Author Topic: Dimma quits [merged]  (Read 24137 times)

Offline skiddymcghee

• Future Richmond star
  • "Be the Ball
Re: Dimma quits [merged]
« Reply #315 on: August 26, 2023, 05:41:47 PM »
And Dimmo reckons their list is 80% there.

And they can't beat what was  the 18th placed team

Hmmmmm.

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #316 on: August 26, 2023, 06:31:31 PM »

Hmmmmm.

And they beat us so does that make us the worst team in the Comp. Their future is bright imo but I’m not sure if you’ll ever get the buy in from the players up there.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #317 on: August 26, 2023, 07:52:53 PM »
Tend to agree Sim.

They've been paying big $$ to their young players before they've really earned it simply to hold onto to them

Which makes you question how committed they are in chasing the ultimately prize
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #318 on: August 26, 2023, 09:00:07 PM »

Hmmmmm.

Probably just making sure they don't slip down the draft a spot

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #319 on: August 26, 2023, 09:54:52 PM »
Mick Malthouse on Damien Hardwick

Coaching legend MICK MALTHOUSE says no one should be surprised by Damien Hardwick’s move to Gold Coast, but Richmond fans are entitled to feel angry.

Mick Malthouse
HeraldSun
August 26, 2023

It’s not surprising that Damian Hardwick has ended up at Gold Coast.

The initial surprise was that he chose to resign at a critical moment in Richmond’s season.

However, it now appears that he had concluded that the Tigers would struggle this year, and perhaps for the next two or three years until they could re-emerge.

And the thought of mounting losses and rebuilding clearly didn’t appeal to him, having already done it at Tigerland.

His early days at Richmond were ones of struggle, where his methods were questioned and there were calls for his demise.

He’s lived through that pain and that innuendo and maybe the mind didn’t want to go there again.

He has the luxury of three premierships under his belt, so he was in high demand.

No one really thought it was going to be anyone other than Hardwick to coach the Suns once Stuart Dew was shown the door.

Hardwick has stated that 80 per cent of the Suns’ current players will play in the club’s first premiership. It’s a big statement but probably true. So, for Hardwick, it seems like he has made the right move.

https://www.codesports.com.au/sport/afl-news-mick-malthouse-on-damien-hardwick-luke-beveridge-and-underpressure-coaches/news-story/01e6a41616ef0449811887065fa234a7

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #320 on: August 27, 2023, 08:12:18 AM »
80 percent of next Premiership lost to a team trying to rank and head lost 20 games in a row. Good luck.

King is 23. Don't make finals by year 2 and he will look to come home. End of GC.
Go Tigers!

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #321 on: August 27, 2023, 08:25:54 AM »
I think this thread should be discontinued.

Dimma won 3 flags for us

Let’s move on

Offline Tiger_In_Sicily

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #322 on: August 27, 2023, 03:34:36 PM »
I think this thread should be discontinued.

Dimma won 3 flags for us

Let’s move on
It wasn't just dimma

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #323 on: August 27, 2023, 07:55:27 PM »
Danielle would like this thread closed.

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #325 on: September 05, 2023, 01:26:09 AM »
https://twitter.com/FootyonNine/status/1698674748849353032?s=19

'You owe the Tigers': Caroline Wilson grills 'disrespectful' Damien Hardwick after inconsiderate Richmond comments

Anna Pavlou
Nine
5 September 2023

Caroline Wilson has grilled new Gold Coast Suns coach Damien Hardwick's "disrespectful" behaviour towards Richmond after his "generous" exit from the club back in May.

Hardwick signed a monster five-year deal with the Suns despite stepping down as Tigers' coach, citing a "burnout" mid-season.

"Some of Hardwick's recent behaviour has not sat well with Richmond people," Wilson said on Nine's Footy Classified on Monday night.

"Disrespectful, Damien. And you didn't even rule out having a crack at Dusty (Dustin Martin) either.

"Surely you owe the Tigers a bit more than that after they released you pretty generously, one and a half years early from a lucrative contract."

Hardwick spoke openly at the Suns' press conference announcing him as their new coach at the end of August, likening his new playing list as a "set of brand new toys".

"I'm waking up on Christmas Day to a set of brand new toys," Hardwick said in the press conference.

"I've got a great new bunch of toys that I'm really looking forward to working with."

But the comments didn't sit well with Wilson, who took them as a stab at the playing group he left behind at Richmond.

"I think it was this comment that was a bit too much for some Tigers," Wilson said.

"A three time premiership coach earns you a lot of meal tickets ... but I think when Richmond people saw the comment about 'Christmas Day' and 'all the toys' ... I think that was a little bit too much.

"I think Richmond should remain a no-go-zone."

Despite Wilson grilling Hardwick's inconsiderate behaviour, Essendon great Matthew Lloyd applauded the new Gold Coast coach's forward approach in attempt to sell the club and its dream.

Footy Classified is now available as a podcast! Subscribe/follow via Apple, Spotify or Google Podcasts

"I think when you've got 30 or 40 players standing behind, in a way it's selling yourself to them and telling them ... that they can be the next premiership players," Lloyd said on Monday night.

"Richmond people should just move on. It's a good thing that he's moved on, so they can move on as well."

https://wwos.nine.com.au/afl/news-2023-caroline-wilson-calls-out-gold-coast-suns-coach-damien-hardwick-for-disrespectful-richmond-jabs/3b2d2be5-118b-46ee-8e1e-ae7b9212d382

Online Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #326 on: September 05, 2023, 07:38:08 AM »
Dimma has showed his true colours - selfish campaigner

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Balme responds to ‘made up’ reports of Richmond unrest with Hardwick (RSN/ZH)
« Reply #327 on: September 06, 2023, 08:16:11 PM »
“He’s one of ours”: Tigers advisor Neil Balme responds to ‘made up’ reports of Richmond unrest with Hardwick

“The fact that she’s relying on ‘Robbo’ for information means that I reckon she’s making it up.”

Jack Jovanovski
zerohanger.com
September 6, 2023

Richmond senior club advisor Neil Balme has responded to reports of the club's unrest with Damien Hardwick departing Punt Road for the Gold Coast.

The Tigers missed the finals this season as three-time premiership coach Hardwick departed his Punt Road post in the middle of the season, leaving assistant Andrew McQualter as the interim man at the wheel.

With the club's off-season having officially begun, Richmond is in the process of sourcing its new full-time senior coach, with McQualter, along with a host of others, throwing his hat in the ring.

Balme joined Daniel Harford on RSN Breakfast on Wednesday, addressing recent conjecture surrounding Richmond's coaching vacancy.

"That's the challenge, how do you cope with it (missing the finals)? You're not supposed to win them all, so you've got to accept that a bit, and it's sometimes a bit of a rebirth," began Balme on Wednesday morning.

"That relates then to the fact that we're making a decision on coaching as well, which in its own way is probably a great opportunity for us to say 'Okay, what do we really need? Where are we with this?' and start again.

"Whether it's (Andrew) McQualter or someone else, that will be worked out over this month, but we're in a reasonable position from that point of view; we can at least make a decision on that, not that we'd probably love to sell out 'Dimma', but that's what has happened, and he's been brave enough to tell us how he felt, which is not always the way in footy."

During the week, veteran journalist Caroline Wilson reported on Footy Classified that some figures at Punt Road haven't been particularly pleased with Hardwick's recent dealings.

"Now the dust has settled on that extraordinary timeline between quitting Tigerland — burnt out at the end of May — to turning up as a rejuvenated and regenerated man in Gold Coast red at the end of August, some of Hardwick's recent behaviour has not sat well with Richmond people," Wilson detailed on Monday evening.

Balme responded to that report before delivering a dig to fellow travelled journalist Mark Robinson, who regularly appears on Fox Footy's AFL 360.

"I heard [her report] just before because I don't rely on those shows for my football information," laughed Balme.

"I do know 'Caro' very well and she's a terrific person and we're good friends, but I feel sorry for the media people at times because they've got to come up with a story, and that's kind of what that is.

"I mean, what does Richmond really think? We think Damien's one of us, he's been wonderful. Would we prefer that he was still coaching us? Probably, but you know what we're most proud of? Is that he was able to come to us and say 'I reckon I've puffed out, I reckon I'm done, I've been here for a long time and I think I'm not getting the point across and I'm not sure that I've got the energy to do it, and I'm going to tell you that'.

"The fact that he's finished up at Gold Coast, well he's one of ours, and we're not necessarily barracking for him when we play them, but footy's better off with people like Damien Hardwick in it, so we're happy he's there.

"It's a bit like who's the coach at Collingwood? He's (Craig McRae) one of ours. Who's the coach at GWS? He's (Adam Kingsley) one of ours. They've come through our program and we're really proud of that, and we love to see that.

"Now, I kind of get what 'Caro's saying, but the fact that she's relying on 'Robbo' (Mark Robinson) for information means that I reckon she's making it up. Have you ever heard her say "'Robbo' said" before? I don't reckon she has that often."

Balme also voiced his opinion on the concept of succession planning with coaches, noting its rare success and maintaining his confidence in Richmond's handling of its vacancy.

"To say that we didn't have a succession plan, can you have a succession plan while someone's your senior coach? I don't reckon you can," Balme continued.

"What's he going to think? It's rare that it happens and, really, what would you do is what we're doing now. The coach, finally, has had enough and we start again and see what we can find, and in a lot of ways it's a really positive thing for Richmond that we've got an opportunity to reset ourselves.

"We need to find the coach that we need ... You get to start again. So, it's not so negative as it's Damien's been wonderful for us and we love him ... But we've also got to listen to what the people say, and what he said is he's done, and we've still got to make a decision, but I think it helps us rather than hurts us."

The Tigers are expected to come to a conclusive head-coaching decision after this year's finals series winds to a close.

https://www.zerohanger.com/hes-one-of-ours-tigers-advisor-responds-to-made-up-reports-of-richmond-unrest-with-hardwick-142970/

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #328 on: September 06, 2023, 08:30:27 PM »
Thanks Balmey. Hopefully that shuts up the whiners.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #329 on: September 06, 2023, 08:47:16 PM »
Thanks Balmey. Hopefully that shuts up the whiners.

You'd hope so but I reckon it's highly doubtful
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)