players up for trade and retirements etc not impossible to get back in this years draft with good strategies.

Broadsword

« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2023, 05:07:11 PM »
Salary cap is another issue. Someone has to be left on a big contract.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2023, 05:18:45 PM »

I dunno, I think it sends a horrible message to the playing group and future free agents if we dump him like that out of a bit of buyer's remorse.
If we want to start replicating the sort of idiotic & demoralising club destroying decisions made post '82 and piiss away all our good will that's a sure fire way to go about it.... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline OneEyedRichmond

• Future Richmond star
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2023, 05:23:58 PM »

You’re Cooked

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2023, 05:48:21 PM »
Besides it sending a bad message, we will need TT and Hopper’s experience and hard bodies in the midfield during the next phase.

I am open to trading back into the draft though.

We will need to be very active and creative this summer.

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2023, 05:55:27 PM »
I’m open to trading Dustin if we can get something decent.

At his age, he won’t be part of the next charge and it would free up a lot of cap space.

Broadsword

« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2023, 05:59:41 PM »
I can't even think of stuff like that today.

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2023, 06:00:25 PM »

At his age, he won’t be part of the next charge and it would free up a lot of cap space.

I don’t understand, you’re open to trading dusty, a club legend, but not one of hopper or Taranto
 (2 guys acquired to have our ‘last dance’ as dimma put it. )
If dusty wanted to play elsewhere than that’s different of course

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2023, 06:43:51 PM »

you never know one of them may request it  :shh

Perhaps now yes, but if hopper is say 29 and we are languishing much like the hawks are now its stupid not to part ways.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2023, 08:06:03 PM »

I don’t understand, you’re open to trading dusty, a club legend, but not one of hopper or Taranto
 (2 guys acquired to have our ‘last dance’ as dimma put it. )
If dusty wanted to play elsewhere than that’s different of course

Yes because those two just arrived on long term deals and they should have 5-6 years left and could  be part of the next tilt.

Dusty is coming to the end and I don’t think he’d be up for a rebuild, nor is he likely to here for the next tilt.

It’s not a question of who I love or admire more.  It’s about stage of career.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2023, 09:48:52 PM »
Nope wouldn’t even entertain it . Any draft pick is a lottery . The higher the pick the less risk but a risk nevertheless

I find Bolton's performance a lottery half the time.

Who here said he's the cream on top? So true. Not a player you can build a team around unlike Rance, Cotchin or Jack.

WCE would be mad to do it.
That was me a few weeks ago. It sums him up perfectly. He is not going to get 30 disposals week in week out or 7 clearances or 10 contested possesions. What you will get and mostly do get is periods in games where he has a lot of impact and  long periods where you get nothing.

Has pace and i hate the saying X factor. But his size is a concern when teams clamp down on him.