Author Topic: Adem Yze is our new coach [merged]  (Read 70246 times)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Adem Yze is our new coach [merged]
« Reply #645 on: September 21, 2023, 09:05:17 PM »

I'd be very happy for Lambo to take over from Morris as VFL coach.

Yep, I'd be rapt to see that happen
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #646 on: September 21, 2023, 09:11:51 PM »
Adem Yze appointed new coach of Richmond

Michael Gleeson
The Age
September 21, 2023 — 8.40pm

Former Melbourne star and respected assistant coach Adem Yze has been appointed the new coach of Richmond.

The Richmond board met on Thursday afternoon and ratified Yze as the new coach of the Tigers to replace Damien Hardwick, who quit mid-season and has now been appointed the new coach of the Gold Coast Suns. A press conference to announce Yze’s appointment will be held on Friday.

The club confirmed the decision on social media on Thursday night.

After a long process the final decision was down to a choice between caretaker coach and popular long-term Richmond assistant coach Andrew McQualter and former Melbourne player, Hawthorn assistant coach and current Demons assistant coach Yze.

“Tactically he is as good as I have seen. He sees it really well, he sees what is unfolding before others,” said a former colleague said of Yze. The person worked with Yze in the Hawks coach’s box but did not wish to be named as he works at a rival club.

The length of time it has taken to make the appointment - Hardwick quit the Tigers on May 22 - was latterly slightly complicated by Melbourne’s involvement in the finals.

Yze had been due to have his final interview with the coaching selection panel on Friday and McQualter on Monday with a board meeting on Tuesday night scheduled to make the decision.

With Melbourne playing in a semi-final on Friday night it was agreed it was inappropriate for Yze to be distracted by meeting with Richmond and his interview was postponed to Tuesday. There was insufficient time to digest the final interviews and make a recommendation to the board in time for Tuesday night’s meeting.

The panel made a recommendation to the board on Thursday.

The choice was between McQualter whom the club knew well and represented essentially a continuance of the same football program that the club has been happy with and Yze who is vastly experienced having been an assistant coach at Hawthorn under Alastair Clarkson before returning to Melbourne to work with Simon Goodwin.

Yze offered the attraction of adding a freshness and new ideas to the football program. He is considered to be tactically astute and has run the coaches box for Melbourne, with Simon Goodwin coaching from the boundary.

Both men’s resumes included involvement in extremely successful programs. Yze was at Hawthorn initially as a development coach and then a line coach and was at the club through the three-peat of flags in 2013-15 before moving to the Demons. He was at Melbourne for the drought-breaking flag in 2021.

McQualter who played at St Kilda during their run of grand final appearances was an assistant to Hardwick for Richmond’s three recent flags.

Richmond’s coaching selection panel comprised ceo Brendon Gale, vice president Henriette Rothschild, general manager of football performance Tim Livingstone and general manager of football talent Blair Hartley, former player Paddy Steinfort and Melbourne Storm football operations boss Frank Ponissi.

Steinfort spent five years at Richmond and is Football Australia’s football director after stints at several North American sports organisations, including the Boston Red Sox, Philadelphia 76ers, Toronto Blue Jays and Philadelphia Eagles.

----------------------------------------

ADEM YZE

Only three players have played more senior games for Melbourne than the skillful Yze. An exquisite user of the ball, he was given some credit for the precise foot skills that underpinned Hawthorn's flag threepeat. His return to Melbourne coincided with the club breaking its premiership drought, meaning his name automatically became linked to any senior coaching vacancy. Vied for the GWS and Essendon jobs this time last year, but now gets his chance after a thorough apprenticeship.

Playing career: 271 games for Melbourne, 1995-2008

Playing honours: Melbourne b&f 2001, All-Australian 2002. MFC life member.

Coaching experience: Hawthorn assistant 2012-20. Melbourne senior assistant 2021-23.

Premierships: Assistant coach at Hawthorn 2013, '14, '15 and Melbourne 2021.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/adem-yze-appointed-new-coach-of-richmond-20230921-p5e6hn.html

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #647 on: September 21, 2023, 09:14:47 PM »
Been in the game for a long time.
Seen 4 flags at 2 clubs while assistant coach.
In charge of the best midfield in the competition.

Feels like a good call.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #648 on: September 21, 2023, 09:17:21 PM »
From bridesmaid (twice) last year to a beaming birthday. Adem Yze turned 46 today :birthday, and he has just unwrapped the biggest gift of his life. Insiders at the Demons suspected after Yze’s pre-finals bye interview that he was bound for Punt Rd.

https://twitter.com/SamLandsberger/status/1704791353677451438

--------

The last time @Richmond_FC  appointed an untried senior coach who missed out on the Essendon gig it worked out reasonably well. Here's hoping that Adem Yze has similar success.

https://twitter.com/P_T_Ager/status/1704796681211146517

Offline Tiger_In_Sicily

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #649 on: September 21, 2023, 09:23:04 PM »
Don't know about the rest of you but for me something feels absolutely right about this decision. Feel good about it, good vibes

Offline JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #650 on: September 21, 2023, 09:51:46 PM »
I'm kinda pumped with this news!     :cheers

Oooze is the news!   
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #651 on: September 21, 2023, 09:54:09 PM »
Very happy with the selection! We absolutely needed a new voice.

Now for the assistants? Looks like it's slim pickings out there, so I hope Yze has a plan to bring in some of his own men.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #652 on: September 21, 2023, 10:24:57 PM »
So how long of a honeymoon period before sack Yze threads are allowed to appear?

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #653 on: September 21, 2023, 10:29:35 PM »
So how long of a honeymoon period before sack Yze threads are allowed to appear?

I’ll start one.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #654 on: September 21, 2023, 10:30:42 PM »

As soon as people's favourite whipping boys get selected  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #655 on: September 21, 2023, 10:41:04 PM »
FHO !!😜
Caracella and Balmey.

Online georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #656 on: September 21, 2023, 10:41:43 PM »
Yep standards have dropped bigtime skills, kicking,  discipline needs to start there a few players gone slack to.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #657 on: September 21, 2023, 10:56:46 PM »
Any idea what happens with Mini. Personally think it'd be awkward for Yze to come work for the guy who was in charge for 6 months, failed to get the job now works under him.
Go Tigers!

Offline yandb

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #658 on: September 21, 2023, 11:03:19 PM »
Took a while but I believe that Yze is the right choice great work Richmond. :clapping :clapping :clapping

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #659 on: September 21, 2023, 11:23:54 PM »
Any idea what happens with Mini. Personally think it'd be awkward for Yze to come work for the guy who was in charge for 6 months, failed to get the job now works under him.

Mini will join Lyon at St Kilda, watch this space… ;)